The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

We have had teams from the onset right through and until the 2011 team that were grindier then the 2011 team so i don't know where your going with this.   People romanticize the 2011 team which is great - they should - but let's keep it real - they were the most skilled team we've had yet - but sorry Lappy, Torres, Richardson and yes even Maholtra who didn't play anyways - have had plenty of counterparts over the years that were a lot "grindier" then that one.   Burrows or Gelinas?  Momesso or Lappy (lol), Murzyn/Glynn - Rome?  In case you weren't there - after the lockout things quickly became far less "grindy".    Is Ryan Walter - cup winner and former C for the Habs as your 4th line C, playing in a much tougher and rougher era, less grindy then whomever?  

And don't get me talking about the late 90's-early 2000's teams.    The 2011/peak Sedin team was a skill team with balance throughout the lineup - not a "grindy" team.    Spend some time looking at Lindros and Mario highlights.   Grindy back then was an entirely different level then it was for any team - including Boston or anyone else peak Sedin era.   Chara wasn't even a good enforcer when he joined the league.   We don't even have power forwards anymore / they don't exist, and barely did in 2011.     The PHI teams of the 90's would have murdered us without dropping the gloves once - same with any Canuck team from 1977-2005

There hasn't been a single team that dominated nearly as much as that 2011 team and they dominated because their forecheck was absolutely relentless. You couldn't put that team away. Always chipping away. They got called the cardiac kids because you'd just watch over the period of 60 minutes that team slowly wither away because we'd wear them down with possession and when we didn't have it we'd get it back every time. We absolutely controlled teams and the odd rare night where we didn't everybody commented on playing down to the other teams' level. 

I think again, we are just talking about different vocabulary on what we call grinding. Yours is a more physical presence, mine is more of a metephorical one.