The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 prospects the Canucks could select in the first round of the 2021 draft

Rate this topic

Me_

I just read this article on who the Canucks May Draft...

(since Brad May was a Canucks, my autocorrect will not stop putting “May” instead of “may”... and I’ve decided never to correct it again)

“Luke Hughes, D

Quinn Hughes’ younger brother Luke is projected to be a top ten pick. Like Quinn, Luke is a smooth-skating defenceman who can put up points and quarterback a power play. Hughes has got good hands and great passing and poke-checking ability.”

FD88DAFA-DAB1-4D1A-A615-DED4F572F3BE.jpeg

Now imagine that!

HUGHES - HUGHES

for the next 10-15 years...

Edited by Me_
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I got my eye on Brandt Clarke. Good chance he’s gone early. Only High end righty on Defence.

Also heard Hughes may fall as he closed his season due to injury.

Either way take the best player available whether it’s forward or defence 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If he's BPA at the spot we pick, sure. But as much as I like Quinn, I'm not interested in picking his brother over BPA for the sake of having 2/3 Hughes brothers. 

That being said, having another high end D prospect definitely wouldn't hurt. Would like to see more centers in our system though. 

Why? Pete Miller BoHo Podkolzin are all Cs and sub 28. With 3 sub 25. The Canucks need defence and wingers

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If he's BPA at the spot we pick, sure. But as much as I like Quinn, I'm not interested in picking his brother over BPA for the sake of having 2/3 Hughes brothers. 

That being said, having another high end D prospect definitely wouldn't hurt. Would like to see more centers in our system though. 

how do you judge BPA in such a wonky year? 

If we're picking around 12th, I'd like to see us nab Wallstedt. By the time he's NHL ready Demko will be a UFA or a year from it. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I just read this article on who the Canucks May Draft...

(since Brad May was a Canucks, my autocorrect will not stop putting “May” instead of “may”...

“Luke Hughes, D

Quinn Hughes’ younger brother Luke is projected to be a top ten pick. Like Quinn, Luke is a smooth-skating defenceman who can put up points and quarterback a power play. Hughes has got good hands and great passing and poke-checking ability.”

FD88DAFA-DAB1-4D1A-A615-DED4F572F3BE.jpeg

Now imagine that!

HUGHES - HUGHES

for the next 10-15 years...

Could lure Jack Hughes too if his two bros are playing in Vancouver.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If we're picking around 12th, I'd like to see us nab Wallstedt. By the time he's NHL ready Demko will be a UFA or a year from it. 

Now that, that is a very good question. I don't envy management and our scouting staff, but every team will be under scrutiny regarding this draft going forward. It's really hard to know and project given Covid realities. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its more and more likely that the draft gets pushed back to next summer and they do both drafts a couple of weeks apart. The advantage of this, considering its likely that the Canucks will draft in the top 10, we will have a much better idea of how the player that we are going to pick, will perform in his draft +1 year, before even drafting him, and he'll be that much more likely to be able to step right into the lineup.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I bet the Devils are thinking the same thing lol

ouch...

Didn't realize the potential for the reverse lure :) 

I don't think we will finish lower than the Devils in the standings -- hopefully we win the top 2 pick.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The likely truth is that we will have no idea who is better in the top 10.  Hughes has been rated as high as #1 and also outside the top ten.

He is probably somewhere around where we might pick... if he is available it won’t be a reach at all and there likely won’t be any daylight between half a dozen guys available at that point.  Why not take the guy with some extra marketing spin and who may help keep his brother in the fold longer term. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Now that, that is a very good question. I don't envy management and our scouting staff, but every team will be under scrutiny regarding this draft going forward. It's really hard to know and project given Covid realities. 

thats why I'm high on Jesper. I know we need d an C depth too, but JW's numbers from this year are based on games in the SHL, i.e. a lot of real playing time so less chance of it being a mirage. Big kid already too. 

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

The likely truth is that we will have no idea who is better in the top 10.  Hughes has been rated as high as #1 and also outside the top ten.

He is probably somewhere around where we might pick... if he is available it won’t be a reach at all and there likely won’t be any daylight between half a dozen guys available at that point.  Why not take the guy with some extra marketing spin and who may help keep his brother in the fold longer term. 

It's hard to say, but I'm sure the Canucks have multiple lists on the go. The approach to scouting has undoubtedly been a bit different, but each team will have their rankings I'm sure. I trust JB and our scouting staff, I'd rather they stick to their final list. We'll see though, it's def gonna be interesting. 

If they feel he's the best guy to take at wherever we draft, I'll support it. I'd prefer to see a center though, but yeah, BPA always imo. Although what that looks like will vary a lot from person to person. 

• Vintage 1