The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal)- My thoughts on how the Canucks can get there in two years!

My Thoughts on how to get there!

UFA market:

·      Pick up Adam Larssson- 4.5x4

·      Brandon Sutter let go 4.375

·      Jimmy Vesey let go 900k

·      Alexander Edler let go 6.0

·      Sven Baertschi let go 2.3

·      Travis Boyd let go 700k

·      Ryan Spooner off the books 1.0     Savings (10.775)

Trade:

·      Nate Schmidt 5.95, Jake Virtanen 2.55, and a 2022 1st rounder for Ryan Johansen and a 2021 2nd.       Savings (500k)

Buy Out:

·      Louie Eriksson- saving cap space in 2021-2022    Savings (2.44)

Sign:

·      Elias Pettersson to 7.5 X 4

·      Quinn Hughes to 7.5 x 4

·      Nikita Tryamkin to 1.75 x 2                Cost 16.75

Expansion draft claim:

·      Tyler Myers claimed by Seattle         Savings (6.0)

Total Savings (19.715)

Minus Cost 16.75    = 2.965

Projected Lineup:

FORWARDS:

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Horvat

Johansen

Hoglander

Pearson

Podkolzin

Motte

Highmore

MacEwen

Beagle

Roussel

Lind

DEFENCE:

Hughes

Larsson

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Rathbone

Hamonic

At the Draft:

The Canucks probably end up with a top 5 overall pick, and with that pick they will be able to select, in a draft that is very heavy with excellent defenders, a bonafide top 4 defender, which will solidify the defence moving forward.

Summary:

By making the trade for Johansen, in essence the Canucks add a legit top 3 forward, with size, is truly a playmaker (Joe Thorton- like-ish), will play heavy, and is extremely durable. At 8 million per year for the next 5 we have some cap certainty. I do feel that he gives the team tons of flexibility when it comes to players positional needs. With Podkolzin coming, and likely going to have an instant impact, and could push for a Calder trophy next year. The Canucks top 9 look really competitive, which will be something they have not had since the 1994 season. Benning needs to be applauded for this ability to draft and assemble such a quality squad.

On the backend, Larsson is the natural fit for Hughes and could be had for a reasonable cap hit. By signing Tryamkin (who is now a seasoned professional) the Canucks have almost replaced Myers but at a third the cost. Joulevi and Rathbone are both ready to take regular spots on the Left side, and Hamonic has shown a very steadying influence with good heart on the Right side, so he should be brought back at a slight increase. This will be a young defence core, but considering JB’s belief that this team will be ready to rock in two years; giving this young defence core a chance to develop in primetime might be uber beneficial in the greater scheme of things.

Looking Ahead:

When you consider expiring contracts 2022-2023; Beagle (3.0) and Roussel (3.0), and Holtby (4.3), who in all three cases the Canucks let walk, and the need to resign RFA Boeser and Motte for decent raises. The Canucks will have enough cap room left over to add a quality defender through UFA or preferably trade to really enhance the clubs’ chances to be a contender.

• RoughGame 2

How is adding RyJo, who's not going to be a top-3 forward here and who's having an off-season, while giving up a 1st, when we already have Petey, a good deal?  (I'll give it to you that Larsson is probably a good pickup, but even if we're moving Schmidt I wouldn't want to add that much cap in return).

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, The King said:

UFA market:

Trade:

·      Nate Schmidt 5.95, Jake Virtanen 2.55, and a 2022 1st rounder for Ryan Johansen and a 2021 2nd.       Savings (500k)

Buy Out:

Sign:

Expansion draft claim:

Total Savings (19.715)

Projected Lineup:

FORWARDS:

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Horvat

Johansen

Hoglander

Pearson

Podkolzin

Motte

Highmore

MacEwen

Beagle

Roussel

Lind

DEFENCE:

Hughes

Larsson

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Rathbone

Hamonic

At the Draft:

The Canucks probably end up with a top 5 overall pick, and with that pick they will be able to select, in a draft that is very heavy with excellent defenders, a bonafide top 4 defender, which will solidify the defence moving forward.

Summary:

By making the trade for Johansen, in essence the Canucks add a legit top 3 forward, with size, is truly a playmaker (Joe Thorton- like-ish), will play heavy, and is extremely durable. At 8 million per year for the next 5 we have some cap certainty. I do feel that he gives the team tons of flexibility when it comes to players positional needs. With Podkolzin coming, and likely going to have an instant impact, and could push for a Calder trophy next year. The Canucks top 9 look really competitive, which will be something they have not had since the 1994 season. Benning needs to be applauded for this ability to draft and assemble such a quality squad.

On the backend, Larsson is the natural fit for Hughes and could be had for a reasonable cap hit. By signing Tryamkin (who is now a seasoned professional) the Canucks have almost replaced Myers but at a third the cost. Joulevi and Rathbone are both ready to take regular spots on the Left side, and Hamonic has shown a very steadying influence with good heart on the Right side, so he should be brought back at a slight increase. This will be a young defence core, but considering JB’s belief that this team will be ready to rock in two years; giving this young defence core a chance to develop in primetime might be uber beneficial in the greater scheme of things.

Looking Ahead:

When you consider expiring contracts 2022-2023; Beagle (3.0) and Roussel (3.0), and Holtby (4.3), who in all three cases the Canucks let walk, and the need to resign RFA Boeser and Motte for decent raises. The Canucks will have enough cap room left over to add a quality defender through UFA or preferably trade to really enhance the clubs’ chances to be a contender.

No way we get Pettey & Hughes for 7.5 mil each....dreaming

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

Aho > Pettey and AHO signed a 5 year deal at 8.465 per, and Chabot= Hughes year deal at 8.0 per. If Pettey and Hughes sign a bridge-like deal for 4 years then 7.5 is very, very realistic- you'll see. Pettey is not getting Draisaitil like money because he's not even close to Leon. 

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

I think they sign bridge deals for about 7 - 7.5 million for 2 - 3 years. It's not in their best interest to lock into long term deals right now due to the fact that the cap will likely remain at 81.5 for at least another 2 seasons, possibly as many as 4.

Hughes doesn't have that much negotiating power with the fact that he isn't eligible for offer sheet, and Pettersson has already said that he wouldn't accept one.

Expect them to cost us between 14 - 15 million combined, next season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The King said:

Aho > Pettey and AHO signed a 5 year deal at 8.465 per, and Chabot= Hughes year deal at 8.0 per. If Pettey and Hughes sign a bridge-like deal for 4 years then 7.5 is very, very realistic- you'll see. Pettey is not getting Draisaitil like money because he's not even close to Leon. 

I wouldn't say that Aho is better than Pettey, Aho is a year older and was a year older when he came to the league. I believe that Pettersson has a higher overall ceiling, but both are still growing. Time will tell on both. I personally think that the reason Pettersson is sitting out right now, is that someone was bugging him from early season, effecting his totals and it just finally got to the stage of them needing to give him the time to heal. I think they underestimated it.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

How is adding RyJo, who's not going to be a top-3 forward here and who's having an off-season, while giving up a 1st, when we already have Petey, a good deal?  (I'll give it to you that Larsson is probably a good pickup, but even if we're moving Schmidt I wouldn't want to add that much cap in return).

Johansen is exactly what this top 6 needs, a big strong forward who passes first. We have a top 6 who prefer to shot first. It's called line synergy, and he's the type of player that takes this team to another competitive level. I actually like the idea of moving Pettey to LW, RY JO at center, and Boeser on the right side. This becomes one of the top 5 lines in the NHL, and our second line with Miller on Bo's LW and Hoglander on the right. Pearson, Podkolzin and Motte could be a very capable 3rd line.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I wouldn't say that Aho is better than Pettey, Aho is a year older and was a year older when he came to the league. I believe that Pettersson has a higher overall ceiling, but both are still growing. Time will tell on both. I personally think that the reason Pettersson is sitting out right now, is that someone was bugging him from early season, effecting his totals and it just finally got to the stage of them needing to give him the time to heal. I think they underestimated it.

I'm a huge Canuck fan too, but AHO is better then Pettey, and that's ok. 

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Did you really just propose to trade for Johansen.....? Might as well go for Duchene and Skinner then. A collection of non performing players on monster contracts; and keep Ericsson. 

Laughable, RY JO has one off year and now he's Skinner. The entire Nashville team has been sub par. Every other team in the NHL would love to have Johansen on their team except for you...

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think they sign bridge deals for about 7 - 7.5 million for 2 - 3 years. It's not in their best interest to lock into long term deals right now due to the fact that the cap will likely remain at 81.5 for at least another 2 seasons, possibly as many as 4.

Hughes doesn't have that much negotiating power with the fact that he isn't eligible for offer sheet, and Pettersson has already said that he wouldn't accept one.

These are the bridge deals that they sign.  It's totally to their advantage to wait until the cap starts increasing again to sign long term contracts.  It suits the Canucks as well.

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

exactly, and that's why JB will try and get them for that 4th year.

3 hours ago, The King said:

UFA market:

Trade:

Buy Out:

Sign:

Expansion draft claim:

Total Savings (19.715)

Projected Lineup:

FORWARDS:

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Horvat

Johansen

Hoglander

Pearson

Podkolzin

Motte

Highmore

MacEwen

Beagle

Roussel

Lind

DEFENCE:

Hughes

Larsson

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Rathbone

Hamonic

At the Draft:

Summary:

Looking Ahead:

That Schmidt trade for Ryan Johansen is almost as stinky as many of the proposals that I come up with and that’s a saying a LOT.  :-p

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, The King said:

aho is better than petey NOW, but 2 years ago? thats debatable.