The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You can draft a byfield easier than you can draft a hughes

Why not just draft a byfield this year 

Really?  When have they drafted a Byfield?  They've drafted two dmen in the top 7 in the last 5 years

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I have read and you're willing to dangle our only norris calibre defenseman for wishes and hopes and fairy dust.

What else am I missing?

You’re missing the point that individual points and trophies don’t win you cups. Building a team that can dominate possession against bigger teams does. Hughes still has to show he can do that.

Wishes and hopes and fairy dust? Give me a break. We’re talking about a highly touted number 2 pick from last year and a big stud number 1 d man.

Gambles, but hardly as much as you keep pretending/

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He's got 50% of his game to improve a lot before he's even in that conversation

He's already proved he's elite. With the right partner, he could be the next Brian Leetch. Thats not an absurd comparison.

Ollie Juolevi has got 90% of his game to improve before he's even in the conversation of a first pairing D man.

2 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

He's already proved he's elite. With the right partner, he could be the next Brian Leetch. Thats not an absurd comparison.

Ollie Juolevi has got 90% of his game to improve before he's even in the conversation of a first pairing D man.

He's elite offensively, he's below average defensively.  Offense only dmen don't win you a Cup.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You can draft a byfield easier than you can draft a hughes

Why not just draft a byfield this year 

Not true at all.

Big powerforward centers are the hardest players to acquire.

There are only a few true powerforward centers in the league. There are many offensive defenseman however.

There is no player like Byfield at the top of this years draft. A player with his skill sets does not come around that often. I think LA would be nuts to trade him to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

So it’s not a big IF to say that Hughes is going to be the next Leetch, but it’s a big IF to say that Byfield will be a number 1 center?

6 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I'd say currently QH is headed for Karlsson, as @DeNiro pointed out.  I think that's a very accurate projection.  The trouble is, I don't see any Cups on Karlssons shelf and that's the only trophy I care about

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's elite offensively, he's below average defensively.  Offense only dmen don't win you a Cup.

Not having an elite PMD on your team means you wont win a cup either. Your plugging one hole, and springing another.

Even Benning said that elite PMD's are the hardest to get in a trade, you have to draft them.

The whole 'size' wins you the cup isnt true. Look at Tampa, the smallest lightest team in the league. The Brian Burke size and truculence era is over.

Byfield is currently playing in the AHL, 1 goal and 3 assists in 8 games. He's not dominating over kids anymore.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not true at all.

Big powerforward centers are the hardest players to acquire.

There are only a few true powerforward centers in the league. There are many offensive defenseman however.

There is no player like Byfield at the top of this years draft. A player with his skill sets does not come around that often. I think LA would be nuts to trade him to be honest.

your big power forward is playing for the ontario reign 8 games 4 points -8

Everything you're saying is predicated on hopes and prayers....wishes and fishes.

LA would be silly to lose him?  Thank god, let's not entertain this then

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say currently QH is headed for Karlsson, as @DeNiro pointed out.  I think that's a very accurate projection.  The trouble is, I don't see any Cups on Karlssons shelf and that's the only trophy I care about

I dont see any on the shelf of McDavid or Matthews or Draisatl either and we'd all give the farm for any of them

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, billabong said:

What in the blue hell are you morons talking about?! 

You are entertaining the idea of trading hughes?!

Man, Canucks fans...sometimes...:picard:

Right?

Wait though, not just trading Hughes.  Trading him for MAYBE a potential player and MAYBE a potentially high pick this year too

• Cheers 1

Hughes is one of the best offensive D in the league as a 2nd year 21 year old player. 

You don’t trade that for a top pick/prospect. Unless we are getting a similar level Dman back why would you entertain the thought. Even then it is a lateral move and Hughes still has room to grow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

:lol:

Every defenseman isn’t playing up to their potential under Baumgartner’s pathetic systems.

Hughes is the type of defenseman that all other teams in the league would covet. Under a functioning defense coach he and the other defensemen would flourish. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, billabong said:

What in the blue hell are you morons talking about?! 

You are entertaining the idea of trading hughes?!

Man, Canucks fans...sometimes...:picard:

Says the fan base that goes back and forth on trading Boeser when he’s playing good or bad.

Every player on a lotto team should be tradable. Calling us morons for looking at every avenue for improving the team is moronic. The way you stay mediocre is by only making small moves.

Im not even promoting a deal like that but if it came along you definitely consider it. And I would easily see the logic behind it.

That’s the problem with Canucks fans. They don’t wanna trade any good players to improve the team and think we can do it but trading away scraps.

Every cup team has traded a top player on their way to building a champion.