The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder if playing with seven defencemen is something to consider, like the Leafs are doing tonight. In the short run, it may help with managing minutes, so there isn't as much pressure on players like Hughes. It also gives us the flexibility by seeing different pairings if things aren't going right.

I think that's a really good idea - particularly when they've lost one of their best defensive forwards...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Wow! Do you really want to use Eric Karlsson's contract as a good example of how to build a solid defense?  That contract is a prime example of what you should never ever do. That will screw them for the next 7 years.

What I am trying to get across is that teams need to set a salary structure.   So much for your forwards, so much for defense and the rest for goal tending. If you dump 30 mil on your D then something else has to suffer. Successful teams do this really well.  Vegas wanted to sign Pietrangelo so they moved Schmidt out to make room. They stayed with in a structure. They could do that because they have Hague and Holden coming up through the system. In todays cap world you cannot build a winner through the UFA market. You always pay a bit of a premium and in Jim's case you end up giving out to much term.  UFA's have their place in team construction. It needs to be limited. Plus done for the right reason. The last piece that helps you go for the cup. All in at that point.

OJ has not shown much yet. He has issues with gap control and mobility. I thought Chatfield has looked better defensively. Neither are really trusted by the coaching staff. Time will tell. Remember when Tanev came in? There was no question that he was going to be a solid NHL player. Who is our youthful Tanev?

And Benning is not doing that, hence my confusion with your criticism. We have one, 2nd pair UFA D on highly reasonable, short term, $6m deal. 

And I find it immensely, humorously, ironic that your example of not building a D via UFA is an expansion team that was gifted countless top 4 D, high draft picks etc and then just went and signed the top UFA D, at 31, to 7 year deal just shy of $9m :lol:

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It will be interesting to see who they decide to slot in -- Virtanen or Gaudette?

According to many, they're on the next flight to Boston. I'd love to see both of them in, angry as hell and looking to hit any and everything. 

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

thinking it'd be a good idea to scratch Edler is an absolutely horrible idea - but double down on your pseudo 'eye test'

Scratch him 1 game to send a message to him and the vets. Can't do much worse defensively than what we've shown so far, which has been league worst and pathetic. 

19 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder if playing with seven defencemen is something to consider, like the Leafs are doing tonight. In the short run, it may help with managing minutes, so there isn't as much pressure on players like Hughes. It also gives us the flexibility to see different pairings if things aren't going right.

I agree, I had suggested that last game. We have enough slack on forward that we wouldn't really miss one if he wasn't there. 25% of the game is played on special teams, and TG blends lines a fair bit, so I don't think it would impact the F too much.