The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

22 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

tanev is not worth 4.5 mill for 4 more yrs maybe a one yr deal   but 4 no thanks guys not that good  no offense no hitting plus injury prone only a matter of time 

i think that many of the injuries were due to the fact that he played on some pretty bad teams that were pummelled possession wise.  more time spent in the d zone = more time tired, more time blocking shots, more time getting worn down.   it also looked to me as the team got "better" they still played passively in the d zone, meaning they basically let the other team control the perimeter in the D zone and poor ol chris was blocking  shots etc.

if you give him a slightly lesser role on a team that controls the play more, and doesnt really collapse in front of the goalie like the Canucks seem to do, i doubt he gets injured as much.

Out of all the players that left hes the one that will be missed the most. (i know i keep blabbing on about this, but i cant say it enough!).  Just having him here to play with QH while QH got used to a more defensive role would have been worth a 4 year contract.

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Never said they were NHL veterans. I said both were in their 4th NHL season and that Demko is in his 5th season pro all of which are accurate.

If you want to count 1,5 and 9 GP as seasons I guess you are right, clearly as you stated earlier I don't even know the players on the team so I guess I don't even know who we are talking about. I do think that you are smart enough to understand the point I was making and we can discuss semantics till we are blue in the face but you have your mind made up and so do I so arguing further  is pointless at best.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Tanev is one of the best shutdown defensemen in the NHL, period.

Tanev has led the league in blocked shots how many years? That doesn't scream great shutdown defenseman to me that screams spends too much time in his own end...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Tanev has led the league in blocked shots how many years? That doesn't scream great shutdown defenseman to me that screams spends too much time in his own end...

Or that he plays a lot on the PK and gets a lot of D zone starts

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesBlondage said:

First -that's hopelessly oversimplified - second - use some actual fact and show me the last time he "led the leauge in blocked shot"....

btw - Edler has led the Canucks in blocked shots for the past 4 seasons.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Not that good?  His D pairing hasn't given up a 5 on 5 goal all year lol.

The guy we replaced him with hasnt hit or scored either.  Oh, also has been suspect on D.

ya sorry tanev in 2 yrs is another eriksson contract for flames 

Edited by canuktravella
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Tracking technology shows that he’s still very effective at moving the puck out.  

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is one of those "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" type of situations. 

It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation in my books, right now it looks bad so your damned, but 4 years for a Defenseman that has played that hard for so long is a time.  It's one of those flip a coin type of situations could turn out really well for Calgary or in 2 years they could be saying what were we thinking.  Trying to get in Benning's head a little I believe that he thinks we could be contenders in about 2 more seasons so starting the 22-23 season. So the question I guess is will Tanev be worth it then or not? Honestly it could go either way, he could still be a rockstar or he could be a guy who spends more time on IR then not.

Again trying to get into Benning's thought processes, I think the deals he made this summer are all made with more of an eye to the future, it's clearly not working out great so far this year but who knows it might all be for the best in the future. At any rate I agree Tanev is a hell of a defenseman and we miss the hell out of him atm. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wish some people would grow up on this board. They have knowledge which suggest lots of people are not teenagers anymore.

One thing I've learned as a person, a player, and a fan is it's ignorant to call people idiots, morons, or pieces of garbage solely because a sports coach or GM's opinion doesn't agree with theirs. Talk about childish, immature, and arrogant. Would you do yell that at the hockey rink in person if you're watching a practice 20 feet away or having a conversation with them in person? The reality is there are multitudes of ways to build a team and it's super easy to look back and tear it all down. You could do that with all losing teams and then call everyone idiots if it pleases you.

Coach Green is not trying to lose, nor is JB, and neither are the other 20 or so teams struggling to beat the best. Trying to be rationale and accept certain teams struggle is a lot better than just telling people off when they don't just hand you a win every night. In my opinion it means you're being very unrealistic and you're taking it way too seriously when you think you are heads and tails smarter than these guys. Self Delusion and misplaced anger.

The point is we lost to this team  4 out of 5 games. The games were all lost with NO improvement in our play or efforts. Of course we cannot be expected to win every game but we should at the very least be able give the teams we play a battle rather than a blow out. FIVE GAMES and we cannot solve the team to scrape out but 1 win. 

This is what people are saying. Coach needs to watch tape or find a weakness on the habs and show and COACH our team on how to exploit those weaknesses. Not jus the same  ol drop pass..dump and chase. The Habs have us down to a book. We are predictable. Of course this team is not trying to lose...but they sure ain't trying to get better.

tanev love on here is  ridiculous  have you seen flames record right now it isnt that good  even with marky getting 2 shutouts  yes we have played more games but we have a better record than flamers. Yes tanev can block a shot  but u pay dmen 2-3 mill to block shots not 4.5 for 4 yrs   

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

tanev love on here is  ridiculous  have you seen flames record right now it isnt that good  even with marky getting 2 shutouts  yes we have played more games but we have a better record than flamers. Yes tanev can block a shot  but u pay dmen 2-3 mill to block shots not 4.5 for 4 yrs   

PLUS the guy was always injured. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Maybe, just maybe with some time off and time to do a full practice this team can turn it around. At first I thought the mistakes were all physical but not they are looking more mental than anything. The players body language shows it all, and they look and are playing so fatigued. But that being said, if players are making mistakes because they are tired, maybe more of the extras should be rotated in.

They've played 13 games already in like 3 weeks, even I've mentally checked on the team. They need a few solid days of rest and a few good practices, then the mistakes will start going down. Because against Montreal they really shot themselves in the foot, more than Montreal doing the damage. 

I think a well rested Canucks team vs. A tired Habs team, we might have different results. 

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

your claim is incorrect.

the best Canucks on the ice were Beagle and Motte.

They had team high corsi

60.0% and 66.7%

they had 18 of the team's 51 shot attempts.

They also had the lowest ozone starts on the team

16.7%

Both had a point, both were +1 (the only two plus players),  Motte added 7 hits.

Virtanen played well - but wasn't the best Canuck on the ice.

Where I'd agree with you - I'd prefer him over Roussel or Gaudette in the lineup.

It’s mind boggling that the bottom 6 (Beagle, Sutter, Motte in particular) have started the season this well and we’re struggling to stay at .500.  

Hope they can keep it up as the rest of the team figures it out.

Honestly of the past 6 games the first MTL game was the only real stinker.  It’s a new day. There’s hope.

• Cheers 1