The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 139 players | Jan. 11, 2021 (Eriksson, Baertschi, Brisebois, Graovac, Sautner, Bailey from Canucks)

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Only move I disagree with is Bailey.    I think that kid is still an NHL player.

has speed and size too bad he doesn't use his size in a more physical way, speed with size AND Grit would be a great addition to the 4th line. But, think Macewen is ahead of him on depth charts and has similar attributes. I am hopeful he goes on the taxi squad and my dreamworld has LE shunned to Utica...which likely doesn't happen

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Poor Sven....

Finally goodbye Loui... one of the worst UFA signings ever for the Canucks.

For the time, he was brought in to extend the Twins dominance and I am sure Linden helped that push given his tie to the Sedins (that was Linden's undoing, not allowing a full rebuild).    The market of the day and LE's record to that point made this a reasonable signing at the time.   Hindsight is everything but to say it was "worst signing ever" is a bit much as there was both push and logic at the time IF the Canucks were going to still try and compete then.   Another route, and one I thought was a better option myself, would have been not to do this and also to have moved Sedins (from a hockey move) but I understand why it wasn't done....inclusive of the Canuck President at the time.

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

has speed and size too bad he doesn't use his size in a more physical way, speed with size AND Grit would be a great addition to the 4th line. But, think Macewen is ahead of him on depth charts and has similar attributes. I am hopeful he goes on the taxi squad and my dreamworld has LE shunned to Utica...which likely doesn't happen

I think Bailey has waaaaay better hands then Mac.    Just me maybe.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Chatfield requires waivers and just happens to have a 700K cap hit.  So looks like he would be the league minimum contract that brings them to 81.49M.

Hawryluk is not on waivers though.  

The Canucks would be above 81.5M by only demoting Baertschi/Eriksson and having both Chatfield and Hawryluk on the roster.  That seems to suggest that Hawryluk could start the season on SOIR (season opening injured reserve).  Or they are using a different approach to maximise LTIR relief.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For the time, he was brought in to extend the Twins dominance and I am sure Linden helped that push given his tie to the Sedins (that was Linden's undoing, not allowing a full rebuild).    The market of the day and LE's record to that point made this a reasonable signing at the time.   Hindsight is everything but to say it was "worst signing ever" is a bit much as there was both push and logic at the time IF the Canucks were going to still try and compete then.   Another route, and one I thought was a better option myself, would have been not to do this and also to have moved Sedins (from a hockey move) but I understand why it wasn't done....inclusive of the Canuck President at the time.

By this logic, there is never a bad move by any GM in the league.... Every move AT THE TIME was done for a reason.  The point is, we reflect and evaluate those transactions after they come to fruition to determine if they were good or bad moves.  

In this case, the signing of LE was one of the worst signings the Canucks have ever made.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

By this logic, there is never a bad move by any GM in the league.... Every move AT THE TIME was done for a reason.  The point is, we reflect and evaluate those transactions after they come to fruition to determine if they were good or bad moves.  

In this case, the signing of LE was one of the worst signings the Canucks have ever made.

Your take but holy hyperbole Batman.    Hindsight is easy.   At the time, the move made sense IF the Canucks ownership/President felt they could still compete.     The reasoning made sense from that mindset.

Your insistence on placing this all in GM when clearly he was one of the rebuild mentality (clearly after Linden was gone) seems pathological.   That is for you to deal with and that's more than fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Your take but holy hyperbole Batman.    Hindsight is easy.   At the time, the move made sense IF the Canucks ownership/President felt they could still compete.     The reasoning made sense from that mindset.

Your insistence on placing this all in GM when clearly he was one of the rebuild mentality (clearly after Linden was gone) seems pathological.   That is for you to deal with and that's more than fine.

I think you're missing the point.  What I'm saying is that any move, by any GM, on any team, in any era would have ALWAYS been made for a rational reason AT THE TIME the transaction occurred.  Based on your logic, that would mean that no transaction in the history of sports could ever be called a bad transaction LMAO!

Clearly there are a lot of people on here that don't have a strong grasp on the English language.  So I'll spell it out for those individuals...

In hindsight, as we evaluate the signing of LE, we have come to realize that it resulted in one of the worst signings (but not the absolute worst) of a player based on production per salary and cap hit.

• Wat 1