The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its just funny that someone wants to go through the effort of a "war" but can't be bothered to show up to a local candidate selection meeting 

So much easier to sit back and piss and moan. Except when that is the sum total of of the effort you’re willing to put out then the politicians you are griping about have won. Sad to admit defeat so easily.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You wonder sometimes about who is running the hen house? A councilman in Kamloops hits his city paid expense account for hundreds of thousands of dollars over 5 years. No accountability as there were no checks and balances. Top management in the IHA and Fraser Health caught living high off their expense accounts and that goes away. When you read about the low stipends paid to elected people in local government it sounds good but I suggest you look at the expense accounts as well. 

This lack of accountability especially in the public service sector is one of the main causes of the erosion of trust in our system. 

49 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This lack of accountability especially in the public service sector is one of the main causes of the erosion of trust in our system. 

Yet the population continues to support it rather than demand wholesale fundamental change. The average person is so inundated with life and the pressures that come with it.

Many just grin and bear it, and then exact their revenge at the voting booth, not realizing that the differences between most political parties are superficial, and that most politicians are merely doing the least necessary to keep their meal ticket.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yet the population continues to support it rather than demand wholesale fundamental change. The average person is so inundated with life and the pressures that come with it.

Many just grin and bear it, and then exact their revenge at the voting booth, not realizing that the differences between most political parties are superficial, and that most politicians are merely doing the least necessary to keep their meal ticket.

This. 

Waiting for the political defenders to attack you saying "run for office" or "come up with a better system" or be told to shut up and don't voice your opinion. 

If there 7,000 politicians, 6,950 are disgusting. 

Edited by GetFocht
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

This. 

Waiting for the political defenders to attack you saying "run for office" or "come up with a better system" or be told to shut up and don't voice your opinion. 

7000 down to 6950. Nice to see you’ve moderated your opinion from all or every. No different from saying every Trump supporter is a racist. Neither is true.

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

7000 down to 6950. Nice to see you’ve moderated your opinion from all or every. No different from saying every Trump supporter is a racist. Neither is true.

My opinion hasn't changed. I just haven't met one of those 50. Maybe it's only 4. I haven't met one. 

Trump followers aren't all racist?

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree. That doesn’t mean I’m going to just sit back and complain online. It is time-consuming and soul-sucking trying to get justice but to just sit back and gripe is acceptance. Acceptance is defeat.

I’m going to search out like-minded people, look for candidates that share my views and demand accountability. Non-traditional politicians are not all like Trump. We are getting closer and closer to electing people like Sanders,Yang, etc. I would love to see some Republican candidates like this.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:49 PM, GetFocht said:

This. 

If politicians were serious about improving the human condition they would improve the skills they learn in school to help them earn a living. The biggest topic would be financial literacy. A solid understanding of budgeting and the long term cost of debt and the varying cost of different debt instruments should be mandatory. Even at the grade school level students should be given a fundamental understanding of how businesses work. When you see the many exploitive adverts in day to day life and you see friends and family on a debt treadmills it is depressing. 

I actually think that politicians, of all stripes, don't want a financially savvy population because they will be called to account to easily. Of course a financially savvy electorate would also quickly realize how underqualified the vast majority of politicians are for their positions.    

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If politicians were serious about improving the human condition the.y would improve the skills they learn in school to help them earn a living. The biggest topic would be financial literacy A solid understanding of budgeting and the long term cost of debt and the varying cost of different debt instruments should be mandatory. Even at the grade school level students should be given a fundamental understanding of how businesses work. When you see the many exploitive adverts in day to day life and you see friends and family on a debt treadmills it is depressing. 

I actually think that politicians, of all stripes, don't want a financially savvy population because they will be called to account to easily. Of course a financially savvy electorate would also quickly realize how underqualified the vast majority of politicians are for their positions.    

it used to be, but it got pushed out into electives because of the over emphasis on STEM.

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If politicians were serious about improving the human condition they would improve the skills they learn in school to help them earn a living. The biggest topic would be financial literacy. A solid understanding of budgeting and the long term cost of debt and the varying cost of different debt instruments should be mandatory. Even at the grade school level students should be given a fundamental understanding of how businesses work. When you see the many exploitive adverts in day to day life and you see friends and family on a debt treadmills it is depressing. 

The problem is that teachers may have their own political biases that may affect what they teach.  

I remember in elementary school learning about the Depression and stuff, my teacher emphasized how it was only due to government intervention that the world got out of it.  That economies need mass government spending to sustain it.  Not saying it's wrong, but anyone who has studied finance, economics, etc... will know that it's more complex than just running the printing press, that there are so many different theories and methods of how to jumpstart and economy, etc.  

Of course, not entirely blaming the teacher... as teacher are people too.  They aren't always the most economically/financially literate people either and most likely my teacher was just using whatever the textbook provided.  

The best finance related stuff I ever learned in grade school was actually a math class in high school.  The guy was actually a banker or financial planner for like 20-30 years previously and just switched to being a teacher as career change (less stressful for him).  Teaching all that time value of money, interest, and all the stuff that's relevant to being an adult.  Never learned anything useful in other business application courses or business education in high school.  Of course, I still failed that math course (I suck at math, which is ironic because I work in finance now).... sometimes students and adults just don't care about finance until it's a mountain to overcome.  I mean everyone knows how to be healthy, but there are tons of being just sit around all day eating chip and cookies.... then wonder why later in life they have type-2 diabetes or something.  You can only lead a horse to water, you can't force it to drink the water.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I remember in elementary school learning about the Depression and stuff, my teacher emphasized how it was only due to government intervention that the world got out of it.  That economies need mass government spending to sustain it.  Not saying it's wrong, but anyone who has studied finance, economics, etc... will know that it's more complex than just running the printing press, that there are so many different theories and methods of how to jumpstart and economy, etc.  

Was the teacher  saying what were "known facts" at the time, that over the years got changed to what we "Know" are facts today?

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

Was the teacher  saying what were "known facts" at the time, that over the years got changed to what we "Know" are facts today?

Well.... the economic theories are way older than me.  

There are uploaded videos talking about the Depression and stuff related to it back during the 50's and thereafter.... about what economic regulations were or weren't in place and what was done or shouldn't have been done.  

Just your own political opinion will make you believe in one more than another.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, 4petesake said:

No.

I think the phrase that sums it up best is: "Not all Trump supporters are racist....but all racists are Trump supporters".

Of course, there are always outliers, so the word "all" is hyperbolic, but the basic tenor of the phrase is pretty much spot on, IMHO....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

The problem is that teachers may have their own political biases that may affect what they teach.  

Of course, not entirely blaming the teacher... as teacher are people too.  They aren't always the most economically/financially literate people either and most likely my teacher was just using whatever the textbook provided.  

The best finance related stuff I ever learned in grade school was actually a math class in high school.  The guy was actually a banker or financial planner for like 20-30 years previously and just switched to being a teacher as career change (less stressful for him).  Teaching all that time value of money, interest, and all the stuff that's relevant to being an adult.  Never learned anything useful in other business application courses or business education in high school.  Of course, I still failed that math course (I suck at math, which is ironic because I work in finance now).... sometimes students and adults just don't care about finance until it's a mountain to overcome.  I mean everyone knows how to be healthy, but there are tons of being just sit around all day eating chip and cookies.... then wonder why later in life they have type-2 diabetes or something.  You can only lead a horse to water, you can't force it to drink the water.  

Well said. I work at a Community College and personal bias seeping into the curriculum is very common.

TBH, the most I ever learned was from a job as a computer / copier salesman. My boss was a former CFO at a sawmill and he was jerk, but even though I had worked at several small businesses before his, he was the one who showed me how it really works.

He was a pain to work for, but I came out of that gig with a lot of life lessons.

Edited by RUPERTKBD