The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t understand that.

I actually think very highly of both Hughes and Byfield. Which is why I think the value is close.

I think Byfield is gonna be a stud in this league. Powerforward centers have more value than any player. You gotta gamble by paying big to get one though.

More like you hope and you don't "gamble" trading your #1D and a top 10 defensemen in the league for a top prospect. In the 50 years the Canucks have been around we have had dreams of a D man like Hughes and now you want to trade him.You don't trade a franchise defensemen for an unknown DeNiro. That gets you fired and never hired again. I swear some fans are off their rocker. Our views used to align but recently I'm wondering if someone is logging into your computer and coming on here.

However, if Byfield was in his third season putting up promising numbers like 25G 60PT we could certainly have that conversation about wanting a dominant #1 centre. However, currently he has 0 NHL games, and just because he's 6'4 doesn't mean he's hard to play against and tough. 

On 2/27/2021 at 1:37 PM, oldnews said:

need to bump one of those for Kucherov

Correct, my bad, the forgotten LTIR of Kucherov...

So TBL protects: Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, Foote, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Vasilevskiy.

They then hope that Seattle chooses one of Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Gourde, McDonagh. They likely even sweeten the pot significantly to ensure that SEA chooses one of these big contracts, as it will be necessary for TBL, and even if say Palat is selected TBL are still in cap trouble.

However, my original point is that TBL will not leave Cernak, Cirelli, Foote unprotected. Nor will they trade them.

If Gretzky can get traded. ....

Nah that was more than 3 decades ago...

Quinn is not type of player a team trades... surround him with talent let him go to work.. he's only 21..

Hughes EP Horvat.. 3 untouchables on our team.. 

Edit typos

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

If Gretzky can get traded. ....

Nah that was more than 3 decades ago...

Quinn is not type of player a team trades... surround him with talent let him go to work.. he's only 21..

Hughes EP Horvat.. 3 untouchables on our team.. 

Edit typos

Boeser is getting in to that category of untouchables, but yeah those 3 are the surefire untouchables on the team. Hopefully In the next year or two Hogz, Podz & our top pick this year can be in that category as well.

Edited by KKnight

CDC complains Canucks schedule is too rigorous...Fast forward to the team having a few days off and pages on here suggest we trade QH, why so we can wait another 50 years for an elite PMD!?

Of course QH sucks in his own end and gets pushed off the puck like he is a little boy...that was always to be expected from a player of his size, he still needs to get stronger and yes he will makes lots of mistakes but his offensive creativity is off the charts.

Canuck GM needs to go find him a steady RHD after letting Tanev go I suggest someone with some size who plays with an edge.

As for trading for a under 25 F...makes 0 sense to me, call up some prospects from Utica let them quarantine on taxi squad or better yet why don't we use the players on the taxi squad!?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Every player on this team is tradeable.  Did i just see someone say Brock and Hughes were untouchable?  Some fans need a reality check.

Really?

Common man...  Quinn Hughes is in his second year.  He looks to be a ppg dman...  something this franchise has never had....  Ya I think it’s safe to say that he’s not available outside someone selling the farm. 

14 hours ago, Outsiders said:

More like you hope and you don't "gamble" trading your #1D and a top 10 defensemen in the league for a top prospect. In the 50 years the Canucks have been around we have had dreams of a D man like Hughes and now you want to trade him.You don't trade a franchise defensemen for an unknown DeNiro. That gets you fired and never hired again. I swear some fans are off their rocker. Our views used to align but recently I'm wondering if someone is logging into your computer and coming on here.

However, if Byfield was in his third season putting up promising numbers like 25G 60PT we could certainly have that conversation about wanting a dominant #1 centre. However, currently he has 0 NHL games, and just because he's 6'4 doesn't mean he's hard to play against and tough. 

I love Hughes, but he's not a #1 dman.  You can't be one dimensional and be the guy the team leans on.

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

As far as trades.. this year is a wash.. let it play out make decisions in offseason. . Imho

I don't think anyone thinks there'll be one now.  The only trade I could see is for Miller who wants out, imo.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think anyone thinks there'll be one now.  The only trade I could see is for Miller who wants out, imo.

I can see Miller /Schmidt / Meyers would fetch a 1st + prospect / young player. Unfortunately cap constraints make deals harder to make.

Just now, stawns said:

What?  And who would play defense?

Our current AHL defense.  Lol. 

Certainly wouldn't trade all of them.  Probably only 1 of the 3.  That is if JB wants a 1st for this year (or next year) draft.

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love Hughes, but he's not a #1 dman.  You can't be one dimensional and be the guy the team leans on.

Let's pump the brakes on the assertion he is not a number one d-man. It takes time for D to develop a well rounded game. Look at Ekblad in Florida for example. His offense is finally starting to catch up with his shut down ability. With Hughes, it will take time for him to get stronger and learn what is needed to win board battles with his size disadvantage but like Rafalski he will use his wits and quickness to beat players as he is already doing. Quinn is certainly a number one d-man, but like all players, has areas of his game he needs to improve upon. Hedman wasn't the dominant force he was till about 5-6 years into his career. Quinn's skill set has transformed how we can play on the PP and transition out of our own zone. He is sooo good for being sooo young and dymanic, but not a number one d-man...cmon man. Kid is only going to get better! If we were currently in 2nd or 3rd in the div, this fanbase wouldn\t be pissing and moaning about QH's game. We are a fickle bunch eh.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Let's pump the brakes on the assertion he is not a number one d-man. It takes time for D to develop a well rounded game. Look at Ekblad in Florida for example. His offense is finally starting to catch up with his shut down ability. With Hughes, it will take time for him to get stronger and learn what is needed to win board battles with his size disadvantage but like Rafalski he will use his wits and quickness to beat players as he is already doing. Quinn is certainly a number one d-man, but like all players, has areas of his game he needs to improve upon. Hedman wasn't the dominant force he was till about 5-6 years into his career. Quinn's skill set has transformed how we can play on the PP and transition out of our own zone. He is sooo good for being sooo young and dymanic, but not a number one d-man...cmon man. Kid is only going to get better! If we were currently in 2nd or 3rd in the div, this fanbase wouldn\t be pissing and moaning about QH's game. We are a fickle bunch eh.

Rafalski is a pretty good comparable.  Would you lean on Rafalski as your #1 damn in the playoffs?

Just now, Jayinblack said:

I thought QH looked fantastic for his age/size/experience in his first POs

he did, but he had players that sheltered him defensively.  Again, I love Hughes' game, I just don't think he's a #1 dman you build around and lean on.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

he did, but he had players that sheltered him defensively.  Again, I love Hughes' game, I just don't think he's a #1 dman you build around and lean on.

I think you underestimate the Hughes mentality.  Those boys eat, sleep and breathe hockey.  This is not Jake Virtanen we’re talking about.  Quinn is an analyst of his game.  We are nowhere near his ceiling either offensively or defensively.  I would argue that Quinn is the most untouchable player on this team over Petey.  Dynamic Defenceman don’t grow on trees.  He is the perfect d man to grow our team around.  

i prey we get Luke Hughes this summer!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I think you underestimate the Hughes mentality.  Those boys eat, sleep and breathe hockey.  This is not Jake Virtanen we’re talking about.  Quinn is an analyst of his game.  We are nowhere near his ceiling either offensively or defensively.  I would argue that Quinn is the most untouchable player on this team over Petey.  Dynamic Defenceman don’t grow on trees.  He is the perfect d man to grow our team around.  

i prey we get Luke Hughes this summer!

I doubt Hughes is ever going to be much more than average defensively.  A player can absolutely grow defensively, but if he doesn't grow physically he's not going to be very effective on the defensive side of the puck.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I doubt Hughes is ever going to be much more than average defensively.  A player can absolutely grow defensively, but if he doesn't grow physically he's not going to be very effective on the defensive side of the puck.  

Yzerman was able to become a shut down forward in his late 20’s in a much bigger harder to play in league for a guy of his size. To write Hughes off this early on the defensive side is laughable honestly. 

• Cheers 1