The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I understand that, that’s what’s happening in Brazil, but as long as we can stay ahead of it there is no increased risk, only if we can’t.

We ain't off to a good start.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 2

There's contradicting evidence, but these vaccine's don't necessarily stop transmission. It's possible that you could still catch it after being vaccinated, pass it on and have mild or no symptoms. Nobody can really say one way or the other, we ARE the live research. On that thought, isn't this the second time Hawryluk had covid (variant the second time)?

Over 50% of Israel has been vaccinated now. I was hoping to see the death rates drop in comparison to infection rates, but the data doesn't look like that. Unexpectedly, the transmission seems to be dropping, so who knows? I don't even know what vaccine they are using over there?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

We ain't off to a good start.

It's like 80% of the population has just decided that they're going to be that one kid in class who won't follow the rules and ruins free time for the entire class.

These people either don't get or don't care that it is them who is causing businesses to suffer, not the government, not the doctors.......though they do share some of the blame

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

It's like 80% of the population has just decided that they're going to be that one kid in class who won't follow the rules and ruins free time for the entire class.

These people either don't get or don't care that it is them who is causing businesses to suffer, not the government, not the doctors.......though they do share some of the blame

Is that 80% the same ones that ate paste? 

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No, they're the ones who smear it all over their desk, their neighbors desk and the white board which means no more paste for the entire class

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Probably not everyone every year.  The vaccines all are protective vs severe disease. The variants mostly evade antibody neutralization. But they can't evade T cell immunity, which is needed to clear the infection. That is why almost all vaccines are 100% vs hospitalization and death. 

Even with the variants, get your vaccine when it's your turn. Even if infected, it may save you from being hospitalized or die. 

Here's a graphic using test tube experiments from antibodies from people with one or two dose of the mRNA vaccines.  The orange one is  P1. Red is the South African variant. Despite all this, the vaccines still prevent severe disease. That is good news. 

20210315_121425.jpg

So what is the dumbed down explanation of the difference in the mRNA and the viral vector?  Which would be the Astrazeneca.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's a vicious cycle....the very people screaming about lockdowns/businesses closing, etc. are the ones causing them for the most part.  If everyone was on board, we'd be much more efficient in curbing these spikes.  People wanting to ignore the guidelines just push things further down the road.

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I used to have a policy when I was coaching midget.  In practice there's no screwing around and no shooting pucks after whistles.  The same kid would shoot pucks just to be a dick so I made the rest of the team bag skate while he watched.  Then I stayed away from the dressing room after practice.

Not a nice thing to do and I'd probably be removed in this day and age, but it never happened again

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I used to have a policy when I was coaching midget.  In practice there's no screwing around and no shooting pucks after whistles.  The same kid would shoot pucks just to be a dick so I made the rest of the team bag skate while he watched.  Then I stayed away from the dressing room after practice.

Not a nice thing to do and I'd probably be removed in this day and age, but it never happened again

Full Metal Hockey. 

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's a vicious cycle....the very people screaming about lockdowns/businesses closing, etc. are the ones causing them for the most part.  If everyone was on board, we'd be much more efficient in curbing these spikes.  People wanting to ignore the guidelines just push things further down the road.

I blame the government, when they put all these limits on people and then go on vacations and keep flying people in that are infected they lose credibility and people stop caring. On average 3-4 international flights a day arrive in Vancouver with someone on board infected, they have been since the beginning. 

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/public-exposures-flights-tables-Current.pdf#page7

Edited by Dumb Nuck

Why couldn't the us govt And canadian govt give a vaccine to all the players in each league? The US just administered 4 million doses today averaging 3 million per day the last week. Yes they are cutting the line but who cares alot of people are stuck at home following the guidelines and would be nice to have a distraction that sporting events can bring. A small sense of normalcy. Damn I'm good I should run for prime Minister.

2 minutes ago, Patrik Laine said:

Why couldn't the us govt And canadian govt give a vaccine to all the players in each league? The US just administered 4 million doses today averaging 3 million per day the last week. Yes they are cutting the line but who cares alot of people are stuck at home following the guidelines and would be nice to have a distraction that sporting events can bring. A small sense of normalcy. Damn I'm good I should run for prime Minister.

I believe the Canadian teams all stated they would no jump the cue, there has been fallout after some US teams were vaccinated.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So what is the dumbed down explanation of the difference in the mRNA and the viral vector?  Which would be the Astrazeneca.

If your are asking about the differences in efficacyThe trials are not head to head trials, so efficacy % are not directly comparable.  The AZ trials were done in multiple countries later than mRNA trials, when the variants were emerging.  Different vaccine designs may induce responses better than others. Other factors may include dosage, interval between first and second (UK AZ trial showed 81% if given >12 weeks apart, but only 55% 4 wks apart), use of other ingredients to stimulate immune response (adjuvant). 

This video provides good explanation:

If you are asking the vaccine design differences: the delivery platform is different. One uses lipid particles with mRNA to deliver instructions on how to make the viral protein, which will train the immune system to recognize it, so that if you are infected by the real virus your body is already prepared.  AZ like Janssen, Sputnik, CanSino, are adenovirus vector based.  Adenovirus vector is a common cold virus that is made replication defective, and delivers instructions on how to make the spike protein to the cell. It has DNA for the spike protein, but it is temporary and the DNA cannot be integrated to your cell. Both vaccines don't stay in your body for a long time. They are degraded. Doesn't give your 5G, cause cancer or infertility. 

Here is a good video on explaining the different platforms :

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 3