The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But, but it’s on YouTube, so it can’t be correct.....

It's true we all need to be mindful of the source of the info we get.  Spread of false info is what they call infodemic. 

I think Canada is doing better than US. We are getting clusters of outbreak in NYC, and several of my coworkers are already in isolation.

We got positives cases at my hospital. If the model is correct, we are only 9 to 10 days behind Italy. 

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

What does this do to the draft if they resume playing in July?

I think the league is anticipating about a month long pause, resuming regular season play around the time playoffs would be starting, finals would go into July, draft late July/early August I would guess. The season would be cancelled if they didn't start back up until July.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canadian said:

I was someone who wasn’t too concerned about the initial outbreak in December/January - despite living in the epicenter. I imagined the 20-odd cases would go away and life would return to normal.

But having lived through this whole thing in China, I can’t help but feel there is a lot of downplaying in other parts of the world until it’s too late. Will most people be fine? Yes. Is there a potential for a lot of deaths? Absolutely. Entire country’s medical systems are being ravaged by this, and it would be nice if there was just a little more preparations going on. Not travel bans-perse, but a recognition from the public that this $&!# is serious. Before it’s too late 

to effectively deal with this issue

a coordinated effort needs to happen in each jurisdiction

but as is becoming apparent on these boards

there is a high degree of reluctance to follow local expertise

everyone believes they can determine for themselves

the medical information gleaned online and from other sources

about what is worthy of their attention

and behaviour

this will disrupt and negatively impact coordinated efforts

to deal with this outbreak

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Michael T. Osterholm is an American public health scientist and a biosecurity and infectious disease expert.[1] Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota and a Regents Professor, the McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, a Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the University of Minnesota Medical School,[2] all at the University of Minnesota.[3] He is also on the Board of Regents at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.[4]

Can't believe how many people are dismissing the clip.

People need to watch it.

Have you seen the whole interview?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It's true we all need to be mindful of the source of the info we get.  Spread of false info is what they call infodemic. 

I think Canada is doing better than US. We are getting clusters of outbreak in NYC, and several of my coworkers are already in isolation.

We got positives cases at my hospital. If the model is correct, we are only 9 to 10 days behind Italy. 

For sure. Osterholm is an extremely credible source though and Rogan’s platform allows him to explain at length without interruption from sponsors. It’s a worthwhile video to explore. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Its mind blowing how this whole thing is being handled. On one hand you have experts saying that the virus

doubles every 4 days, then you have China saying that the numbers are leveling out only 100 new cases. You

have Italy's numbers doubling but somehow in China the deaths and the number of new cases are leveling out. 

If we look at China then this is all just a fart in the wind and nothing to worry about. But if you look at Italy we 

should be very worried. 

2 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Its mind blowing how this whole thing is being handled. On one hand you have experts saying that the virus

doubles every 4 days, then you have China saying that the numbers are leveling out only 100 new cases. You

have Italy's numbers doubling but somehow in China the deaths and the number of new cases are leveling out. 

If we look at China then this is all just a fart in the wind and nothing to worry about. But if you look at Italy we 

should be very worried. 

China’s government can’t be trusted. Xi Ping is an authoritarian and a dictator. 

They downplayed and kept hidden information about this virus. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

are they in BC? no they are not. Lets listen to our BC experts. 

He could be in a tent on the Summit of Everest or doing a spot on Sesame Street for all I care, he's one of the most qualified people in the world to listen to on this subject. I have no idea why you or Coastal are attempting to discredit him as a viable source. It's entirely possible to view both as credible sources.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It important to get information from qualified people. Oyster Holme is an extremely qualified scientist who specializes in infectious diseases. 

COVID-19 is an infectious disease. A disease that has spread globally. 

Maybe it’s possible to listen to him AND local BC experts.  

Amen.

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

Can't believe how many people are dismissing the clip.

People need to watch it.

Have you seen the whole interview?

Yup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

should be very worried. 

They also used measures to contain the virus that simply aren’t possible in western nations. We lack the resources, man power.

16 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Just a note, but I'll be taking efforts to remove any misinformation and trolling from this thread. Some guidelines:

• Don't spread misinformation, troll or encourage drama (fake news etc), 
  • Please post sourced information rather than speculative drama
  • No accusations of ethnic/racial groups. 

thanks also for pinning this thread

it likely will become the go to thread on these boards for some time going forward

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He could be in a tent on the Summit of Everest or doing a spot on Sesame Street for all I care, he's one of the most qualified people in the world to listen to on this subject. I have no idea why you or Coastal are attempting to discredit him as a viable source. It's entirely possible to view both as credible sources.

actually you're kind of getting your back up for no reason. If you want to listen to generalized info, thats fine. It doesn't do you nearly as much good as listening to people who are paying attention to the actual details in BC. 

Just now, coastal.view said:

thanks also for pinning this thread

it likely will become the go to thread on these boards for some time going forward

Having our own medical professionals in BC doesn’t make the international experts any less credible. Like others have said you can listen to both opinions which I retract my statement about not looking at BC health experts. I will follow both local and international viewpoints. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

do not be obtuse

i did nothing to discredit him

i said neither you or i

are qualified

to vet his information

we have more qualified people to do that

and should rely on them

over videos found on the internet

that does not devalue what he might have to say

just give his information the proper context

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It important to get information from qualified people. Osterholm is an extremely qualified scientist who specializes in infectious diseases. 

COVID-19 is an infectious disease. A disease that has spread globally. 

Maybe it’s possible to listen to him AND local BC experts.  

but he can't tell you anything about whats going on in BC, and it could be misleading if he's talking about things from a US perspective. IMO its important to cut out the noise as much as possible and listen to the BC CDC. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

should be very worried. 

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, forget what page. The whole country has been locked down for a month. Wuhan, for 52 days. The only reason numbers have now dropped to 13 (as of today), is because nobody is leaving their communities. Ordering food through community groups that essentially deliver to your door. If BC said tomorrow, no one can leave your house - then, yes, this would blow over. Problem is, that’s not going to happen - and of people are thinking everything will be fine, it’s going to get worse before better.

• Cheers 2