The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's a risk, for sure, but I think OJ willbe a more versatile, more valuable dman in a cpl years and that makes HUghes somewhat expendable and a pretty serious chip to play.

Stawns... the trajectory you're on is gonna have us trading Horvat and Petey within the year. 

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Stawns... the trajectory you're on is gonna have us trading Horvat and Petey within the year. 

Not saying we should trade QH but a lot of the PP problems are actually tied to him, e.g. not getting the passes on the stick of the shooter, losing the puck when transporting, not having a good enough shot etc. OJ actually has a higher ceiling in all these aspects (although QH will of course always be the more dynamic skater and playmaker).

1 minute ago, stawns said:

that's not even remotely what it means and that pretty much sums up the problem with a good chunk of the fan base.

It’s exactly what it means, Boeser was wrote off last after we acquired Toffoli even though he was brought in help with the Boeser injury. 

This is the same idea but we are losing. It won’t be long. a couple more dashes for Hughes this year and we’ll have more ridiculous things.

Hopefully the media fires it up to and they try and push Hughes buttons like they did Boesers. Sad 

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not saying Jake's a bad player, but it's not all about points and also there's definitely a discussion to be had as to when he's gotten those goals/points, but let's just focus on the bottom line, regardless of linemates and points it's quite obvious that Hogs has played better overall compared to JV this season, or do you have another take? 

I'm saying he never gets the chance to prove otherwise. Can you remember anytime in his career, thus far, where Green has actually let Jake get a chance long enough to really establish himself in the top 6?  He gets a chance for a shift or three, maybe a period then the first whiff of a mistake he's either benched, demoted or scratched the next game.

If you look at the numbers last year, he was actually one of the most well rounded players on the team and pne of the best value added players on the roster.  Don't get me wrong, I love Hogs and I'm thrilled with his play, he's earned the right to stay in the top 6 since the start of the season........it's the fact that he was gifted that opportunity without everpaying a single due that irks me..........that's not on Hogs, that's on Green.

It's now at the point that they either give jake, a top 6 pick, away for basically nothing or you fire Green.  I don't think they can exist together anymore. I've been one of Green's biggest supporters, but imo it's time for him to go.  Let's get a coach in here who will Jake a real chance and see if they can salvage the very real potential that is still there

1 minute ago, J-P said:

Not saying we should trade QH but a lot of the PP problems are actually tied to him, e.g. not getting the passes on the stick of the shooter, losing the puck when transporting, not having a good enough shot etc. OJ actually has a higher ceiling in all these aspects (although QH will of course always be the more dynamic skater and playmaker).

It’s his second season though lol saying OJ has a higher ceiling in those aspects just isn’t true because we don’t know what Hughes ceiling is. Or OJ’s for that matter. It’s all just speculation and assumptions. Keep both.

• Cheers 1

Just now, J-P said:

The entire division has our power play figured out. That's not a QH problem. 

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

The entire division has our power play figured out. That's not a QH problem. 

True. All the elite PP:s rotate their players dynamically, for some reason we seldom do...

Still think OJ would setup one-timers for EP a lot more frequently.

7 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

It’s his second season though lol saying OJ has a higher ceiling in those aspects just isn’t true because we don’t know what Hughes ceiling is. Or OJ’s for that matter. It’s all just speculation and assumptions. Keep both.

True enough! But speculating my take is that OJ is superior regarding hockey IQ and passing and that QH is the faster and more dynamic skater with more creativity.

Just now, J-P said:

True enough! But speculating my take is that OJ is superior regarding hockey IQ and passing and that QH is the faster and more dynamic skater with more creativity.

Good thing we have both and don't need to lose either of them.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, J-P said:

True. All the elite PP:s rotate their players dynamically, for some reason we seldom do...

Still think OJ would setup one-timers for EP a lot more frequently.

I love OJ. I think he will be top pairing worthy.

I've been a big supporter of the coaching staff but I think we've got way too much talent to be this bad. 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Good thing we have both and don't need to lose either of them.

Absolutely, not setting them up against another apart from the PP comparison. Unclear if QH can be good enough defensively to be a 1-2D, I would guess OJ:s ceiling is 2-3, but regardless, we definitely have room for both.

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Seriously

Are people SERIOUSLY suggesting we trade Quinn Hughes?

WTF is wrong with some of you

Is Barry Pederson available?

if a player like Byfield is available and can be had for a Hughes, you don't think those tires need to be kicked?  Byfield changes this team more than Hughes does, imo.  

Just now, aGENT said:

Why do you hate good players? First Boeser, now this!? :lol:

I know you're poking the bear, but I always bite!  

Players are assets and you use assets to make your team better.  A Boeser move for a top 3 dman and Toffoli would have made this team better defensively without losing out on much offense and it's pretty clear where the issues are right now.

To me, Miller looks like he'slooking for a way out and nothing is more toxic to a team than a player, like Miller, who wants out..........we all remember Kesler.  He's a very very valuable piece who would bring back a pretty big score.

I love Hughes, but if a Byfield can be had for him, JB would be crazy to not at least consider the deal.  Byfield is a franchise centre like the Canucks have never had.

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah you guys do you. But it would be a gamble and you’d be trading potentially the best offensive defencemen in the league (already top5) Yeah I can handle some growing pains defensively 

For sure I’m in no way writing off Hughes.

Im just saying if we end up with a top 2 pick and they think Power has number 1 D written all over him, it completely changes the conversation.

Byfield represents a player that has huge potential and fits the mould of that big power forward center that you win in the playoffs with. Doesn’t matter how many points Hughes puts up if we don’t have centres that can dominate possession in physical playoff matchups.