The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Miller our Duchene? (Avs)

Rate this topic

Boest-er

So I continually hear and am a big believer that this year will be similar to that of the Avalanche in where we will have a huge step back, but be able to draft high this year and get something solid.

If theres anything else besides having Colorados power i would like, it would be to have the Duchene deal but for us. Duchene was traded to the Sens after their run to the Conference Finals in 2017, from the Avs worst season in history. This trade netted them Bowen Byram and few other goodies since the Sens just fell apart. Anyways do you think the Canucks could actually catch a break and trader Jim can find someone willing to trade an unprotected first for Miller (or any player for that matter, I only choose Miller since he's the oldest and would net the most positives in the long run). Obviously this requires a lot of luck, but I am a big proponent in continually trading young stars for picks in order to keep the longevity of the team by padding them with ELC players rather then losing them elsewhere due to cap reasons.

All in all, do you think Miller would be the first one out? and do you think we could get as lucky as the Avs and get a top player?

Albeit i know this post is long and not really the most well thought out, but I sorta had this idea in my head for a while lol
Flame away :bigblush:

EDIT::: I am not proposing to trade Miller (I actually enjoy watching him play lol), I am just wondering if anyone else has come to the similar conclusion that he could be to us what the Duchene trade to Ottawa was to the Avs

Edited by Boest-er

I'll be very surprised if he's moved, we're not really in a position to move a legit top six guy on a favourable contract out. I expect he'll be retained and we'll take a look at what a top six of Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkozlin, and Pearson (?) looks like next season. Jake could be a wild card, but I don't know if he'll even be on the team come the start of next season. He's more a middle six tweener at this point anyway. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

I've said it before, I always love posts that end with "Flame away"

In response to the question in the thread title, no.

I don't think anyone in management has any intention of trading Miller at this point in time anyway.

I remember lol you said that on my last thread, I have been wanting to make that a sort of signature if i start any topics aha

makes sense, as Coconuts said, they would probably want to look outwards

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll be very surprised if he's moved, we're not really in a position to move a legit top six guy on a favourable contract out. I expect he'll be retained and we'll take a look at what a top six of Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkozlin, and Pearson (?) looks like next season. Jake could be a wild card, but I don't know if he'll even be on the team come the start of next season. He's more a middle six tweener at this point anyway. 

You bring up some good points, I guess the question now is, do you think that we could have our own Duchene or Tyler Seguin, given our future in the next two years, or are we just simply built different? lol

34 minutes ago, Boest-er said:

I remember lol you said that on my last thread, I have been wanting to make that a sort of signature if i start any topics aha

makes sense, as Coconuts said, they would probably want to look outwards

You bring up some good points, I guess the question now is, do you think that we could have our own Duchene or Tyler Seguin, given our future in the next two years, or are we just simply built different? lol

I think we're in a different scenario. Boston had the luxury of just having won a cup when they moved Seguin, we made it into the playoffs and took a bunch of folks by surprise. Boston were contenders, we're a team that can be expected to jockey for the playoffs. It's easier to make drastic surgical moves after having won it all, Tampa could have done it this last offseason and nobody would have been surprised. 

I like the Colorado comparison, but Miller's more fiery than Duchene ever was. I'd argue Duchene has more raw skill, but Miller's more of a competitor. For better or worse with him, it shows on the ice. He's come from a team expected to contend, and had a taste of success in his first season here, now we get to see how he handles some real adversity. 

• Vintage 1

The Duchene trade is one in a million, we won't see another like it for sometime.   Ottawa went from one goal away from finals to dog breakfast fast.   Hard to find that in and of itself.   We'd have to trade to a team for their first a following year, unprotected, hoping they nose dive.   Best i figure we could do is trade to a bubble playoff team that just misses to make it a lottery ticket.    Then we'd almost certainly be picking 14-16th overall, which just so happens to be right around where, well Miller was picked lol.     Don't think this is in the cards for us now.   The year his deal is up, if things haven't changed and he's still a good player, that's when we should be considering trade/recycle him, likely get a similar haul as his cost (an early 20's pick and a 3rd rounder) as a rental.   

The other option is we make a hockey trade with one of our core players to plug up our defense with a young reliable D with upside.     Problem is, we'd be plugging one hole to make another one.   

Feel only our prospects and free agency is going to give this core a chance to contend, which is going to have to include two very good picks over the next two drafts.   Horvat and Miller clock is ticking for sure....

I’m not suggesting it necessarily as I think he could be a good player for us going forward, but I think moving Nate Schmidt at this deadline would be an example of great asset management.

mid we acquired him for a 3rd next year and were able to get say a low first at the deadline for him or something else, that would be excellent asset recovery.

im not sayin he necessarily is worth that, but some sort of deal like that..

as for JT, If the right deal was there like Duchene, then sure. But the way his year is going I’m not sure the return would be great. We’d need to recover at least a first to make it worth it.

Dream world, we move Schmidt and Miller for three 1sts in the draft, but then you risk loosing Petterson and Hughes faith in management taking that kind of step back (though getting Hughes bro in the draft would help, lol)

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Its looks like you're just replacing Pearson with Podkolzin and you think this will make up for all the current defensive and intangible woes the top 6 is currently having? Or are you anticipating a new coaching staff that will implement a new D strategy that the current top 6 can be successful with?

We're not going to get an unprotected 1st for Miller. We should keep him. It's a hell of a statement to guys like Bo that we are trading away a competitive piece so soon after a playoff run. We don't want Bo to be what Ryan O'Reilly was to the Sabres.

Besides Duchene was a three team trade.. very unlikely we can get one done in the flat cap world.

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

This is complete garbage sorry not sorry

How so? I really am intrigued by the Colorado Avalanche and see the comparisons between the two teams. It was more of a thought bubble that came up for me, I have also claimed to not be wanting to trade him, if you read my post. Many other posters have thought I am trying to trade him. Its more of, if we follow into the Avs footsteps would we get our own little Duchene trade, considering the amount of luck required it would be a no. But just something interesting I thought of.

Miller is a fiery guy. He wants to win. He, much like the majority of the team, is dealing with something internally (and by that I mean internally within the team, not his internal organs). I believe Holtby when he says that there is a disconnect. Miller has been the straw that stirs the drink at some points. He's JT Miller, not Matt Duchene. Two different individuals with two different trajectories.

11 minutes ago, Boest-er said:

How so? I really am intrigued by the Colorado Avalanche and see the comparisons between the two teams. It was more of a thought bubble that came up for me, I have also claimed to not be wanting to trade him, if you read my post. Many other posters have thought I am trying to trade him. Its more of, if we follow into the Avs footsteps would we get our own little Duchene trade, considering the amount of luck required it would be a no. But just something interesting I thought of.

Fair enough. Sorry for the flat remark. Canucks need to start winning cause I’m getting a little tired of these kind of threads.. I get what your saying but unlike the Avalanche who really didn’t take a step back when they traded Duchene. We on the other hand would be taking 2 steps back. Miller wants to win and is the type of player you don’t trade, not at his age. He was arguably are MVP last year. And although having what some people say is a tough season he’s still clicking at a PPG

Already a coup when you trade a first round pick for another first round pick and skip all the development years the rangers dealt with, albeit Miller was a late bloomer.

I would not trade him at this moment, PPG player in his prime with good leadership and competitive traits...

I would wonder how Tampa feels right now about the trade, but I would say the Cup takes the sting out of it a bit.

3 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

Its looks like you're just replacing Pearson with Podkolzin and you think this will make up for all the current defensive and intangible woes the top 6 is currently having? Or are you anticipating a new coaching staff that will implement a new D strategy that the current top 6 can be successful with?

I'm just working with who I figure will be around to make up our top 6, I'm not sure where they lean with Pearson but he's expressed interest in staying. I'm also operating under the assumption that Podkolzin will get an opportunity to show he can stick with either Petey or Bo, they'll want him to excel. But I could see them starting him in a smaller role too, he hauls ass regardless. 

I'm definitely anticipating new coaching staff. I think Brown and Baumer will be gone, I'm not sure about Green but I figure he will be too. Walking away from a coach who's contract has expired doesn't quite have the same look or impact as straight up firing a guy so I think management will take that opportunity. This is his fourth season, coaches tend to have a shelf life and our start hasn't been all that encouraging. It's hard to say. 

Bottom line is it's far easier to bring in new coaches than it is to shuffle top 6 bodies, particularly the more proven ones. 

• Cheers 1