The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

22 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Oilers have only played the Sens twice.  A better benchmark is their record against the Leafs.  They’ve gone 2-2 with all the games being close.  It’ll be interesting to see how Vancouver fares against Toronto 

What is your point? They have the same point as us with one less game played against Ottawa and overall so 2 points ahead while they have the top two leading point generator in the league. Calgary is still 3 games and points behind them so they'll likely be out of a playoff spot when they catch up. They should be way higher with those two thus wasting their talent.

But yeah interesting to see how the Canucks fair with Toronto. If this is only a Montreal thing than we can live with it.

Edited by 24K PureCool

Yep, they really need to figure out why they can't beat MTL. It's kind of ridiculous. 

Sometimes it's tough being a Canucks fan, but that's part of being a fan, sticking by the team even when they suck - I mean struggle. :ph34r:

They've got to get better and win eventually, don't they? Hopefully in my lifetime.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yep, they really need to figure out why they can't beat MTL. It's kind of ridiculous. 

Sometimes it's tough being a Canucks fan, but that's part of being a fan, sticking by the team even when they suck - I mean struggle. :ph34r:

They've got to get better and win eventually, don't they? Hopefully in my lifetime.

I will always support the players, unless they are boneheads, but never do I have to support the coach or management. 

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Benning had the money to re-sign Toffoli.  He wasn’t high on the list of priorities. Benning spent $5.95m on Schmidt and $4.3m on Holtby before he circled back to Toffoli days later.   Even then he still had money to sign Toffoli (as evidenced by the signings of Virtanen and Hamonic well after the Montreal Toffoli deal was announced)

The bottom line is Benning identified how he wanted to spend his budget. Toffoli was a “want” rather than a “need” in his eyes. Blaming the flat cap or Luongo’s recapture penalty isn’t accurate.  If Toffoli  had been a priority they could have signed him 

Free agency was in October.  They didn’t know yet the structure for the season with the taxi squad.  Ferland’s status was still up in the air. To keep Toffoli after adding Schmidt and signing Holtby they had to find a way to clear cap space.  Adding Hamonic was possible because they put Ferland on LTIR.  Ferland on LTIR also allowed to keep more than 20 players on the roster.  

12 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

following a thread on Twitter :   Aquilini said no to making money available to sign Tofolli by way of a buyout of Sutter and/or Baertschi.   I do have the feeling that ownership cheaped out this offseason and the non signing of Tofolli wasn't Benning's call.  I don't care about the current economics of the NHL, this team deserves a real billionaire owner who wants to win at any cost.       

I disagree about the available cap room:

Schmidt - 5.95M
Virtanen - 2.55M

vs

Tanev - 4.5M
Toffoli - 4.25M

We probably could have added a pick instead of spending one, and still been ahead.

9 hours ago, cuporbust said:

I've been defending JB with the same logic for a while. Truth is , it's been 50 years of ultimately losing now. I'm tired . Lol

I understand the feeling. Patience is wearing thin on a fanbase that has been waiting for a championship for nearly half a century now. 

I remember a couple of years ago, when the Cubs won the World Series, and that franchise up to that point, hadn't won a championship for over a 100 years. 

Not saying that we should wait that long, but when they won, the feeling was absolutely amazing because they had to wait so damn long for it to finally come. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Free agency was in October.  They didn’t know yet the structure for the season with the taxi squad.  Ferland’s status was still up in the air. To keep Toffoli after adding Schmidt and signing Holtby they had to find a way to clear cap space.  Adding Hamonic was possible because they put Ferland on LTIR.  Ferland on LTIR also allowed to keep more than 20 players on the roster.  

All true. My point stands that Benning saw Holtby and Schmidt as priorities over re-signing Toffoli. You can argue whether or not that was the correct thinking. But it’s undeniably true 

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've got two boys, so hopefully the Canucks win in their lifetimes!

Mtl and Vancouver in terms of battle level, smart decisions with the puck were night and day. 

Is it coaching or is it the players' lack of attention to detail? 

When we have vets like Beagle cough up the puck trying to make a pass up the middle instead of board and out, it shows the team isn't playing well. 

Miller is on a free skate minus the shift after Hog got hit. That's the only shift he played with some fire. 

We are faster and more skilled than them and similar size. No reason they should be running us out of the rink. 

Mtl is taking direct lines at the puck, we are doing sweeping turns. 

This level of play for a team of this calibre is not acceptable. They need to snap out of it. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

All true. My point stands that Benning saw Holtby and Schmidt as priorities over re-signing Toffoli. You can argue whether or not that was the correct thinking. But it’s undeniably true 

They had no choice but to add a goalie first.  Improving the D made sense.  Once that was done there was just no cap space to bring him back because Benning couldn’t move contracts out.  At the TDL Benning said he didn’t mind giving up the assets because they hoped to have him long term.  At the end of the season he again repeated that he wanted him back and praised his contribution. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Mtl and Vancouver in terms of battle level, smart decisions with the puck were night and day. 

When we have vets like Beagle cough up the puck trying to make a pass up the middle instead of board and out, it shows the team isn't playing well. 

Miller is on a free skate minus the shift after Hog got hit. That's the only shift he played with some fire. 

We are faster and more skilled than them and similar size. No reason they should be running us out of the rink. 

This level of play for a team of this calibre is not acceptable. They need to snap out of it. 

Faster? Debatable. Montreal’s forwards (with a few exceptions like Perry) are extremely quick.  Vancouver does have the couple elite players. But they’re too heavy.  Montreal has 3 very dangerous scoring lines and a quick, competent 4th line.  That allows them to roll all 4 lines pretty evenly and always be on the attack. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

They had no choice but to add a goalie first.  Improving the D made sense.  Once that was done there was just no cap space to bring him back because Benning couldn’t move contracts out.  At the TDL Benning said he didn’t mind giving up the assets because they hoped to have him long term.  At the end of the season he again repeated that he wanted him back and praised his contribution. 

Like I said. Toffoli was seen as a “want” rather than a “need” 

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Well Montreal looks like they want to actually win the game, and Vancouver looks like they just want to complete their shifts. Sounds like coaching to me. 

24 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I wanna see  some Baercheese! Might as well at this point shake things up a bit more. 

Bear Bo Boeser 

Miller Petey Jake

Motte Sutter Guadette

Bailey Beagle Zak

Edler Schmidt  

hughes Benn

Jolevie Myers

so you take Hoglander out and put Jake in? thats crazy

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

Both are in their 4th NHL season. Demko is in his 5th pro season.

Huh? Gaudette was in College 2 years ago, so he was playing in the NHL and going to college? Demko was also a rookie last year.  Not sure where you got your info but its completely flawed.