The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that confuse you - the megathread!

Rate this topic

ImConfused

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

1. All languages are derived from Latin.

Of course.  The roots of Chinese go back up to 6000 years while Latin, which started in 700 BC, must still somehow be its ancestor. RIIIGGHHHTTT.

On the question of ethnicities, I'm confused as to why Asians are considered an ethnic minority when Asians make up 2/3 of the world's population?  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Of course.  The roots of Chinese go back up to 6000 years while Latin, which started in 700 BC, must still somehow be its ancestor. RIIIGGHHHTTT.

On the question of ethnicities, I'm confused as to why Asians are considered an ethnic minority when Asians make up 2/3 of the world's population?  

I know. Sssshhhh. I must be right on this point or else I will feel small and stupid. 

• Haha 1

Why are some dudes wearing tights with a mid thigh crotch line?

I'm confused. 

Tights can be functional and fashionable but when the crotch sits close to the knee the tights just couldn't possibly function properly and it looks even more ridiculous than a dude just walking around in regular tights.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Why does the first pancake burn or not come out properly but every other one after it is fine? 

First one never seems to cook right, because the pan isn't heated up yet. That's why the rest turn out fine.

Or at least one side doesn't turn out as good as the rest. 

Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 12?

(I'm pretty sure the answer is money, which is why I get the six packs of buns and smokies)

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why didn't they use a shorter word for "abbreviation"?

They originally did. The original Latin word is brevis, meaning ‘short’. 

Also, if one does indeed find the word abbreviation too long, they may always use the abbreviation for abbreviation, abbr or abbrv.  

• Upvote 2