The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Isn't that considered bad Managing then?

If i buy a house, a luxury car, trips, living luxury and have a good job and expect my wages to keep increasing and spend to the fullest of earnings and max out  my paycheque and then i get hurt, or lose my job and covid hits or my health fails and my lose job, is that not bad management on my part for not living within my means? Should i make a million excuses why i lost everything, or take responsibility for how i was spending my entire paycheque (same as cap) and not putting something aside? (just like a team in case of unforeseen events, or a bargain arises,) unless going all in as we did in 2010, one has no reason to be at the cap in the first place when you are no where near a cup team !

I get what you're saying about being conservative.  But it is also a competitive environment and guaranteed ownership wanted it to turn around sooner than later.  In fact, wasn't Linden let go because he wanted a more patient approach?

With the moves JB has made I think context is important.  There have been some distinct re-tool/rebuilding phases compared to where the team is at now.  I do believe once JB gets some cap flexibility back, we will see a very schrewd GM trying to compliment the young core.  

That being said, having 6million in cap space sitting in the press box isn't a good look right about now.   

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Folks it's only ONE game.   Don't over think it.   We lost - it happens - move on. 

Well it's not one game. It's 4 out of 5 games against Montreal, wih the most recent game being the only loss that wasn't totally lopsided. It's plausible to think Montreal ends up the 1 seed and us the 4th seed. If the team doesn't figure this out we're in for a world of hurt.

Edited by MattJVD

Just now, MattJVD said:

Well it's not one game. It's 4 out of 5 games against Montreal, wih the most recent game being the only loss that wasn't totally lopsided. It's plausible to think Montreal ends up the 1 seed and us the 4th seed. If the team doesn't figure this out we're infor a world of hurt.

Well for me at least,  it's been thousands of games.   Linden teams so far were my favourite - i'm happy the internet didn't exist back then. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, MattJVD said:

Well it's not one game. It's 4 out of 5 games against Montreal, wih the most recent game being the only loss that wasn't totally lopsided. It's plausible to think Montreal ends up the 1 seed and us the 4th seed. If the team doesn't figure this out we're infor a world of hurt.

Exactly. There is more to this than one game. This team, with the crap effort they trot out, deserves a world of hurt. 

14 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

if we dont fire assistant coaches we draft top 5 maybe get owen power or luke hughes  not to bad a consolation prize it assures we get jack hughes  as a ufa when hes 27  perfect

And any new young defense prospects will be ruined by the inability for this team to play decent defense.

4 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Hahaha, fair enough. I was speaking this season, with this specific roster.

As far as the current roster goes - i feel that without the division change we'd be a playoff team.   In the one we have now - it's a 3-5 finish.   The team is a lot like when Luongo first came,  or Messier plus one - (one year after he left), or like after the 89 playoffs.   A lot to look forward too, but it's not quite there yet.   JB did exactly what i hoped he'd do - make the tough decisions and not sign any of Markstrom, Tanev and TT ... setting us up for the ED and for the future.    Too many fans seem to miss that point.   I don't think he deserves to lose his job, and I also don't think TG deserves to lose his job either.   For sure expectations went up - but our roster has holes - a top six marquee player (or two if Hogs doesn't work out ), a long term Edler or another top all around top four D, and a 3 C.    On paper that's where we are at. 

47 minutes ago, oldnews said:

First -that's hopelessly oversimplified - second - use some actual fact and show me the last time he "led the leauge in blocked shot"....

btw - Edler has led the Canucks in blocked shots for the past 4 seasons.

Sorry every time I read about how great Tanev is the argument is always how many shots he blocks...so an exaggeration by other people but I have been watching the Canucks for 40 years and I have never felt Tanev was a defenseman who did anything at an elite level he's always been horribly over rated in my opinion

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well maybe we go on another 3-5 game winning streak - then what will you say then? 

Yeah, I was really pleased with the 4 game run, particularly how strong the team was against Winnipeg. If the team can match that effort and execution against teams like Calgary amd Edmonton, we should make the playoffs. But unless they can match that level of play against MTL, I'd be really concerned about a 7 game series with them.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JamesBlondage said:

Sorry every time I read about how great Tanev is the argument is always how many shots he blocks...so an exaggeration by other people but I have been watching the Canucks for 40 years and I have never felt Tanev was a defenseman who did anything at an elite level he's always been horribly over rated in my opinion

To me he's the Dana Murzyn of today's game ... minus the pugilism

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JamesBlondage said:

That seems like an appropriate comparison 

Different era's but both warriors in their own way.  Murzyn could clear the net and even though he didn't fight well was always willing...For the younger generation that grew up watching Tanev fearlessly blocking shots ... well at least he didn't have to fight very scary guys or for team pride because that's no longer a thing.   

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me he's the Dana Murzyn of today's game ... 

how so? Dana could barely skate and froze like a deer when the puck was in between his feet (Myer-esque style mental gaffes)

I look at it this way.  Hypothetically if you put Tanev back on this roster.....you are in game 7 and lead by one goal with one minute to go.  Which D man do you put out there ahead of Tanev?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah, I was really pleased with the 4 game run, particularly how strong the team was against Winnipeg. If the team can match that effort and execution against teams like Calgary amd Edmonton, we should make the playoffs. But unless they can match that level of play against MTL, I'd be really concered about a 7 game series with them.

MTL has our number.   I'd be ok with a 4 game sweep against them.   

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

how so? Dana could barely skate and froze like a deer when the puck was in between his feet (Myer-esque style mental gaffes)

I look at it this way.  Hypothetically if you put Tanev back on this roster.....you are in game 7 and lead by one goal with one minute to go.  Which D man do you put out there ahead of Tanev?

Dana Murzyn lost foot speed but was very effective pre 96... Lumme Murzyn was one of the better defensive pairings we've ever had.   

Point is this:  Tanev is a good defensive D in the league right now - same with Murzyn most of his career.   Do you want 50-60 games of Tanev or post 96 Murzyn on your team?  Not ideal. 

Edited by IBatch