The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bridge Deals for Peterson/Hughes?

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

I like Petey as much as the next Canuck fan but there's gotta be at least a dozen centers in the league who'd take his lunch money if they went head to head in a 7 game series right now. That needs to be factored into this contarct.

McDavid, Draistal, Mackinnon, Scheifele, Matthews, Tavares, Crosby, Bergeron, Eichel, Malkin, Barkov, Kopitar, ROR, and I'd give HM/debatable status to guys like Couture, Barzal, Couturier, Zibanajed, etc.

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It has to be done based on the games played before their second contract.   EP had a great rookie season, and is a consistent player, however he's also been injured twice (like BB), and it's not all about points either.   Cant take career PGP for all players and make a comparison.   EP and BB were actually pretty close ... yes EP should get a better deal, that goes without saying, but numbers like 8.5 (AHO) and up just don't jive.  

you cant compare boeser ad ep40 they play different positions. centers are much more valuable to a team.

also about the injuries, do you just assume the other's were never injured?  it seems to me your just making up arbitrary stats to fit your motive. 

point missed 17 games 

mcdavid missed 37 games

eichel missed 37 games

matthews missed 34 games

are you saying that all these players should be paid 1-2 million more? whats the going rate for injuries calculator max-value- injured days* ?????

petterson missed 22 games so far.

Petterson played better hockey than aho,barzal,point on pretty much every metric. there's been comparison's done before and it's always been petterson>aho>barzal

also does scoring more points then aho.barzal,point or any other young player not named matthews,mcdavid,eichel not have any significace? if you can PROVE anything of what your spouting, please i would love to hear it.

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I like Petey as much as the next Canuck fan but there's gotta be at least a dozen centers in the league who'd take his lunch money if they went head to head in a 7 game series right now. That needs to be factored into this contarct.

McDavid, Draistal, Mackinnon, Scheifele, Matthews, Tavares, Crosby, Bergeron, Eichel, Malkin, Barkov, Kopitar, ROR, and I'd give HM/debatable status to guys like Couture, Barzal, Couturier, Zibanajed, etc.

no, it has less significance than you think. other wise no one would be paid more than crosby, until they surpassed him. or draisaital, or mackinnon.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its hard to say what Petey does, he may be like MacKinnon and take less to be on a winning team. 

mackinnon didn't take less, he earned less. his point totals were 63,52,38 his ppg was 0.7ppg. compared to ep40 0.93ppg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

no, it has less significance than you think. other wise no one would be paid more than crosby, until they surpassed him. or draisaital, or mackinnon.

I’m not saying it has to put a hard cap on the contract but it should be a factor. Crosby’s contract was signed many years ago in a different climate. But IMO, Petey shouldn’t be anything close to $9mill as an RFA unless he’s signing a longer term contract, similar to Aho’s offer sheet. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its hard to say what Petey does, he may be like MacKinnon and take less to be on a winning team. 

MacKinnon didn't take a discount. When he signed his deal his career high in points was 63 (in his rookie season) and he followed that up with a 38 and a 52 point season. He looked like a 50-60 point second line centre who might have some unrealized potential. 6.3 million AAV was fair market value for him.

He didn't break out until his 5th year (2nd year on his current deal).

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’m not saying it has to put a hard cap on the contract but it should be a factor. Crosby’s contract was signed many years ago in a different climate. But IMO, Petey shouldn’t be anything close to $9mill as an RFA unless he’s signing a longer term contract, similar to Aho’s offer sheet. 

yes, in that factor i agree. imo using mcdavids contract as a top contract is probably reasonable. but it's not as simple as that. I'm not sure if you can just mcdavid ppg/petterson ppg = contract multiplier.

if we did that EP40 would be getting a 9.5Mx8

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

yes, in that factor i agree. imo using mcdavids contract as a top contract is probably reasonable. but it's not as simple as that. I'm not sure if you can just mcdavid ppg/petterson ppg = contract multiplier.

if we did that EP40 would be getting a 9.5Mx8

I think it’s likely that he signs a bridge deal given the impact COVID has had on the financials of the league and its owners. If he signs 2-3 years I think he’s worth about $7 million, maybe $7.5 on the higher end. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Vintage 1

I think the flat cap might make JM push for bridges to keep things under control for now, but I'm not sure their agent will go for that. I suppose it will come down to how hard Hughes and Petey will let their agent push for money. Are they willing to potentially hold out of games? How much do they want to win? They must be aware that taking a massive cap hit lowers our chances of winning in the future.

Bridge deals would make sense, it gives them time to sort out the cap in next two years and maintaining the growth by finding a few veterans for cheap rather than dose out expensive bottom 6 contracts.  The Canucks do have the leverage but it will get expensive after bridge deal.  I can see them going for Boeser's second deal in salary but shorter term so that they can go for a longer term and higher cap hits once other players' contract coming off the book in next few years.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do think he took less, those first years of his were on crap teams and he still looked like a star in the making. 

It's not a coincidence that both Joe Sakic and Yzerman have turned into great GM's, because they were both the kinds of stars which made those around them better. They both clearly have a great eye for talent, and managed to build top franchises because of that. Guys who will take less than market value out of loyalty to the team who game them their shot, in order so that they can put that money towards winning, and the real superstars in this game.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Barzal,  signed for 3 X 7 million --- I would sign Petey to this deal fast....

We have to have 3 yr deal with Petey and Hughe as Boeser is up 2022 --- Horvat and Miller 2023

Sign Petey 3 yrs X 7.3 Million

Sign Hughes 3 X 6.8 Million

Edited by wildcam

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do think he took less, those first years of his were on crap teams and he still looked like a star in the making. 

https://milehighsticking.com/2016/07/05/colorado-avalanche-nathan-mackinnon-needs-to-step-up/

I seem to remember there were quite a few people who wondered if Nate would be more than a “good” first overall pick, similar to RNH. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

He didn’t say ‘core’ and let’s not act like Benning’s horrible UFA signings aren’t ruining our team.......

Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Rousell, Baer, etc.....  

These 5 make up over 20 million and not a single one is even close to a positive contributor to this team.  
Each one was paid more than they were worth, and could have found cheaper and shorter termed players quite easily.  

He has done ok with RFA. The guys with zero negotiation power.   

Im a Benning fan, but let’s be honest.  He has crippled this team. 

That's an oxymoron.

How can you be a fan of someone who crippled your favorite team. Unless you are not a fan of this team, or not a fan of Benning.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

That's an oxymoron.

How can you be a fan of someone who crippled your favorite team. Unless you are not a fan of this team, or not a fan of Benning.

Some people can take more than one thing in at a time and can process their own ideas.......

Benning has taken an old garbage team and brought us a full cupboard and a great up and coming team. 
In a couple years when the crippling dog Pooh contracts Benning has signed are done, we are set up to be one hell of a team. 

Make sense?

He has done an amazing job drafting and rebuilding this team.  

At the same time, he signed garbage contracts that are holding the team back this year and next.  

Seeing the changes he has made, as well as the Loui’s, I choose to side with being a Benning fan as opposed to a hater.   

You’re an oxymoron.     Hahaha

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

you cant compare boeser ad ep40 they play different positions. centers are much more valuable to a team.

also about the injuries, do you just assume the other's were never injured?  it seems to me your just making up arbitrary stats to fit your motive. 

point missed 17 games 

mcdavid missed 37 games

eichel missed 37 games

matthews missed 34 games

are you saying that all these players should be paid 1-2 million more? whats the going rate for injuries calculator max-value- injured days* ?????

petterson missed 22 games so far.

Petterson played better hockey than aho,barzal,point on pretty much every metric. there's been comparison's done before and it's always been petterson>aho>barzal

also does scoring more points then aho.barzal,point or any other young player not named matthews,mcdavid,eichel not have any significace? if you can PROVE anything of what your spouting, please i would love to hear it.

I'm aware of their positions.   Also aware that EP has so much skill he made the switch which for sure is unusual, it's usually the other way around (C's can't cut it and go to the wing).   Based on the eye test, EP has more value then BB over the same time frame.   But one falls down whenever he's bumped, the other doesn't.    And JT Miller insulates EP to a certain degree.   I'm sorry, as of what i've seen so far,  EP despite all the promise hasn't done enough IMO to warrant a deal like AHO,  probably not Barzal either.     If you read my posts that's where i'm going, those two contracts set the market. 

Didn't AHO score 49, 63, 83 points? 

Didn't Barzal score  85, 62, 60?

And Trotz came in his second year and change all their d systems. 

Compared to 66, 66, ??

The only "always been" is this market. Their are other players out their too.   Brayden Point as well. 

Edit:  Have to add.   Based on this his contract year, have you noticed any significant improvements?  BB for sure carried our forward group this year, our best all around forward.   Yes he's older, that matters for sure.   I've watched several players enter the league and have their best seasons year one.   I don't think that's what we have in EP, but i also haven't seen him carry the play and make a difference like i did with Bure or Mogilny.   As for QHs,  well Jovo had a couple years with us where he was very close to Norris finalists too, and I remember him taking over games by himself and doing it.   EP had three five point games his rookie year.   I think maybe it was two, and yes he looked poised for something great.   Not that he won't do that, but you have to pay your second contract guys on what they have done, not on potential.   At least that's how i see it.   Let them earn their third contracts.   Tavares and Mackinnon might be the last two guys i've seen do that so get that it's nit the same as it was before Dubas and Chakya (the analytic GMs) pretty much did their best to break the system.   

Edited by IBatch