The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

Last year they gave up assets to acquire Toffoli. Then they realized that they couldn't resign him.  No cap space. 

What kind of plan was that?   Are we deep enough to be giving up assets for ten games?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Drafting completely overrated. Make a list of all the 1st round picks that were drafted directly after our pick and you'll see that the group we have isn't much better. The draft "success" has largely been due to simply drafting high almost every year. Look at a graph that shows draft pick position/number vs probability of success in the NHL, it's pretty self-explanatory. Suffice to say, pretty much every category outside of drafting has been bad.

The story of Benning will always be that he got in his own way:

- Draft gems in the 2nd round? Well, I guess we can throw some 2nd rounders away, too many good young players would be a bad thing.

- 1st round picks graduating quicker than expected? Bungle the cap with replaceable level players so that you have no money to capitalize on ELC contracts.

- Sign a college free agent that bleeds Canuck and is a locker room favorite? Let him go for nothing and replace him with a 6M cap-hit player that is essentially playing the same (bottom-pairing) role.

- Inherit a good AGM in Gilman? Nah, bring in John "Jankowski" Weisbrod, a proven winner.

- Great players available to snatch up @ expansion draft? Why when we can just protect Gudbranson and Granlund instead?

It goes on and on. So much potential wasted.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the part I find funny is constantly criticizing Jim for not doing a tear down. That was never an option, so years of complaining about it was literally useless. And thats what HF Boards is for anyway. 

Yeah, it's been 7 years of something that was never going to happen and the whinging about it is STILL never ending. Eventually you'd think people would accept the reality of it and move on to other legit things to criticize... But here we are...

39 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This team is desperate for a President of Hockey Ops. We need someone that lays out a clear plan for the future and spells it out to the fans. Explain to us where the team stands with players, coaches and GM so we can cut down on the endless speculation and second-guessing.

Being a fan in no way entitles you to anything resembling a detailed plan of the inner workings, of the management of the team.

I do agree though that their messaging could be a LOT better. That's an issue that pre dates Benning (or current ownership) though. Their public messaging can be QUITE lacking and if anything, Benning being the straight shooter he is, probably says too much (that then gets misconstrued, speculated and second guessed as you noted).

As I outlined earlier in the thread, the overall plan of building the team has been pretty straight forward from day one, from anyone that wasn't hell bent on a tear down and can't seem to see past that.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

Last year they gave up assets to acquire Toffoli. Then they realized that they couldn't resign him.  No cap space. 

What kind of plan was that?   Are we deep enough to be giving up assets for ten games?

:lol:

Brutal... The sky is falling isn't it? Look outside! It's coming down! 

Jim replaced him with Hoglander... I'm not mad. 

Anyways I'm done replying to nonsense by people that think it's their Xbox and they can do make better moves and negotiate better with robot agents! 

Go negotiate with AI player agents in your Xbox, you'll be happier. Make sure u trade for every last place teams 1st rounder too, just give them trash and acquire 10 1sts 

7 minutes ago, apollo said:

Anyways I'm done replying to nonsense by people that think it's their Xbox and they can do make better moves and negotiate better with robot agents! 

Go negotiate with AI player agents in your Xbox, you'll be happier. Make sure u trade for every last place teams 1st rounder too, just give them trash and acquire 10 1sts 

Nobody thinks "the sky is falling". The poster thinks that that specific move lacked planning, and that lack of planning might occur later. You literally haven't done a thing to refute their point.

Hoglander is obviously promising but we'd be better (maybe even in the playoffs) if we had both players. Benning didn't even intend to replace him with Hoglander, the "we ran out of time" comment basically admits he failed to sign Toffoli and didn't plan the situation properly.

You're coming across as extremely condescending when you use this "Xbox" analogy all the time to combat anyone's issue with this management team. It's extremely reasonable to expect a GM to not "run out of time" when attempting to sign a player and I've never heard a similar comment from any other GM before.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 2

Just now, apollo said:

Very immature response. Attacking people for having an opinion with insults about playing video games because you can’t hold your own in a conversation. You leave right after throwing jabs like that. I am expecting the same response after this reply. Lol. People who post on here are allowed to have their opinions without people throwing insults about video games and so on. You don’t have to agree. You mentioned about Hoglander but fail to realize he gave a 2nd pick and Madden for ten games. That is not good asset management. It’s just not. Those could have been assets for the future or to acquire a player with more term at least. He gets desperate and makes trades that hurt the future of the organization.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Very immature response. Attacking people for having an opinion with insults about playing video games because you can’t hold your own in a conversation. You leave right after throwing jabs like that. I am expecting the same response after this reply. Lol. People who post on here are allowed to have their opinions without people throwing insults about video games and so on. You don’t have to agree. You mentioned about Hoglander but fail to realize he gave a 2nd pick and Madden for ten games. That is not good asset management. It’s just not. Those could have been assets for the future or to acquire a player with more term at least. He gets desperate and makes trades that hurt the future of the organization.

He traded Madden and a second and got our young core 2 rounds of playoff experience.  That's worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You act like JB should have predicted a flat cap due to covid. You think TT wasn't worth a 2nd, he absolutely was and probably LA wanted a 1st. And the plan was no doubt to re-sign him for the long term. And Madden? the odds of him panning out as an NHL regular are almost nil (Buy Low - Sell High). So you can think of the cost of Schmidt (a first pairing D man on a great Vegas team) as a 2nd a 3rd and Madden (b level prospect at best). Who the hell wouldn't pay that price? Very fair deal IMO

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Nobody thinks "the sky is falling". The poster thinks that that specific move lacked planning, and that lack of planning might occur later. 

Hoglander is obviously promising but we'd be better (maybe even in the playoffs) if we had both players. Benning didn't even intend to replace him with Hoglander, the "we ran out of time" comment basically admits he failed to sign Toffoli and didn't plan the situation properly.

You're coming across as extremely condescending when you use this "Xbox" analogy all the time to combat anyone's issue with this management team. It's extremely reasonable to expect a GM to not "run out of time" when attempting to sign a player and I've never heard a similar comment from any other GM before.

I love my Xbox. My grand children play games on it and I use it to stream sports.   LOL

This topic of management that has been covered a lot. We all know that. I just thought it would be interesting to look at it from the lack of planning aspect. We can look back 7 years and get a clear picture of how Jim manages. I see a fly by the seat of your pants management style. This leaves a lot of missed opportunities.

2 hours ago, Screw said:

The plan the way I see it:

1. add blue chip prospects via draft

2. Insulate and mentor prospects as they mature their game with veteran UFA

3. Profit.

Yup, pretty much exactly how I see it, thought it was pretty fricken clear :)

We should get a high, shinny new draft pick this summer...or next, depending on when the draft actually happens.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, pretty much exactly how I see it, thought it was pretty fricken clear :)

We should get a high, shinny new draft pick this summer...or next, depending on when the draft actually happens.

Nice, the draft is our Stanley Cup.

Nobody informed me that we were the Oilers.

• Haha 1