The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 11, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN360, SNW, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This troll is spinning in circles. It's very entertaining watching these guys chase their tails trying desperately trying to reinforce these broken record conspiracy theories with any verbal diarrhea they can possibly conjure up.

Trolls ... defending the club... ok.  Yep that's trolling for sure.    Darius is better at eloquently stating historical comparisons, and i for sure respect what he/she has to say ...  - other folks constantly ripping on our coach,  management, players win or lose?  sorry for standing up to some of the extra BS on this site. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Trebreh said:

Don't know if this has been discussed, but MacEwen's mom is complaining about his lack of ice time last night. I agree with her! McEwen was our only physical player last night, he went after hanifin, Giordano but gets &^@#ing benched. I &^@#ing hate Greens no hitting brand of hockey. 

Why do I have a major Hodgson vibe right now. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

Don't know if this has been discussed, but MacEwen's mom is complaining about his lack of ice time last night. I agree with her! McEwen was our only physical player last night, he went after hanifin, Giordano but gets &^@#ing benched. I &^@#ing hate Greens no hitting brand of hockey. 

There are other options for you to be happier. Sounds like you’re having an episode...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This troll is spinning in circles. It's very entertaining watching these guys chase their tails trying desperately trying to reinforce these broken record conspiracy theories with any verbal diarrhea they can possibly conjure up.

You inspire diarrhea.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And Nonis.   Luongo and Schneider say hi, as do Edler, Raymond and Hansen. 

Willie Mitchell, Burrows and also drafted Grabner and Bourdon which really skews his draft record.  (RIP to Luc)

Honestly, Nonis had a super underrated little stretch with us - funny how negative the perception was around him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Willie Mitchell, Burrows and also drafted Grabner and Bourdon which really skews his draft record.  (RIP to Luc)

Honestly, Nonis had a super underrated little stretch with us - funny how negative the perception was around him. 

This site is built on perceptions and Ideals/ opinions. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, thrago said:

We wont know for sure until it happens or we might never know.  But something is clearly wrong.  Petterson used to play like a more skilled Hoglander, not this year. Miller a more skilled Motte, again not this year.  Bo used to be very consistent but last night  30% on the faceoff dot, 1 shot and no hits.   Somethings up and the off season moves should have no effect on how those guys are playing.  I don't think any off the players dislike Green, I feel it's more of that they have lost confidence in him.  Something is clearly up but all any of use can do is guess what it is.

The team is slumping and management with Aquaman will need to figure out the causes. 

44 minutes ago, luckylager said:

You forgot the "r' in "your", and if you were trying for the "yo momma", you failed there too.

So, who's noticably better? And it might me Mom, because she's a Habs fan.

Is Boeser really any better in his own zone?

Is Jake a more consistent player?

Has Bo become more of a player than he was already curving towards under Willy D?

Do you think he's able to actually teach Quinn and Petey anything?

First off, I agree we need some changes.  I'd like it to be JB, but it will probably be Green first. That's the cheapest and easiest change.

But I have to just say that you cannot prove a negative. I think that's how it goes.  How do know, for certain, that Bo as an example, would not be playing worse under a different coach? Or Gaudette?  Or even Petey and Quinn? 

I think a good coach cannot teach basic talent, as you eluded to, but they can put them in a better position to be successful. If they are a good coach they can see who a player meshes with better on the ice. They can see common mistakes and get them to work on it. They can even occasionally inspire them with a speech into giving that 5% extra effort that results in a close win.

But there is something to be said for getting a veteran NHL coach who can exude a command and respect in the room just based on his longevity and past successes. Something Green cannot claim. Look how hard our early ninety teams played for Pat Quinn.  Same goes for an experienced GM.  I think one of the most gaping trends in this team in the last decades has been that they have no qualms about giving newbies their first shot in management and coaching.

Gillis last GM

Benning

Linden

Willy D

Green

Its been a long time now that they have needed some more experienced eyes to take a look at this team and where its headed and how to squeeze the best out of what they have. And to right the ship. And to stand up to ownership if they have to, and have the respect and experience to not shy away from that  and get away with that.

• Cheers 2

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

First off, I agree we need some changes.  I'd like it to be JB, but it will probably be Green first. That's the cheapest and easiest change.

But I have to just say that you cannot prove a negative. I think that's how it goes.  How do know, for certain, that Bo as an example, would not be playing worse under a different coach? Or Gaudette?  Or even Petey and Quinn? 

I think a good coach cannot teach basic talent, as you eluded to, but they can put them in a better position to be successful. If they are a good coach they can see who a player meshes with better on the ice. They can see common mistakes and get them to work on it. They can even occasionally inspire them with a speech into giving that 5% extra effort that results in a close win.

But there is something to be said for getting a veteran NHL coach who can exude a command and respect in the room just based on his longevity and past successes. Something Green cannot claim. Look how hard our early ninety teams played for Pat Quinn.  Same goes for an experienced GM.  I think one of the most gaping trends in this team in the last decades has been that they have no qualms about giving newbies their first shot in management and coaching.

Gillis last GM

Benning

Linden

Willy D

Green

Its been a long time now that they have needed some more experienced eyes to take a look at this team and where its headed and how to squeeze the best out of what they have. And to right the ship. And to stand up to ownership if they have to, and have the respect and experience to not shy away from that  and get away with that.

It's definitely impossible to measure real development vs that of an imaginary coach, I get that. 

But on a simple eye test, and stats measure, I refuse to believe our youngins entered the league at, or near their ceilings.

But you make some good points.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Two goals off the Canuck D, one a skate, the other a knee, and CDC is calling for the GM and HC's heads. Frustrating as hell, but its hockey. I want to see more OJ on the ice, less Benn, and I hope that Jake never plays another game in a Canuck uni. 7 years of development and he doesn't get it. Did he ever have it? Watching Hoglander take on guys twenty pounds heavier, 5 inches taller is very refreshing. If he can do it in this short sample piece, where in hell is Jake? He hasn't earned a spot on this roster. Another rant, I think the Roussel experiment has sailed. Too many stupid penalties, and he isn't effective in the offensive zone at all.

• Upvote 1