The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great talent, too soft?

Rate this topic

justathought

Can we all just agree that the experiment of small talented players, without some third line gritty size guys just doesn't work? We are way too soft. Knocked off the puck continuously and tossed to the ice. Granted I'm ranting a tad, but something's got to change. Virtanen isn't acting his size and, if a trades available for similar talent with a size upgrade and grit-jump on it. Gaudette same-same, I like his play but if we can get some grit and size with a comparable talent-do it. Yes I would love a talent/size/grit top or 2nd line but with what we can offer up...Maybe next year?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Bailey and Mac added some size. I liked having both in the lineup. Unfortunate bailey is hurt. Jake is soft skill he doesn't help.

Hope Bailey gets healthy soon. Loved his last two games. Move Sutter for a large bottom six C.

tenor.gif?itemid=15793514

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, justathought said:

Can we all just agree that the experiment of small talented players, without some third line gritty size guys just doesn't work? We are way too soft. Knocked off the puck continuously and tossed to the ice. Granted I'm ranting a tad, but something's got to change. Virtanen isn't acting his size and, if a trades available for similar talent with a size upgrade and grit-jump on it. Gaudette same-same, I like his play but if we can get some grit and size with a comparable talent-do it. Yes I would love a talent/size/grit top or 2nd line but with what we can offer up...Maybe next year?

what? that sounds like the majority of the last 40 years since I've been watching, that's why we have a great regular season and then get crushed in the first round... year in, year out.. with the odd exception, it's almost always been like this, this is why I was stoked when Tryamkin showed up.. and then willy d got into the act.. and f'd it up and the media got wind of it :( the rest is history but this is why we miss him.. 

• Like 1

Vancouver Charmins been soft for nearly 20 years, need some grit and size....players who will drop the gloves if need be and will hit and wake up the team when they are all sleeping on the bench. 

1 hard nosed D man and 1 physical F would be nice to add, can't we find someone like that thru drafting over the last 7 years...or is it Team Sedin Ultra Soft Charmin 10 ply forever and ever??

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Toronto is full of soft players too, but they have done ok in the past 3-4 regular seasons at least. Soft is probably not our most glaring problem.

Regular season means squat...Laffs are a prime example of being able to do Zip in the playoffs until this year in the Canadian division

• Cheers 1

Toughness only became a factor once the refs swallowed their whistles in 2011. 

We shouldn't shed what made this team a success in the Sedin era because of that. Ironically the league has changed to fit that mold better now.

Small skilled players should absolutely be taken if they have gsme breaking talent. Toughness can be something you bring in as a low cost support option. Like simmonds in toronto 

Edited by DSVII

15 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Not really. You old folks enjoyed the rough games of days gone, modern hickey just ain't tough anymore. 

This is the truth, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Sports change as time goes on to help keep the players or competitors safe. When the UFC entered conversation they were fishhooking, pulling hair and stomping on each other's dangly bits. That wasn't nearly as entertaining as seeing teo athletes enter the octogon and compete in in a fair fight, least in my opinion.

Hockey of old was fun as hell at the time, but it was also brutal and not sustainable. I personally would much rather see Petey being able to remove the opostions jockstrap through his pant leg with a beautiful deke, then having his own attacked with the butt end of a stick.

Athelets are bigger, faster, stronger, and have more skill then any time in history. I'm ok with giving those players an environment to succeed then worrying about being hacked at the calves for simply being better at hockey.

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1