The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, King Heffy said:

Nylander's an easier target.  Pretty easy to bully a coward who's scared of the puck.

I agree. Just keep your head up. The only problem with this team, this system is, there's really is no push back, which is frightening. 

• Thanks 1

I think my biggest problem with the lineup is that they took out Virtanen, Gaudette, and Macewen. They haven't played great but isn't the biggest problem is that the veterens have been making the mistakes not these young guys. It feels like they are putting blame on the wrong guys here. A lot of the major mistakes have been made by older players. It just looks bad that they all get a free pass.

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Time for Green to think outside the box

Let's face it, Hughes isn't a defenseman. He has 15 points, 7 of which are on the powerplay, where he is + 6 Goal differential (he was on the PP for one shorty - Schmidt was on for the other 2).  He has been on the ice for 14 even strength goals (scored 1 himself) but is a - 9 on even strength goal differential (ie,  been on the ice for 23 even strength goals against.) Next worst is Chatfield at a -3 differential,  then Myers at -2. Best is Schmidt at +5, followed by Juolevi at a + 2 differential 

Clearly his value is not defense, but offence.  So play him there.  Bring in Juolevi in his place on left D and play Hughes as a winger.for a few games. He can still man the point on the PP

I’ve been wanting to see that. Hughes could be like a Brent Burns, bouncing back and forth between positions. 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think my biggest problem with the lineup is that they took out Virtanen, Gaudette, and Macewen. They haven't played great but isn't the biggest problem is that the veterens have been making the mistakes not these young guys. It feels like they are putting blame on the wrong guys here. A lot of the major mistakes have been made by older players. It just looks bad that they all get a free pass.

Is it "putting the blame on them"?   Or is it pulling them out of the line of fire so they don't have to absorb this horrible losing streak?  Allowing them to step away from it so they don't own it?

Giving them a bit of rest from it all because this schedule is eating them up and spitting them out.  

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

People think I'm in love with Green but scratching Zack for say Roussel has me scratching my head

This crap about Hughes is getting ridiculous. He was drafted as an offensive defenseman and he is on pace to become one of the best this league has ever seen. His job is not to be great at defending it is to drive the play. It is not his fault that this management can't find a legitimate defensive partner for him.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

People think I'm in love with Green but scratching Zack for say Roussel has me scratching my head

I really i am not seeing any value in Roussel.

He has been taking dumb selfish penalties and frankly not even playing physically. Somehow he seems to have forgotten his role 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

MacEwen actually has played relatively well. I don't know know why Roussel continues to be in the line-up over him.

Exactly. I get it that you are trying to light a fire under those young guys but he has never sent a message to his veterans. Who runs the asylum here? They just do what they want. Those young guys must be thinking " ya but he just threw the puck into the middle or taken a horrible penalty and he's back out there?" They do it and they are pulled from the game. Remember its the veterans making those blatant obvious mistakes for the most part anyway.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

This crap about Hughes is getting ridiculous. He was drafted as an offensive defenseman and he is on pace to become one of the best this league has ever seen. His job is not to be great at defending it is to drive the play. It is not his fault that this management can't find a legitimate defensive partner for him.  

He's not Rielly/Barrie level bad, but if you'r  going to play defense at the NHL level, you have to be competent in your own zone.  Since the enter D coverage is garbage, I'm inclined to at least wait until we replace Baumer with someone actually qualified to coach at the NHL level.  Being an offensive defenseman does not mean it's acceptable to play like garbage in your own zone.

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Time for Green to think outside the box

Let's face it, Hughes isn't a defenseman. He has 15 points, 7 of which are on the powerplay, where he is + 6 Goal differential (he was on the PP for one shorty - Schmidt was on for the other 2).  He has been on the ice for 14 even strength goals (scored 1 himself) but is a - 9 on even strength goal differential (ie,  been on the ice for 23 even strength goals against.) Next worst is Chatfield at a -3 differential,  then Myers at -2. Best is Schmidt at +5, followed by Juolevi at a + 2 differential 

Clearly his value is not defense, but offence.  So play him there.  Bring in Juolevi in his place on left D and play Hughes as a winger.for a few games. He can still man the point on the PP

No.

Many times no. 

Would like Green and co to let Juolevi and MacEwen play. Not perfect players but seem to show some promise and learning each game goes by.

I know they wanna win, but rolling out the same guys who haven't gotten it done the past few games isn't going to do anything new for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1