The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

But how are they handling it? If you could link me to some articles that prove they’re preparing in BC other than just saying “keep your distance, wash your hands, don’t cough on people” I’d be interested to see what they’re doing. I know as of Friday BC only tested 2,008 people for the virus, that seems like a low number does it not? Be proactive not reactive. If you could show me what the B.C. health officials are doing to be proactive Id be interested to read.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6663168/coronavirus-bc-health-daily-update/

i'm taking a break

have other things to do

this is a real issue

not theoretical

heed what your local authorities are saying

and support and follow their coordinated efforts to implement a local plan

it is folly to second guess this

if adjustments are required to the plan, they will make them

someone has to lead

and devise a plan for us to follow locally

none of us on here can do that

stay safe

https://globalnews.ca/news/6663168/coronavirus-bc-health-daily-update/

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don't have one.  I simply have an understanding of how the virus travels according to an incredibly qualified individual.  If he's right... washing hands - while (again) is a good general step in response to any outbreak) - isn't going to be the ultimate solution (Even though that's the primary one that I've seen suggested by numerous people).  

Again - and I feel like an echoing chamber - Osterholm could be wrong, what I am saying is simply this:  You don't need a medical degree in order to filter the information he's giving.  If he's right, MY responsibility is to be careful about where I find myself as that's ultimately going to be the biggest factor in whether I pick the thing up or not.  If he's wrong.... great, I'm already doing what many have suggested and washing my hands more than I normally would.  

a precautionary approach won't hurt, thats for sure. I'm just concerned that people seem to be valuing external sources more than our local ones who have the complete picture. The BC CDC will be on top of all info, from all credible sources. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a precautionary approach won't hurt, thats for sure. I'm just concerned that people seem to be valuing external sources more than our local ones who have the complete picture. The BC CDC will be on top of all info, from all credible sources. 

and to echo the expertise of our local talent on virus issues

we are a world leader in hiv related issues

we have the best experts on the planet

not sure why people feel the need to second guess local expertise

and prefer others elsewhere

there is no reasonable basis to do so

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

Good read, sounds like they’re taking some precautions but if it’s enough remains to be seen. The fact that they don’t think it’s necessary to postpone large gatherings when we already have cases of community spread is concerning. The hospitals are at 100% capacity which they said they can shift surgery’s to make more room but that’s still a concern. 

They are also saying the risk to the B.C. public remains low, the US government also is saying that and people are scared because of how naive they are being. 

This is a virus that has a faster growth rate than any virus we deal with at the moment. According to countries like Italy if you’re not ahead of it it’s already too late. I hope the BC government is ahead of it.

Edited by Petey40
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

Good read, sounds like they’re taking some precautions but if it’s enough remains to be seen. The fact that they don’t think it’s necessary to postpone large gatherings when we already have cases of community spread is concerning. The hospitals are at 100% capacity which they said they can shift surgery’s to make more room but that’s still a concern. 

They are also saying the risk to the B.C. public remains low, the US government also is saying that and people are at how naive they are being. 

This is a virus that has a faster growth rate than any virus we deal with at the moment. According to countries like Italy if you’re not ahead of it it’s already too late. I hope the BC government is ahead of it.

so what is your coordinated plan

to manage this issue

rather then drum up more anxiety and hysteria ?

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and you do this

without regard to what they have been saying

because you have not in fact

reviewed in the greatest detail

what they are saying

you just have a perspective of doubting what you hear from local government

and have an inferiority complex

that locals could have the same expertise as an expert online

???

am i wrong ?

I do this because some people have general knowledge while others have an expertise in a given area.  Love that our local guys and gals are working hard, respect what they do (I have family and good friends working healthcare in BC so I've got a soft spot for them) But, they're processing information second hand as well AND might not be certain whether it's airborne or not yet.  I certainly have no problem one way or another with them pushing for lots of handwashing as it's not going to hurt but I suspect we may see further steps sooner than later IF Osterholm is right and it's airborne.  

For the record if Osterholm was from BC I'd give him no more or less credit than I give him being from somewhere else... it's his area of expertise that gives him a leg up in my books.  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i hear these sorts of statements all too frequently

what would that achieve?  what are you thinking is achievable?

the virus is here.  it will be everywhere.  the issue is how to manage it in a coordinated manner so as not to exhaust medical facilities.

there is no way on this earth to prevent the virus from entering any country or city

it is merely a matter of time.

the issue is how to manage the outbreak so that it does not overwhelm.

it has to be faced inevitably.

we can do it the south korea way or the italy way.

south korea still operates socially.

italy has shut down.

Well it could have delayed the spread of the virus to allow us to better be able to treat it, most viruses like this in the past also lose strength over time as it mutates and warmer temperatures also help weaken the virus. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK.. but its not like he's out there doing the research personally. Everyone is getting the same data. 

I highly doubt everyone is getting the same data... at least not at the same speed.  The next couple days will tell if we see BCCDC starting to suggest forms of isolation as a result of the disease being airborne.  Like I said...Osterholm could be wrong, I just tend to trust someone who has expertise in a given field to be a step or two ahead of most others.

• Like 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Well it could have delayed the spread of the virus to allow us to better be able to treat it, most viruses like this in the past also lose strength over time as it mutates and warmer temperatures also help weaken the virus. 

the quality of your post

confirms you are guessing

you'd rather guess

then defer to expertise

go ahead

no one can stop you but yourself

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I highly doubt everyone is getting the same data... at least not at the same speed.  The next couple days will tell if we see BCCDC starting to suggest forms of isolation as a result of the disease being airborne.  Like I said...Osterholm could be wrong, I just tend to trust someone who has expertise in a given field to be a step or two ahead of most others.

The data from China can’t be trusted.  That’s the same country that vilified the doctor who raised initial concerns.  F China’s government.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

so what is your coordinated plan

to manage this issue

rather then drum up more anxiety and hysteria ?

Did you even read what I said? I never claimed to have a plan, I said I hope the BC government has a plan and is right because other countries echoed the same things BC is saying and they’re getting overwhelmed right now. 

To assume it can’t happen to us because we have good health experts seems incredibly naive. Other countries also have amazing health experts. Maybe it’s time to cancel large gatherings and move towards lock down. Maybe it’s time to start creating drive through testing facilities like South Korea and testing everyone. It’s happening uncontrollably all around the world so it just doesn’t seem likely that the risk to the public is low. But I hope I’m wrong.