The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Says the fan base that goes back and forth on trading Boeser when he’s playing good or bad.

Every player on a lotto team should be tradable. Calling us morons for looking at every avenue for improving the team is moronic. The way you stay mediocre is by only making small moves.

Im not even promoting a deal like that but if it came along you definitely consider it. And I would easily see the logic behind it.

That’s the problem with Canucks fans. They don’t wanna trade any good players to improve the team and think we can do it but trading away scraps.

Every cup team has traded a top player on their way to building a champion.

What top player did Tampa trade away?

St Louis?

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

This is some of the lamest stuff.

Trading a .85 ppg defencemen who’s 21 on a guy that hasn’t proven a thing. And because with a crystal ball you don’t see him being a winner. Great show. Disappointing

If points are the only metric that matter the Oilers would have several cups by now.

Stop focusing on points and more on building a playoff team.

Hughes can definitely be part of that equation. But if a GM isn’t considering all parts of an equation they aren’t doing their job.

When Byfield becomes a number 1 center you won’t be acquiring him. It would be like trading Kopitar in his prime for Karlsson. No GM would do it.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Drouin

Drouin was never very good. I’d be trading him too, one dimensional player that gets points a second liner should get. Stupid trade by Montreal 

Just now, DeNiro said:

If points are the only metric that matter the Oilers would have several cups by now.

Stop focusing on points and more on building a playoff team.

Hughes can definitely be part of that equation. But if a GM isn’t considering all parts of an equation they aren’t doing their job.

When Byfield becomes a number 1 center you won’t be acquiring him. It would be like trading Kopitar in his prime for Karlsson. No GM would do it.

I’m not focusing on points. I’m focusing on building a team. And continuing with these kids that are extremely good hockey players instead of taking yet another step back .

you mentioned Drouin as an example. That’s so far off from a Quinn Hughes. Tampa has been so stacked he was essentially an extra forward on that team. 

Trading for Byfield on a whim is absolutely insane. And the GM should be fired immediately. 

Also stop pretending that Quinn Hughes isn’t going to improve defensively. He’s just a Karlsson etc. You realize Karlsson essentially carried the Ottawa Senators in 2017 to a game within the Stanley cup finals. He had 18 points and was a plus 13. 

We have junk defensive system that ALL our players have suffered from. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Drouin was never very good. I’d be trading him too, one dimensional player that gets points a second liner should get. Stupid trade by Montreal 

I’m not focusing on points. I’m focusing on building a team. And continuing with these kids that are extremely good hockey players instead of taking yet another step back .

you mentioned Drouin as an example. That’s so far off from a Quinn Hughes. Tampa has been so stacked he was essentially an extra forward on that team. 

Trading for Byfield on a whim is absolutely insane. And the GM should be fired immediately. 

You’re speaking with hindsight.

Drouin was 21, was a recent 3rd overall pick and had just put up 53 points in 73 games. They had plans for him to be part of their core.

After this season Hughes could labelled one dimensional with his poor D zone play. So labels don’t mean much there without knowing what the player will become.

It wouldn’t be on a whim it would be to fill a foundational need which is a big number 1 center. Size does still matter in that regard.

Funny thing is if it was Lafreniere no one would criticize that yet not much even separates the two IMO.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You’re speaking with hindsight.

Drouin was 21, was a recent 3rd overall pick and had just put up 53 points in 73 games. They had plans for him to be part of their core.

After this season Hughes could labelled one dimensional with his poor D zone play. So labels don’t mean much there without knowing what the player will become.

It wouldn’t be on a whim it would be to fill a foundational need which is a big number 1 center. Size does still matter in that regard.

Funny thing is if it was Lafreniere no one would criticize that yet not much even separates the two IMO.

I would still be criticizing lol. I think all this losing has us going a little loopy. 

Imagine being on the wrong side of that hindsight with a trade like this. 

I respect most things you say DeNiro. You’re level headed and those are the people I like in these forums but this ain’t it. Not this one 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Drouin

He had character issues and wasn't even really good though. There was lots of talk about how he felt he deserved to be on the team. In this case we're not the team trading Drouin, we'd be the team trading Sergachev for Drouin. Hughes is a stud, good character, good work ethic. And he fills a niche we been trying to fill seemingly the entire time our franchise has existed.

Hughes has shown me nothing to say he's poor defensively. He battles hard and is great at using his body to cause trouble for the opposing player. Yes he's a minus player but that is not indicutive of his defensive play. Is he a shut down d-man? No. But he's a solid defensive prescence that can create offense damn near by himself. Trading him would be 10x worse than when we traded Neely.

Edited by N7Nucks

11 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I would still be criticizing lol. I think all this losing has us going a little loopy. 

Imagine being on the wrong side of that hindsight with a trade like this. 

I respect most things you say DeNiro. You’re level headed and those are the people I like in these forums but this ain’t it. Not this one 

Don’t worry it won’t even happen.

It’s entertaining to envision and debate different scenarios on here though. So thank you for that.

Only thing that keeps me sane during long losing seasons.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Drouin is a top player in the league? 

Was a top young player that looked destined to be a first liner.  

Regardless he only fetched a 9th.

Hughes is way better than Drouin, and Byfield will be a better return than Sergachev though.

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t worry it won’t even happen.

It’s entertaining to envision and debate different scenarios on here though. So thank you for that.

Only thing that keeps me sane during long losing seasons.

The "trading a player means you think he sucks" state of mind here makes it tough to have a reasonable debate on building this team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Says the fan base that goes back and forth on trading Boeser when he’s playing good or bad.

Every player on a lotto team should be tradable. Calling us morons for looking at every avenue for improving the team is moronic. The way you stay mediocre is by only making small moves.

Im not even promoting a deal like that but if it came along you definitely consider it. And I would easily see the logic behind it.

That’s the problem with Canucks fans. They don’t wanna trade any good players to improve the team and think we can do it but trading away scraps.

Every cup team has traded a top player on their way to building a champion.

Sure they have, but only if they have a real deficiency at a certain position

I wouldnt call a 1-2 punch of Pettersson and Horvat a deficiency.

You trade QH, a 21 year old, elite PMD, who's best years are in front of him. Where are you going to find another one?

18 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Sure they have, but only if they have a real deficiency at a certain position

I wouldnt call a 1-2 punch of Pettersson and Horvat a deficiency.

You trade QH, a 21 year old, elite PMD, who's best years are in front of him. Where are you going to find another one?

1st overall

I feel like I have to keep repeating myself. It would only happen if we win the draft lottery. At this point it looks like we’ll definitely be in the mix.

Of course it would be good to have Hughes and someone like Power. But I also think we need one more stud top 6 player on top of Podkolzin. If it happened to be a 6’4” 230 lb center that would be amazing. Would allow Petey to do his thing on wing.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

The "trading a player means you think he sucks" state of mind here makes it tough to have a reasonable debate on building this team.

Don’t understand that.

I actually think very highly of both Hughes and Byfield. Which is why I think the value is close.

I think Byfield is gonna be a stud in this league. Powerforward centers have more value than any player. You gotta gamble by paying big to get one though.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t understand that.

I actually think very highly of both Hughes and Byfield. Which is why I think the value is close.

I think Byfield is gonna be a stud in this league. Powerforward centers have more value than any player. You gotta gamble by paying big to get one though.

Hughes gets the edge because he's a known quantity.  He was a Calder finalist and tops in points for Dmen this year.  Byfield hasn't played in the NHL yet.  

So if anything it would be Hughes for Byfield ++

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You still don’t even understand what we’re talking about then.

Just stop.

I do quite understand.

If you mythical magical scenario pans out you're trading Hughes for Byfield because he's the next big thing but we also magically end up with a potential 1st overall or so and draft the consensus #1 d man in this years draft and HOPE he becomes the offensive player hughes is but also has some sort of defensive accumen thus ensuring we having another 2+ years of waiting for....everything to magically work out?

I more than understand which is why this is so laughable.  Trading a near PPG defenseman claiming he has major defensive issues for a "sure thing" in Byfield who has never ever played an NHL game and is a -8 on an AHL team is just ridiculous.

Look I get it.  I really do because i've suggested things just like this in the past but in this instance I'm not even remotely entertaining the idea of trading Hughes

There are no guarantees and there are no absolutes but I absolutely guarantee if you asked LA if they'd do a 1-1 of Hughes for Byfield they'd take it and giggle

Edited by Warhippy