The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing Proposal] A realistic way of signing Travis Hamonic without a trade

Read the post before answering, would you bring in Hamonic in this scenario  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On December 19, 2020 at 2:42 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I said no because I think we can get him for less than 3.5, probably closer to 2, 2.25 in that range thanks to the covid cap. 

This would be a smart move Hamonic we could sign between 2 million - 2.3 Million X1 year....30 yrs old, 6'2, 210lbs solid D man plays 21 mins a game last year..

Really a #4 D man plays with lots of grit and he could move up to #3 with injuries......

Maybe move Benn if we get a chance....

Hope Ferland stays goes on injury reserve and doesn't try a comeback? He tried 3 different times last year all times resulting in serious headaches again..

He is young with a family and a life to live after hockey..Hope he stays away..

Don't get me wrong I love his style of game but he can't play that way with scare of another concussion...

Edited by wildcam

On December 19, 2020 at 5:23 PM, -AJ- said:

I firmly believe Hamonic will be signed by a team at a huge discount due to the COVID cap.

Hamonic wants to play out west, Calgary, Vancouver, Jets, Ducks, Edmonton, Sharks......Heard last week Calgary and Vancouver were the front runners for his service...

On 12/20/2020 at 6:28 AM, Arrow 1983 said:

From the CBA. ARTICLE 50 50.11-50.11 

(e) Roster Emergency Exception.  In the event that (i) a Club has Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000 (i.e., that Club's Averaged Club Salary is greater than the Upper Limit minus the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary minus $100,000); (ii) a Player on such Club becomes unfit or unable to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) or is suspended; (iii) such Club is unable to sign and/or Recall a Player with an Averaged Amount equal to the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 under the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception; (iv) as a result of such Player being unfit or unable to play or suspended and the Club having Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000, the Club has fewer than eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goalies ("18 and 2") on its Playing Roster (pursuant to Section 16.4(c)); and (v) the Club played its previous game with fewer than 18 and 2 (a "Roster Emergency"), then such Club may, beginning with the second game and continuing with all subsequent games and without any charge to the Club's Averaged Club Salary for the duration of such Roster Emergency, add to its Playing Roster the requisite number of "emergency replacement" Player(s), provided, however, that (i) each such Player may not have an Averaged Amount that is more than the then-applicable Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 (e.g., $625,000 in 2012-13); and (ii) each such Player may only remain on that Club's Active Roster during the period of the "Roster Emergency." (i) The Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonus of any Player added to the Playing Roster pursuant to this Section shall be included in the Players' Share. (ii) No Club shall be limited in the number of times it may invoke the Roster Emergency Exception in any League Year, provided that the Exception is at all times invoked in full compliance with this Section 50.10(e). 

They are apparently adjusting that rule for this season.  It won't be necessary to play 1 game short-handed + the cap of the recalled player will be increased from 800K to 1M.  

12 hours ago, wildcam said:

This would be a smart move Hamonic we could sign between 2 million - 2.3 Million X1 year....30 yrs old, 6'2, 210lbs solid D man plays 21 mins a game last year..

Really a #4 D man plays with lots of grit and he could move up to #3 with injuries......

Maybe move Benn if we get a chance....

Hope Ferland stays goes on injury reserve and doesn't try a comeback? He tried 3 different times last year all times resulting in serious headaches again..

He is young with a family and a life to live after hockey..Hope he stays away..

Don't get me wrong I love his style of game but he can't play that way with scare of another concussion...

now that we know its going to be a regular 23 man roster + 6 on the taxi squad my guess is Benn will be parked in the "+6" group if they can land Hamonic for that, since it saves 1 mil and for that he's OK as injury depth. 

Ferland... I just hope he doesn't permanently injure himself in another shot at coming back. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is Sami Vatanen an upgrade over Travis Hamonic?  

To be honest, I’m not sure if Hamonic really moves the needle much for the Canucks.  Yes he can play the shut down role but he seems to be a poor man’s Tanev.    If I understand correctly, Vatanen can also play that role but can also bring it offensively with that point shot of his.   IF Vatanen stays healthy, he’d be the much better add would he not?  

None of these guys are going to break bank this year given the Covid situation, so couldn’t a guy like Vatanen also he had for 3.5 million on a 1 year?     

6 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Is Sami Vatanen an upgrade over Travis Hamonic?  

To be honest, I’m not sure if Hamonic really moves the needle much for the Canucks.  Yes he can play the shut down role but he seems to be a poor man’s Tanev.    If I understand correctly, Vatanen can also play that role but can also bring it offensively with that point shot of his.   IF Vatanen stays healthy, he’d be the much better add would he not?  

None of these guys are going to break bank this year given the Covid situation, so couldn’t a guy like Vatanen also he had for 3.5 million on a 1 year?     

Either one would be a huge upgrade for the team.  My preference is Hamonic, as he is very good on the pk, would be great alongside the two rookie LDs and plays a tough, physical game.  I also think he can be had for a lot cheaper than 3.5m for 1 year, as he has self enforced limitations on where he will play (Western Canada).

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/17519/travis-hamonic

A talented and hard-nosed two-way defender with good offensive instincts and even better defensive perception. Excellent four-way mobility up and down the ice. Backchecks hard and keeps the opposition to the outside. Creates energy through his gritty, physical brand of hockey, most commonly on display in the defensive and neutral zone. Blocks shots well and understands how to take shooting and passing lanes away. Sees the ice well and makes crisp, tape-to-tape passes. Has the ability to be a noticeable difference-maker in games and works hard at all aspects of his game. [EP]

• Cheers 1

Recently I wrote the topic "A realistic way Of signing Travis Hamonic without a trade". Those who responded kept mentioning that 3.5million was to much ( I would like to point out that was my highest $ value for him on a one year deal and I agree he could sign for less). So I went back on Capfriendly and started playing with the numbers again using the information suggested by those who commented.

Here is my revision,

The Canucks would be just over 3.5million under the cap with a few roster moves and Ferland on LTIR. If the Canucks were also to move Benn to their taxi Squad keeping in mind he would still have to clear waivers it would free up another 1.075million as a buried contract leaving the Canucks just over 4.6million under the cap. Assuming the Canuck fans on this forum are right both these players may be signed for around 2.25mill (I understand some of you believe even less if so great but for this proposal I am using 2.25 million).  

The Roster I worked out with Ferland on LTIR Benn clearing waivers and signing Both Vatanen and Hamonic @2.25mill and a few other roster moves I will point out a little later;

Cap Hit $81,351,878  Cap Space remaining $148,122

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Sutter

Motte Beagle Hawryluk

MacEwen

Hughes Schmidt

Edler Myers

Vatanen Hamonic

Rafferty (He is interchangeable with any of our other young Dmen) 

Demko

Holtby

Eriksson and Baertschi are not on the roster I personally wouldn't even have them on a taxi squad both should be sent to the AHL.

My taxi squad would look something like this Forwards; Hoglander and Bailey, Defenseman; Benn, Juolevi Rathbone, Goalie Depietro 

• Wat 1

Just now, ImConfused said:

And a whopping 148k of cap wiggle room lol

4/10 needs more TRADES 4 DRAFT PICKZZ

I will bet you some people are going to say these guys can be signed for cheaper 1.5 million or so and I explaind in my last proposal why a team really doesn't need cap space it is called emergency call up

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Would rather wait a couple of months and sign Podkolzin and if possible, Tryamkin.

This doesn't stop them from signing anyone, Podkolzin will sign for rookie Maximum only thing we don't know is how much his bonuses will be. We do know that those bonuses are most likely not going to be Max Cause he wasn't a top 5 pick and player bonuses do not count against the cap they would be carried forward. But for the most part it would be hard for him to even achieve them. If anything he would sign so he can burn 1 year off his ELC Benning does like to do that and Podkolzin would benefit greatly being able to train and practice with an NHL roster on the taxi squad. 

They Can still sign Tryamkin as well. Both these players will still have to win a spot on the team if so someone will be moved to the taxi squad.

Edited by Arrow 1983

13 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Ferland's contract isn't insured for concussion as per Elliot Friedman.

Ownership might not want to spend an extra 3.5 mil?

Prospects are plentiful and cheaper.

Let's take a bit of risk and see what we got.  

No body can know what any ownership is thinking this is why this forum is called arm chair GMing. Even I know that the likelihood of this coming true is unlikely but this forum is for fun. I am not A GM and never have been 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I'd just like to point out this would be the deepest and best defense in the Canadian division by far, and one of the best in the league.

it might be. I do think Hamonic would be enough tho, I'd like to see Juolevi get his chance. OTOH its nice to load up on defence for this weird year too.