The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's a vicious cycle....the very people screaming about lockdowns/businesses closing, etc. are the ones causing them for the most part.  If everyone was on board, we'd be much more efficient in curbing these spikes.  People wanting to ignore the guidelines just push things further down the road.

I guy worked with. He owned a small business in Richmond in the 90's. Moved the interior. Became a real estate agent. Now is a contractor. He's spouting stupid stuff like the sooner everyone stops wearing masks, and gets back to normal the sooner this will be over. I stopped speaking to him. I knew he was right wing. I didn't think he was stupid. 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's a vicious cycle....the very people screaming about lockdowns/businesses closing, etc. are the ones causing them for the most part.  If everyone was on board, we'd be much more efficient in curbing these spikes.  People wanting to ignore the guidelines just push things further down the road.

I don't know, I'd say that's wishful thinking borne out of frustration. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Correct. Hands are a big thing. For the first time that I can remember, I have not been sick even one day in the last 12 months, and I took/take the warning seriously of washing hands frequently. I think the mask-wearing has been damaging because now I look around and see people are emboldened to carry on conversing from a foot or two away, blowing breathe out the sides of their masks. 6 feet and handwashing was working better, IMO. 

Only 3M masks block the pathogen. The masks 99.999% of people including me wear do NOT block the pathogen. It's too tiny and goes right thru the mask with the air we breath in and breath out. 

Masks only protect against saliva or nasal mucus ejected by coughing or sneezing etc.  Without a mask bodily fluids travel far and infect areas which other ppl will touch.

The #1 thing I try to do is wash my hands lots.

I've always washed my hands often since i was young so it's not a big adjustment for me. Its a habit for me since a young age. 

I dont even remember the last time i had the flu or was sick.

But for people who don't usually wash hands regularly they need to be mindful and keep reminding themselves. Soon enough it  becomes a habit.

Just now, Patrik Laine said:

Why couldn't the us govt And canadian govt give a vaccine to all the players in each league? The US just administered 4 million doses today averaging 3 million per day the last week. Yes they are cutting the line but who cares alot of people are stuck at home following the guidelines and would be nice to have a distraction that sporting events can bring. A small sense of normalcy. Damn I'm good I should run for prime Minister.

You got my vote. You could say our government is doing a good job, but I don't see it that way. They missed the boat PPE, then vaccine procurement, they are slow right now on the vaccine rollout, and the travel restrictions were never deep enough to stop transmission. They literally never learned the lesson yet. There's that special group of people on my feed that go to the bar and still went to Mexico. Apparently surfs up in Tofino this weekend.  I'm sure everyone here knows the type. They just don't care about anything but themselves. Politely asking them to social distance and stay home never worked, and they ruined it for the rest. I can't even walk 10 min to the local store without seeing multiple social distancing problems and unsafe behavior. I think people are just tired of being tired. If there is a finger to point, it's at the slow vaccine rollout because Trudeau could have actually done something about that.

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's like 80% of the population has just decided that they're going to be that one kid in class who won't follow the rules and ruins free time for the entire class.

These people either don't get or don't care that it is them who is causing businesses to suffer, not the government, not the doctors.......though they do share some of the blame

I have co workers and a boss like this it is really frustrating. Daily scamdemic comments. Tiresome at best 

• RoughGame 1

28 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Sorry to hear that, this thing is wreaking havoc on everyone, I found out today a friend of the family committed suicide, he was really struggling with the lockdown and lost his business.

My condolences, that's terrible news. :( 

• Cheers 4

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I guy worked with. He owned a small business in Richmond in the 90's. Moved the interior. Became a real estate agent. Now is a contractor. He's spouting stupid stuff like the sooner everyone stops wearing masks, and gets back to normal the sooner this will be over. I stopped speaking to him. I knew he was right wing. I didn't think he was stupid. 

Okay, but what has a mask mandate in buildings actually gotten us? I mean... here we ARE. 

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Okay, but what has a mask mandate in buildings actually gotten us? I mean... here we ARE. 

Even if masks captured 100% of the virus people are the problem, be it not wearing it correctly, touching the mask every couple minute, thinking they’re invincible and not keeping their distance.......

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Only 3M masks block the pathogen. The masks 99.999% of people including me wear do NOT block the pathogen. It's too tiny and goes right thru the mask with the air we breath in and breath out. 

Masks only protect against saliva or nasal mucus ejected by coughing or sneezing etc.  Without a mask bodily fluids travel far and infect areas which other ppl will touch.

I've always washed my hands often since i was young so it's not a big adjustment for me. Its a habit for me since a young age. 

But for people who don't usually wash hands regularly they need to be mindful and keep reminding themselves. Soon enough it  becomes a habit.

The Mayo Clinic disagrees

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

If your are asking about the differences in efficacyThe trials are not head to head trials, so efficacy % are not directly comparable.  The AZ trials were done in multiple countries later than mRNA trials, when the variants were emerging.  Different vaccine designs may induce responses better than others. Other factors may include dosage, interval between first and second (UK AZ trial showed 81% if given >12 weeks apart, but only 55% 4 wks apart), use of other ingredients to stimulate immune response (adjuvant). 

This video provides good explanation:

If you are asking the vaccine design differences: the delivery platform is different. One uses lipid particles with mRNA to deliver instructions on how to make the viral protein, which will train the immune system to recognize it, so that if you are infected by the real virus your body is already prepared.  AZ like Janssen, Sputnik, CanSino, are adenovirus vector based.  Adenovirus vector is a common cold virus that is made replication defective, and delivers instructions on how to make the spike protein to the cell. It has DNA for the spike protein, but it is temporary and the DNA cannot be integrated to your cell. Both vaccines don't stay in your body for a long time. They are degraded. Doesn't give your 5G, cause cancer or infertility. 

Here is a good video on explaining the different platforms :

Thank you, you're amazing.  I wanna come for beers too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think the increased hand-washing is now a permanent thing with me. I'm a believer now (better late than never). I've watched two documentaries from doctors who say hand cleanliness is the BIGGEST factor during the pandemic. I'm on-board.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Even if masks captured 100% of the virus people are the problem, be it not wearing it correctly, touching the mask every couple minute, thinking they’re invincible and not keeping their distance.......

The amount of old people in my town improperly wearing masks in my town is astounding. Combined with removing the mask to cough and sneeze. :picard:

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

I think the increased hand-washing is now a permanent thing with me. I'm a believer now (better late than never). I've watched two documentaries from doctors who say hand cleanliness is the BIGGEST factor during the pandemic. I'm on-board.

I know I should be doing this, I always believed in giving my immune system a good work out and apart from February 2020 I have not been sick in forever.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

The amount of old people in my town improperly wearing masks in my town is astounding. Combined with removing the mask to cough and sneeze. :picard:

Sad but true. Or removing the mask after approaching the cashier to talk.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

It everywhere trust me, hop on sky train during rush hour, I’m amazed everyone doesn’t end up sick.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I know I should be doing this, I always believed in giving my immune system a good work out and apart from February 2020 I have not been sick in forever.

I think having a strong immune system is the very best asset we have, and for that reason I've never gotten a flu shot. I've thought about it a few times, but I always come back to preferring to refuse to risk altering my immune system. 

You might just have very, very good genes. That counts for a lot if you're one of the fortunate ones. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Cheers 1