The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes leads the league in points for a defenseman...

Yes his defensive game has been a bit suspect but that was never going to be his strength. That’s why you pair him with someone like Tanev.

Benn has played admirably in the short term but that should and will not be considered a long term solution. That’s why we signed Hamonic, who I still have faith will get up to speed as the season move along.

Two different players I know. I was just stating that points aren’t everything when you can’t win hockey games. I’m not worried about Hughes in the slightest and he will get back to the way he was last year. He misses Tanev and it shows. Benn has been pretty solid playing with Hughes but it just ain’t the same. 

7 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Two different players I know. I was just stating that points aren’t everything when you can’t win hockey games. I’m not worried about Hughes in the slightest and he will get back to the way he was last year. He misses Tanev and it shows. Benn has been pretty solid playing with Hughes but it just ain’t the same. 

Points aren’t everything but at least he is contributing on the score sheet.

Lots of other factors playing into our losses than the defensive play of Hughes.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes leads the league in points for a defenseman...

Yes his defensive game has been a bit suspect but that was never going to be his strength. That’s why you pair him with someone like Tanev.

Benn has played admirably in the short term but that should and will not be considered a long term solution. That’s why we signed Hamonic, who I still have faith will get up to speed as the season move along.

TBH i definitely do not give Hughes a pass on defense.  I expect him to be a very good defender. He might not excel in 1 in 1 physical battles in the corners or in front of the net, but everything else (good reads, communication, quick feet, good passes, breaking up plays etc.) I think he should be elite at.  

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Points aren’t everything but at least he is contributing on the score sheet.

Lots of other factors playing into our losses than the defensive play of Hughes.

I have been really unimpressed with Schmidt’s play. On the goal that Sutter was handed the goat horns on was started by a Schmidt giveaway resulting in the play staying in the zone. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

TBH i definitely do not give Hughes a pass on defense.  I expect him to be a very good defender. He might not excel in 1 in 1 physical battles in the corners or in front of the net, but everything else (good reads, communication, quick feet, good passes, breaking up plays etc.) I think he should be elite at.  

He’s also only 21 and in his second season in the NHL.

To expect his defensive game to be a finished product right now is expecting too much.

Thats why you pair him with a vet like Tanev or Hamonic. He’s still got lots to learn when it comes to the defensive side of the game.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He’s also only 21 and in his second season in the NHL.

To expect his defensive game to be a finished product right now is expecting too much.

Thats why you pair him with a vet like Tanev or Hamonic. He’s still got lots to learn when it comes to the defensive side of the game.

No you're exactly right. He still has room to grow and learning.

That being said, I do think he's still very capable right now.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, GetFocht said:

If you don't improve each time you play a team, there is a lack of preparation and coaching. 

The Canucks looked marginally better in the second and if it weren't for Demko it easily could have been way worse. 

This coaching group doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes.

they looked better in the third too!

9 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Wouldn't be surprised. Nucks have played the most games in the league..Kinda hard not to get hurt.

No camp. Straight to full speed nhl. 13 games already.. 

Wouldnt be surprised. Also EP could also have tweaked something. 

Ive had a groin injury and its no fun.. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

No camp. Straight to full speed nhl. 13 games already.. 

Wouldnt be surprised. Also EP could also have tweaked something. 

Ive had a groin injury and its no fun.. 

Been there myself, It sucks and easy to re-aggravate.

Paul Maurice is an excellent coach IMO. When he speaks, you can tell he loves his team, loves his players, only wants what's best. Smart man, thoughtful. He expects excellence, and the players follow. 

Green looks like a deer in the headlights during the media scrum, handing out the usual cliches. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I don't expect him to be a good defender I want him to be a puck mover. He will always be physically outmatched.

That's why you need balance on the backend. I don't want Quinn grinding.