The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

14 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

This is a valid point. Another thing to consider is this, what do you give a player who is willing to sign here but wants more money than you are willing (or able) to pay?

regards,  G.

PS - interesting reading regarding Columbus: https://theathletic.com/2546910/2021/05/03/former-blue-jackets-on-whats-wrong-with-columbus-if-youre-going-to-try-to-sign-free-agents-you-need-to-overpay/

Depends on how replaceable the players skill set is by someone else.

For bottom 6 "glue guys" or "foundational players", you dont break the bank for them when you are a bottom feeding team.

Imagine if instead of acquiring and then extending some of those players, Benning had instead kept the assets he traded (or traded them for picks and prospects) and simultaneously used the cap space to take on a comparable player from a cap strapped team by getting them to throw in a high pick or top prospect?

The end result, a bottom of the league team with some overpriced veterans to fill spots through the lean years. But with a bunch of added picks and prospects instead of giving them away to acquire those players.

Cap space is the most valuable trade piece in the nhl. And its not even close.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

This is why I question Bennings pro scouting ability. He did it that way rather than the way I suggest because he genuinely believed those players were the missing pieces in a competitive team. History has not been kind. But even at the time it was easy to see a much better path.

This is the difference between "hating" Benning (which i get accused of daily) and genuinely and objectively assessing him as poor at his job with reasons why I come to that conclusion.

No one has to agree with my perspective but dismissing it as haterzzzzz etc is not realistic. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats one contract though. And as far as I know I never mentioned Myers.

I was just comparing. Our cap troubles are mostly gone after next season(we’ll have around 30M in cap after 2021-22). Will have to only re-sign Boeser.  Still probably in for another down year next season since are gonna be younger. Whoever’s the GM just needs to be better with the cap. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I was just comparing. Our cap troubles are mostly gone after next season(we’ll have around 30M in cap after 2021-22). Will have to only re-sign Boeser.  Still probably in for another down year next season since are gonna be younger. Whoever’s the GM just needs to be better with the cap. 

This is my concern though. 

Cap is coming available, just like it has several times during Bennings tenure. He genuinely believed the players he signed previously were keys to a competitive team. So what is he going to waste that cap space on?

If Benning does the same type of signings it means there will need to be another rebuild and no window for this core. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is the difference between "hating" Benning (which i get accused of daily) and genuinely and objectively assessing him as poor at his job with reasons why I come to that conclusion.

No one has to agree with my perspective but dismissing it as haterzzzzz etc is not realistic. 

absoloutly it's your opinion and we can and should all respect that.

But continuously assessing him as poor at his job, over and over and over again, is where your perspective starts to lean towards Obsession.

Change is in the winds, change can be good, change will be exciting.

Go Canucks Go

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

absoloutly it's your opinion and we can and should all respect that.

But continuously assessing him as poor at his job, over and over and over again, is where your perspective starts to lean towards Obsession.

Change is in the winds, change can be good, change will be exciting.

Go Canucks Go

I have been obsessed with this team for over 40 years. Seen a lot of terrible management in that time. Can anyone blame me for wanting to see my team actually do the right things to win a cup before I die?

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I have been obsessed with this team for over 40 years. Seen a lot of terrible management in that time. Can anyone blame me for wanting to see my team actually do the right things to win a cup before I die?

same here, since 1970, ditto on some bad management.

IMHO, JB has been adequate, propped up by some decent scouting and drafting. Yes you can point to some bad signings, but every GM can be picked apart.

Now that our CORE is supposedly set, IMHO, i think we need change to take the next step.

I've just spent my life not obsessively complaining as it's not healthy, not productive and in the end, no one really gives a $&!# about my opinion anyways

Cheers 

Go Canucks Go

4 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

same here, since 1970, ditto on some bad management.

IMHO, JB has been adequate, propped up by some decent scouting and drafting. Yes you can point to some bad signings, but every GM can be picked apart.

Now that our CORE is supposedly set, IMHO, i think we need change to take the next step.

I've just spent my life not obsessively complaining as it's not healthy, not productive and in the end, no one really gives a $&!# about my opinion anyways

Cheers 

Go Canucks Go

I guess I dont really care if anyone agrees with me or not so I just speak my mind.

• Cheers 1

On 5/5/2021 at 3:08 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

At least Calgary paid top dollar for actual top players not bottom 6 aging scrubs like Benning. Neither Markstrom nor Tanev have been the Flames problem this year. 

get real  re: Calgary.  you've conveniently cherry picked here.

crap goggles for your team - rose goggles for rivals.

they're still paying for the Brouwer buyout (4.5 million per deal still costing them 1.5 for another year).

and Stone buyouts (3.5 million costing them 1.16 this year).

they're still eating the cap they spent on James Neal in the form of eating Lucic - who has 2 more years beyond this - at 5.25 million.

Derek Ryan's 3.125 million has hit waivers repeatedly.

All those deals signed by the present GM - Treliving - who makes 'mistakes' - like every other GM in the business.

Fluffing the Flames as if they have no dead cap is just plain delusional (over 16 million per worth of contracts - as you "at least" the Flames...)

you're the guy that wants to call out GMs like Benning - at the same time as you still refer to a player like JT Miller as a cap dump.

fyi -  those are actual "cap dumps" - contracts with relative negative value.   once you grasp something as simple as what constitutes a cap dump, then perhaps your endless callouts of management can be taken seriously.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

they're still paying for the Brouwer buyout (4.5 million per deal still costing them 1.5 for another year).

they're still eating the cap they spent on James Neal in the form of eating Lucic - who has 2 more years beyond this - at 5.25 million.

All those deals signed by the present GM - Treliving - who makes 'mistakes' - like every other GM in the business.

Fluffing the Flames as if they have no dead cap is just plain delusional (over 16 million per worth of contracts - as you "at least" the Flames...)

you're the guy that wants to call out GMs like Benning - at the same time as you still refer to a player like JT Miller as a cap dump.

fyi -  those are actual "cap dumps" - contracts with relative negative value.   once you grasp something as simple as what constitutes a cap dump, then perhaps your endless callouts of management can be taken seriously.

what are the odds on Treliving still being the GM after this year? I'd say 50-50. The F'Lames had no excuses to miss the playoffs this year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Does any realize that to build a cup winning team, its to be done through drafting. Not trading or signing. Those are the final pieces you add.

Since Benning has joined Vancouver in 2014 lets compare drafting with some of the teams who have drafted the highest since 2014 and we will put the 2 top scorers from each teams draft.

Vancouver: 1,747GP 831pts (Boeser and EP combined for 353pts) Outside of those 2 players our drafting has produced 478pts.

Toronto: 1,537GP 1,085pts (Matthews and Marner combined for 703pts)  382pts outside of Matthews and Marner

Edmonton: 1,548GP 1,268pts (Draisaitl and McDavid combined for 1059pts) 209pts outside of McDavid and Draisaitl

Colorado: 888GP 505pts (Makar and Rantanen combined for 398pts) 107pts outside of Rantanen and Makar

Bennings drafting has produced more NHL bodies than 3 teams that have drafted in the top 10 atleast 3 times and 2 of those teams have had first overalls. Outside of their top 2 players their NHL production drops significantly, Vancouver still has nearly 500pts produced outside of our top 2 scorers. We have also produced 200more NHL games than the next closest team. We may not have as lethal of players compared to generational players like McDavid and Matthews, but we make up for that with the rest of our drafting

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

When did I say any of that?

You're the guy who is extrapolating your hyperbole from a single comment. Markstrom is a top goalie. Tanev is a top dman. Those are just facts. 

Miller was a cap dump for Tampa. Doesnt mean he isnt a good player. They needed the cap space to sign Point. Its a pretty simple concept. If they could have kept him and signed Point they probably would have.

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what are the odds on Treliving still being the GM after this year? I'd say 50-50. The F'Lames had no excuses to miss the playoffs this year. 

I think Treliving is a pretty good GM, personally.    I wouldn't be scapegoating him for Calgary's season.  Has he made some 'mistakes'?  Of course - I think every single GM does - it's inevitable when they make as many decisions, take as many necessary risks as they do.

There are a few (player) changes I'd make there, personally but it's hard to judge many teams under these circumstances.

Actually - there are a lot of teams around the league that I wouldn't judge based on this bizarre, roller coaster season.

AV is another good example - Philly's youth have struggled this year - I think that was to be 'expected'...Would I fire Vigneault over it?  Absolutely not.

Ottawa was horrendous out of the gate - again to be expected to an extent imo - many folks thought they'd be better this year (mostly based on additions like Stepan that struck me as an awful deal at the time - many would have cleaned house after a month or two....but not now - not if we're fishbowling the last month.  I thought they made some bizarre moves in the offseason, but it's hard to argue with the group of young players they have (beyond just the high picks)....

L.A. was getting fluffed hard earlier this year..but have 'returned to the mean' - and their good start was on the backs of their veterans imo.  Is Blake still a genius?

A lot of young groups / emerging cores on transitioning teams - have really struggled this year.

I think what the NYR's owner just did - was knee-jerk derp material.

Really - the first guy I would expect to be terminated was/has been Tortorella - for some time - as long as he's still behind that bench anyone else surviving is second fiddle news imo.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Does any realize that to build a cup winning team, its to be done through drafting.

lets compare drafting with some of the teams who have drafted the highest since 2014

Toronto

Edmonton

Colorado

no - no one realizes that - just you.

classic cherry pick.

Buffalo

New Jersey

Ottawa

Detroit

etc

None of them have drafted highest since 2014, right.

Btw - how many playoff rounds have your cherry picks won?

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2021 at 3:08 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

At least Calgary paid top dollar for actual top players not bottom 6 aging scrubs like Benning.

26 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Treliving and Benning are remarkably similar GM's in their level of futility in the job.

Fluff... and flip flop.

• RoughGame 2

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Fluff... and flip flop.

Haha says the guy who slags on the Flames in one post (ostensibly to argue that other teams sucking excuses our team sucking) then follows it up saying their gm is good.

Probably because saying anything else by default siggest Benning isnt good.

• RoughGame 1