The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it even possible to "fire the coach" this year?

Rate this topic

VforVasili

4 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

But many posters on these boards keep calling for the firing of Green early so that they "have time to turn it around", implying the team is only terrible because of the coaching and we would become contenders under a different system. My point is that isn't happening this year. 

Sadly, I'm hoping the boys have a mediocre shortened season, miss the playoffs, and management parts ways with Green in the off-season. I'm growing tired of watching the same brand of chip and chase hockey with this roster filled with elite offensive talent. Our guys deserve better and Greener has proven that he's a one trick pony.  His style may work in the AHL but it has not been working at this level and he seems unable to make any adjustments.  He took a shot but its time we move on. 

Edited by CptCanuck16

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Sure.... if you fire the coach it is because you are terrible.  You just make an assistant the interim coach for a couple weeks and the new guy does some Zoom calls to tell his staff about some changes to systems he is looking at so they can prep.

If you are switching a coach because of just a two week window that would have stabilized anyways, then that is a bad decision to start with.

Green and his staff will dig there own grave - PERHAPS it is just a matter of time unless the team turns this around in the next few games.  Good point though, that it is probably early still in this shorten season to be over reacting (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

8 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Am I missing something.. why couldn't the new coach just arrive two weeks prior to start the quarantine process before the current coach is fired? It's not like you fire a guy before having his replacement ready to go.. 

Perhaps hire the 'Potential' replacement as a an assistant to really stir the pot; at this point, the team needs a jolt of energy/new voice in the locker room.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

17 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps hire the 'Potential' replacement as a an assistant to really stir the pot; at this point, the team needs a jolt of energy/new voice in the locker room.

Any coach willing to sign on under those terms is not a coach we want on our team. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

Any coach willing to sign on under those terms is not a coach we want on our team. 

Good point, that is why I said PERHAPS (just brainstorming) and I dont see JB doing something like this anyways.  Regardless, the team is playing sloppy with 10% of the season done.  I hope to see the rookies play more since this (shorten) season is looking like a regression but who really knows cause they are just a winning streak away from salvaging this season...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Just think if Green got fired and one of his assistants like Baumer or Newell Brown had to be the interm coach for 2 weeks. Wouldn’t that be a hoot. 

That would indicate the team is using this shorten season to regroup for next when some of the anchor contracts are gone.   Kent Johnson would be a nice add - hoping to finally get our first ever 1st OA pick or trade it for assets.

Imo, one of the best way to run a team to ground would be to hire a coach that is not ready or have no business being in that position.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

That would indicate the team is using this shorten season to regroup for next when some of the anchor contracts are gone.   Kent Johnson would be a nice add - hoping to finally get our first ever 1st OA pick or trade it for assets.

Imo, one of the best way to run a team to ground would be to hire a coach that is not ready or have no business being in that position.

Is Willie Desjardens still available?

I do believe there is a reason why Green has not been given an extension yet, management isn't sure so they're evaluating it this year, the only question is how long will they want to evaluate it for. My gut tells me if Canucks continue to struggle Green could be on a short leash, it all depends on how bad they struggle but obviously if they can turn it around Green will be given the rest of the year to be evaluated more, but if they don't turn it around I do believe a quarantined coach might be brought in to help turn it around if the Canucks keep struggling.

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Would Baumer or Brown as Head Coach suffice for you ?

It’s funny as I spent a couple years back in the 90’s in Kamloops and took in a lot of Blazer games. After seeing guys like Iginla, Dolan, Baumer play impressive hockey and seeing Baumer on Team Canada ( captain perhaps) I actually thought he was going to be the biggest star in the NHL lol.

Time for the entire coaching staff to go. After this game it is clearly a problem with systems as opposed to talent. There have been too many times we have been burned trying the same predictable gamble plays. As well as far too passive in the defensive zone for too many years. Really need to get on the phone to start interviewing guys like Gallant, Boudreau or even Todd Nelson or Dan Bylsma I'd even say someone like John Stevens deserves consideration. At least all those coaches have either won at every lower level or are established, successful, experienced NHL head coaches

I was optimistic about Green after he took the Comets to game 6 of the Calder Cup finals but he is clearly no longer the coach for this team. We obviously need a change of perspective from the top all the way down when it comes to coaching staff. PK has been a disaster under Brown and Baumer simply has never impressed me as a D coach and this year is a tire fire.

I noticed last year that Green was probably over his head coaching an NHL team. He was OK when we didn't have much skill and his style of play was "sufficient". As the team got more talented, his inabilities started to show. Marky made up for his deficiencies, otherwise complaints about him from the fans would have been far worse last year. 

Now that the team is in a funk, his lack of any kind of adjustment is obvious. His "go to" , as it was last year, is to mix up the lines to see if he could get a different outcome. Thats it. 

He has no idea how to handle players who are on a hot streak or those that are struggling. He has his "favorites" which breeds animosity among the players and it may explain the teams inability to gel this year. A lot of individual play going on and no cohesiveness. 

I am wondering why we don't have an "energy line" that can get the team going when we come out flat. How about a shutdown line? His "go to" is play the kids and play them often, period. No strategy, just play them, no matter what. 

Its maddening to watch as a fan because it is the same old boring strategy that doesn't work. 

After experiencing a few great coaches over the years on this team, we have struggled with the last 2 who have similar strategies which are not effective. Time for a coach that can take the team to the next step. 

6 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

It’s funny as I spent a couple years back in the 90’s in Kamloops and took in a lot of Blazer games. After seeing guys like Iginla, Dolan, Baumer play impressive hockey and seeing Baumer on Team Canada ( captain perhaps) I actually thought he was going to be the biggest star in the NHL lol.

Baumer was probably headed in that direction but (perhaps) like his coaching career - instead of pushing through - he simply plateud and accepted it (?).

14 hours ago, GetFocht said:

Hire the new coach behind the scenes earlier. Have them quarantine and then unleash. 

Or make an assistant interim but I think the entire staff needs to go. Too much Canuck nepotism.

Which one of the assistants do you think has earned continued employment, let alone a promotion?