The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

As far as Utica.....I hadn't commented on that but since you brought it up, its a balance.  Good point about practice time also increasing with less travel.  When we were a part of the Chicago Wolves organization we were at least a little more central.  And maybe that's the best compromise. Maybe an American city even more central than Chicago.  A compromise for not only AHL league travel, but for recalls, whether Canucks are at home or away.

On the other hand, having the farm team very close to the main team has its advantages too. Bad for the AHL team travel.  But for half the games for the Canucks they will play at Rogers Arena, so having that ability to call up and send down prospects easier would be helpful to the big club.  And for fans it would be fantastic to attend games and follow the prospects more readily.

Would likely be vetoed by the other Western AHL teams.  It's one thing for a Vancouver- based team to go on a road trip thru San Diego, Ontario, Palm Springs, Bakersfield, Stockton, Henderson and Tucson, but totally different to expect these teams to fly north just for one - or two - games against the baby Nucks.   Would significantly add to their costs.

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

As far as Utica.....I hadn't commented on that but since you brought it up, its a balance.  Good point about practice time also increasing with less travel.  When we were a part of the Chicago Wolves organization we were at least a little more central.  And maybe that's the best compromise. Maybe an American city even more central than Chicago.  A compromise for not only AHL league travel, but for recalls, whether Canucks are at home or away.

On the other hand, having the farm team very close to the main team has its advantages too. Bad for the AHL team travel.  But for half the games for the Canucks they will play at Rogers Arena, so having that ability to call up and send down prospects easier would be helpful to the big club.  And for fans it would be fantastic to attend games and follow the prospects more readily.

I've heard someone from the Canucks organization mention that a really important factor is how much travel the AHL team does, and how having the baby Nucks play out West meant that they wouldn't have any time to practice and work on skill development which is so crucial to the players at that stage of their careers.  

After hearing that argument my mind was kind of made up that we should always try and minimize AHL team's travel above any other consideration. 

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Would likely be vetoed by the other Western AHL teams.  It's one thing for a Vancouver- based team to go on a road trip thru San Diego, Ontario, Palm Springs, Bakersfield, Stockton, Henderson and Tucson, but totally different to expect these teams to fly north just for one - or two - games against the baby Nucks.   Would significantly add to their costs.

Good point. 

But then why did they allow Calgary to set up their AHL team in Abbotsford?

11 minutes ago, Googlie said:

why would it be any different from the Moose? teams have to travel about the same distance to play them. 

• Cheers 2

Just a little sidenote:  as things sit right now, we are the 10th worst team in the league by points percentage and wouldn't be entered into the draft lottery.  So we would be guaranteed 11th overall pick with no chance of moving up. 

IE.  Let's go Arizona, Calgary, San Jose and Kings! 

The logic of having a team in Abbotsford in the AHL still has pros and cons. But it would also mean Manitoba and Abbotsford would have the most travel. Playing the California teams is fine. But you would still have to go to Tuscon and Colorado, and Manitoba. So things only get cheap when you're doing a California road trip. Doesn't really help with Covid. (Unless Seattle and Vancouver put farm teams in Oregon and Washington or something). 

I think what is good is being as far away from our media as possible. So if one of our prospects has a bad night, week, we don't hear about it as much. 

I sure like Utica and it's fans, they are loyal, and have a positive environment for our prospects. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Just a little sidenote:  as things sit right now, we are the 10th worst team in the league by points percentage and wouldn't be entered into the draft lottery.  So we would be guaranteed 11th overall pick with no chance of moving up. 

IE.  Let's go Arizona, Calgary, San Jose and Kings! 

I thought the changes take effect next season, not this season? 

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The logic of having a team in Abbotsford in the AHL still has pros and cons. But it would also mean Manitoba and Abbotsford would have the most travel. Playing the California teams is fine. But you would still have to go to Tuscon and Colorado, and Manitoba. So things only get cheap when you're doing a California road trip. Doesn't really help with Covid. (Unless Seattle and Vancouver put farm teams in Oregon and Washington or something). 

I think what is good is being as far away from our media as possible. So if one of our prospects has a bad night, week, we don't hear about it as much. 

I sure like Utica and it's fans, they are loyal, and have a positive environment for our prospects. 

:lol:  Maybe that's the REAL reason right there.

• Haha 1

Going through the news reports etc best guess right now at the Canucks lineup:

Boeser Horvat Miller Sutter Roussel Vesey Hoglander MacEwen Hawryluk  Boyd Pearson Lind/Graovac

Edler Myers Hamonic Hughes Chatfield Brisebois

Holtby (DiPietro)

• Cheers 1