The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

It 100% would've cost you that level of sweeteners to move serious cap during covid times.

I have never claimed JB is a great GM, nor did I say that he should have signed those players to those contracts, just that moving them last off season was not easy and would have been cost prohibitive. I also think that trading futures for those contracts would have done more damage to our future and team development than letting them lapse.

Our core (namely EP, QH, TD ages 22, 21, 25) is not yet ready to contend. Look at our 2011 Stanley Cup Final team with Sedins (age 30), Burrows (30), Kesler (26), Bieksa (29), Luongo (32).  Realistically it is going to take a couple more years of development for the Canucks to be serious contenders. The players on bad contracts that you mention will be well gone by then.

It is then that we need a supporting cast of role players that are not overpaid and can contribute. JB is not the GM to do that, nor should he still be here then.

So what if Benning signs more of them? Because I guarantee he will.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

15 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

It 100% would've cost you that level of sweeteners to move serious cap during covid times.

I have never claimed JB is a great GM, nor did I say that he should have signed those players to those contracts, just that moving them last off season was not easy and would have been cost prohibitive. I also think that trading futures for those contracts would have done more damage to our future and team development than letting them lapse.

Our core (namely EP, QH, TD ages 22, 21, 25) is not yet ready to contend. Look at our 2011 Stanley Cup Final team with Sedins (age 30), Burrows (30), Kesler (26), Bieksa (29), Luongo (32).  Realistically it is going to take a couple more years of development for the Canucks to be serious contenders. The players on bad contracts that you mention will be well gone by then.

It is then that we need a supporting cast of role players that are not overpaid and can contribute. JB is not the GM to do that, nor should he still be here then.

The Canucks would probably already be contenders if they had a competent GM. Lots of money has been available over the years that he has squandered.

There is likely no other team in the league with this many supposedly untradable contracts.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

This was such a bad trade. Gaudette had offensive potential, but we never played him with skilled players. Now, he has 4 points in 5 games with Chicago, and is getting a look in the top 6. Instead of thinking, "Oh we can just replace him with Lind," we should have been thinking, "How would he play with Lind?"

The fact we didn't even get a pick back is just unbelievable. 

I suspect that this trade (likely) had more to do with Gaudette no longer being welcome in the room than it had to do with hockey (see Covid issues and Gaudette). Getting him clear of the team was perhaps the best for both the team and for Gaudette.

As to not getting a pick for Gaudette, have you considered that other teams don't share the opinion of some here, and they don't hold Gaudette in high regard? For curiosity sake, what level of pick in return would anyone consider to be appropriate?

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks would probably already be contenders if they had a competent GM. Lots of money has been available over the years that he has squandered.

There is likely no other team in the league with this many supposedly untradable contracts.

San Jose?

The Canucks have two or three contracts that could be considered to be "bad"or untradeable for cap hit reasons (Eriksson, Myers?, and ????). But with the Sharks between player age, cap hit, term and/or NTC and NMC clauses they are kinda' screwed with maybe as many as six. And we aren't talking about Roussel or Beagel at $3 million type of contract (or even Sutter, but I believe he is worth his contract).

There are some guys attached to those SJ contracts who are still pretty good players, but moving them for a reasonable return will be kinda' tough.

regards,  G.

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

San Jose?

The Canucks have two or three contracts that could be considered to be "bad"or untradeable for cap hit reasons (Eriksson, Myers?, and ????). But with the Sharks between player age, cap hit, term and/or NTC and NMC clauses they are kinda' screwed with maybe as many as six. And we aren't talking about Roussel or Beagel at $3 million type of contract (or even Sutter, but I believe he is worth his contract).

There are some guys attached to those SJ contracts who are still pretty good players, but moving them for a reasonable return will be kinda' tough.

regards,  G.

I think a team would trade for Myers. He’s nowhere near as bad as folks make him out to be. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think a team would trade for Myers. He’s nowhere near as bad as folks make him out to be. 

Agree. I'm just going by the grumbles one may find on this site.  :)

regards,  G.

56 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Skinner contract is pretty god damn awful. I’d rather have who we have than that contract. 

Myers has 3 years left after this season at 6M and Skinner has 6 years left after this season at 9M with a full NMC. 

Myers’s play is worth like 4.5 and this season Skinner’s play is worth like 1.5M. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

San Jose?

regards,  G.

I just got told that Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi, and Sutter were untradeable without adding 2nd or 1st round picks.

55 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I suspect that this trade (likely) had more to do with Gaudette no longer being welcome in the room than it had to do with hockey (see Covid issues and Gaudette). Getting him clear of the team was perhaps the best for both the team and for Gaudette.

As to not getting a pick for Gaudette, have you considered that other teams don't share the opinion of some here, and they don't hold Gaudette in high regard? For curiosity sake, what level of pick in return would anyone consider to be appropriate?

regards,  G.

I get the same feeling. It seems as though the team was upset with Gaudette and his girlfriend not following Covid-19 regulations.

I think we should have got at least a 4th for him, as he was a 5th rounder that outperformed his draft slot and is further along in development.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Skinner contract is pretty god damn awful. I’d rather have who we have than that contract. 

Myers has 3 years left after this season at 6M and Skinner has 6 years left after this season at 9M with a full NMC. 

Myers’s play is worth like 4.5 and this season Skinner’s play is worth like 1.5M. 

Thats one contract though. And as far as I know I never mentioned Myers.

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I just got told that Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi, and Sutter were untradeable without adding 2nd or 1st round picks.

I’m late to this conversation so maybe I missed something but why would someone want to trade Baertchi and Sutter’s contracts? Don’t they only have 9 games left in their contracts?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Well don't you believe them!  :P

I guess it's a good thing that Eriksson and Roussel have only one more year left on their deals, Beagle is quite possibly going to be on LITR for next season, and Sutter and Baertschi's contracts are over at the end of the season. I would suggest that Sutter (assuming the Canucks were willing to sell at a significant loss) could have traded him without any sort of sweetner. Some of those guys on SJ it would take, just to start the conversation, salary retention which would (in some cases) be equal to or greater than Sutter's full cap hit... yikes.

Didn't injuries during their time here impact on the ability of making trades for Sutter, Beagle, Baertschi and Roussel (hip thing?). Gosh darn those other GMs not wanting to give the Canucks multiple high draft picks for injured players. 

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Well don't you believe them!  :P

I guess it's a good thing that Eriksson and Roussel have only one more year left on their deals, Beagle is quite possibly going to be on LITR for next season, and Sutter and Baertschi's contracts are over at the end of the season. I would suggest that Sutter (assuming the Canucks were willing to sell at a significant loss) could have traded him without any sort of sweetner. Some of those guys on SJ it would take, just to start the conversation, salary retention which would (in some cases) be equal to or greater than Sutter's full cap hit... yikes.

Didn't injuries during their time here impact on the ability of making trades for Sutter, Beagle, Baertschi and Roussel (hip thing?). Gosh darn those other GMs not wanting to give the Canucks multiple high draft picks for injured players. 

regards,  G.

When did I say any of them would get a return of high draft picks, injured or not? The cap space and spot for a younger player alone would have been a huge win.

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m late to this conversation so maybe I missed something but why would someone want to trade Baertchi and Sutter’s contracts? Don’t they only have 9 games left in their contracts?

They had a year left last offseason and even more the entire year before. Thats the time frame I was talking about.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I get the same feeling. It seems as though the team was upset with Gaudette and his girlfriend not following Covid-19 regulations.

I think we should have got at least a 4th for him, as he was a 5th rounder that outperformed his draft slot and is further along in development.

Yeah, however, I suspect that the Chicago GM felt otherwise, and he probably realised that he had the Canucks over a barrel.

Mostly Chicago was willing to do the Canucks a favour by taking Gaudette in exchange for just a bottom-6 guy (a contract for a contract) who plays well (for a bottom-6). It's not like they were going to do the Canucks any significant favours beyond agreeing to take Gaudette off of the Canucks' hands. If the Canucks did press for a pick, the Hawks could have made an offer that would actually cost the Canucks (so one or more guys who are less than Highmore, with more term and cap, and a 7th). I'm fine with what the got.

regards,  G.

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When did I say any of them would get a return of high draft picks, injured or not? The cap space and spot for a younger player alone would have been a huge win.

Not saying you did, I'm just going by the usual refrain that can be heard around here.  :)

The only one of these "untradeable" contracts is Eriksson's deal (IMO). And even if the Canucks were to attach a 1st round pick to the deal, how many teams could add a $6 million cap hit to their team? And with Eriksson having a (modified) NTC with which he could exclude pretty well any of the bottom feeder teams with cap space, where was he going to go? 

regards,  G.

32 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Not saying you did, I'm just going by the usual refrain that can be heard around here.  :)

The only one of these "untradeable" contracts is Eriksson's deal (IMO). And even if the Canucks were to attach a 1st round pick to the deal, how many teams could add a $6 million cap hit to their team? And with Eriksson having a (modified) NTC with which he could exclude pretty well any of the bottom feeder teams with cap space, where was he going to go? 

regards,  G.

Therein lies my complaint about why giving out so many limited ntc is a bad strategy by Benning.

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Therein lies my complaint about why giving out so many limited ntc is a bad strategy by Benning.

This is a valid point. Another thing to consider is this, what do you give a player who is willing to sign here but wants more money than you are willing (or able) to pay?

regards,  G.

PS - interesting reading regarding Columbus: https://theathletic.com/2546910/2021/05/03/former-blue-jackets-on-whats-wrong-with-columbus-if-youre-going-to-try-to-sign-free-agents-you-need-to-overpay/

• Thanks 1