The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

For me, it blends in....I hardly even notice it's there.  I'm not sure why people are whining and griping about something so insignificant.  Especially after a year of COVID...let it go.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Agreed, rather have small helmet ads so we can play the games than no helmet ads and no games.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Your question?? Guess I missed it. I have not lived in an English speaking country for 12 years. It happens.

You are getting really triggered for a simple conversation about one player and their overall value to the team at this stage in their career. Feel free to quote me and say I told you so if what you say happens.

Another point, I see Mac and Gaud covering different roles. Gaud as a top 6 winger for Bo to harness the O that we both agree that he has and Mac as a bottom 6 crasher. 47% FO means he needs to be sheltered.

Was your question about the PP and who replaces Gaud there? I have not thought about it all that much but I can take a crack at it.

Let me see. The lines I posted were.

Boes - JT - Petey

Pear - Bo - Hog/Gaud

Mac - Sutter - Virt

Motte - Beags - Rous

Edler - Sch

Hughes - Ham

Juo - Myers

So, 

PP1

Petey - JT - Mac - Edler -  Hughes - Mac is a big body in front of the net looking for garbage to scoop in

PP2

Boes - Bo -  Virt - Sch - Myers - Bo in front of the net. Virt is in Ovie's traditional spot.

Again I have not thought it out but there are still plenty of options. Gaud does not make or break anything. 

very interesting stuff, not gonna happen but still interesting.

• Cheers 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

For me, it blends in....I hardly even notice it's there.  I'm not sure why people are whining and griping about something so insignificant.  Especially after a year of COVID...let it go.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

The worry is that more logos will be on them in the future BUT I’m tired of worrying about things like that, with the covid etc! It’s time to look at what we have here - A Canucks hockey season - and be super grateful for that. I know I am!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

38 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

.....Virtanen's legs...

Also Rafferty isn"t getting much time to show his stuff....

I don't think Rafferty is going to get regular playing time.  The PTO and impending signing of Hamonic all but guarantees that, IMHO.  My expectation is that the coaches see Juolevi as a better option than Rafferty since he's more steady in the defensive zone but can still contribute with the breakout.  The question to me is how the Canucks will manage Rafferty's usage.  Will they send Rafferty to Utica or keep him on the taxi squad?  My guess is one of Chatfield or Rafferty will be demoted but in deciding to demote anyone, quarantine requirements will make it challenging for them to bring in anyone from Utica up quickly.

There are going to be some interesting decisions.  Based on what we're seeing so far, I could see the following:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Sutter/Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Holtby, Demko

Depending on how management wants to manage the cap and player availability:

Healthy Scratches:  possible none or some mix of players from the Taxi Squad except for Eriksson to the max 23 player roster 

Taxi Squad (max. 6):  Eriksson, Baertschi (over Bailey and Lind), Benn, Rafferty or Chatfield, Hawryluk (over Graovac), possibly Gaudette/Sutter, possibly Rathbone depending on whether the team will keep any healthy scratches that are not on the taxi squad

LTIR:  Ferland

Management could shock by demoting Eriksson but I have a very hard time seeing that happening.  The cap benefit of either having him on the taxi squad or in Utica is the same as far as I understand it.

There was talk of Lockwood being a potential surprise to make the team but I have a hard time seeing him make it based on his development and cap constraints.  It's probably better for a guy like Lockwood to play in Utica instead of just practicing and watching games.  He seems unlikely to get into the line-up outside of some major problems.  Michaelis has looked decent but I also think he would probably be seen as being better served by playing in Utica this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, ruilin96 said:

Agreed, rather have small helmet ads so we can play the games than no helmet ads and no games.

Exactly!   Perspective.   Do what you have to in order to keep this thing going.  Hell, they can skate around in sandwich boards as long as they put the puck in the net.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think more than his actual commentary, his always smiling/having a great time with hockey is infectious.  The guys who play for the love of the game are my favourite.

As well as his skills, a real breath of fresh air on the backend 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Poor Willie D, this is what he had to work with, and he took the fall hard. 

Not saying that I want him over Green right now, but imagine this and the recent incarnations of the kings being his only NHL shot... YIKES! 

I feel it was more his unwillingness to line match that did him in. My recollection, admittedly suspect at the best of times, was that during the Calgary series when the Canucks were in need of the tying goal he threw out the 4th line instead of the Sedins. Anyway all water under the bridge now as the Nucks have their guy.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think more than his actual commentary, his always smiling/having a great time with hockey is infectious.  The guys who play for the love of the game are my favourite.

Seems like a real fun guy to be around, but I wonder if the older vets are looking at Schmidt like :"shut up already". Watching Benn and Edler's reactions to his yapping on the bench. I happen to love seeing that stuff, not taking everything so seriously, probably good for the young guys too.

Hoglander looks like the real deal.   

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I’m not talking about Journalists or Bloggers, I’m talking about hockey Experts.  You know, people that have been in the business, players, other coaches, scouts  I’m not talking about people like you or me.  

I made a UNIVERSAL FACT about politics in hockey and you Just Can’t Let It Go. 

Do you think Podkolzin would be the 13th forward on his SKA team if he signed with them for 6 years?  You think maybe he’d be treated differently?  It’s called    P   O   L   I   T   I   C S.

Anyway my time is precious and I’ve spent way too much time on you.  

I'm with Millsy in this argument. As far as a given team is concerned, the only opinions that matter are the ones of the coaches and the GM. Opinions of the "experts" is irrelevant. More often than not, people currently employed by NHL teams have better understanding of players and internal chemistry than people who are outside, regardless of their previous experience in the league.

8 hours ago, Millsy said:

Our D is better, and will get even better when Tryamkin signs 

Our forwards should be better from experience and potential of Hogs if he sticks and Podz coming 

Goaltending is the only question. Can Demko show he can handle the number 1 and continue his great play from last playoffs, I hope so and he has it in Him. And can Holtby bounce back?

If our goaltending can be as good with this tandem, it really comes down to health, some luck and chemistry. I do think we can win the Canadian division and make the semis. I don’t see any teams that we can’t compete with for a cup either now. I do think our window has opened now and it’s about the above and how badly we want it

I don't think Tram will ever play here again.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Wish Rathbone could also play on the right side effectively so he can make Benn redundant... but then again we kinda need Benn's toughness and experience.... I guess half a season of AHL hockey with big minutes won't hurt Rathbone's development too.

8 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Any word on when Hamonic will be joining the team?

I believe 4 more days?  Traveled here on the 3rd?

Hamonic is traveling to Vancouver from Winnipeg today and will begin a seven-day quarantine as outlined in the NHL's COVID-19 protocol. He will join the Canucks Training Camp, presented by TD, once complete.

• Thanks 2