The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadiens Drouin takes indefinite leave of absence

Rate this topic

qwijibo

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Maybe instead of looking at how Ericksson should act people should take a minute to look inwards.  The amount of gate Drouin gets on social media is brutal.  There’s no confirmation that that’s the reason He’s stepping away but it’s not a reach to consider the possibility.  At the end of the day these guys are human. Maybe we dial back the personal attacks on them 

This is very, very true.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The Sergechev trade didn’t look good from day 1. Drouin  has taken the brunt of fan displeasure since he arrived. The best thing that could happen for him is a move to a less crazy hockey market.  

I think if Drouin cleaned up his game too, that would help immensely. I think if Vancouver had Drouin (in Virtanen), fans would still complain about his defensive game.

But yeah, hometown boy not thriving in a hometown. Not everyone can play in such a heated market. I think it was Sakic who specifically avoided playing in his hometown.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

I also recall Drouin holding out vs the TBay GM, back in his early yrs. One reason Hab's faithful were prob aghast at Bergevin spending Sergachev to obtain.

Bergevin's building-process is all over the place..like he's trying to please 3 or 4 masters. Sounds like their fans are mostly up in arms over this clown.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I also recall Drouin holding out vs the TBay GM, back in his early yrs. One reason Hab's faithful were prob aghast at Bergevin spending Sergachev to obtain.

Bergevin's building-process is all over the place..like he's trying to please 3 or 4 masters. Sounds like their fans are mostly up in arms over this clown.

Why call him a clown?  That’s exactly the kind of uncalled for crap the kid has been dealing with since the trade. 

He was disgruntled in Tampa because he didn’t think he deserved to be sent to the minors.  

Montreal fans didn’t like the trade because Sergechev was an ideal piece to fill a hole they had on D. Meanwhile Drouin was a winger who was brought in to play C. Was a bad fit 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nah. That wasn't a personal attack by myself on LE. Nothing personal at all. I'm a jilted fan tired of his severe underperformance. I'm entitled to that. 

Just because you can help run a player out of town, doesn't mean you should.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

The Sergechev trade didn’t look good from day 1. Drouin  has taken the brunt of fan displeasure since he arrived. The best thing that could happen for him is a move to a less crazy hockey market.  

bennet seems to be doing alot better since going to the panthers and there doing good this year, bet sam's stoked.

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully he's able to sort out whatever issues he's having.  This fanbase should be very understanding after what happened to Rypien and the subsequent commitment from our group to promote mental health.

Unfortunately, this fanbase (overall) has never shown that it learns from its own mistakes because it spends a lot of time blaming others. Whether it's blaming irrationally on one GM, or a player (Eriksson), it's always somebody else's fault.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bergevin is the clown. I don't know about Drouin's trouble, but that's his business.

Still seems like an odd choice to make a personal attack on someone in a thread about someone having to step away from the game they live to deal with what might be a mental health issue.  Regardless. Bergevin is a but if a mixed bag when it comes to his moves.  He’s won most of his trades pretty handily. He turned Galchenyuk into Anderson (via Domi). He managed to sign Toffoli to a very reasonable deal.  The biggest knock on him is his salary cap management and in until the last couple years, his drafting. For every fan who wants him fired you’ll likely find one who thinks he should be considered for GM of the year this season 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully he's able to sort out whatever issues he's having.  This fanbase should be very understanding after what happened to Rypien and the subsequent commitment from our group to promote mental health.

Sure...............right.................

Have you been in the Adam Guadette trade thread recently? Or the other multiple threads where people continue to blame him for the covid outbreak?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Sure...............right.................

Have you been in the Adam Guadette trade thread recently? Or the other multiple threads where people continue to blame him for the covid outbreak?

There is a disconnect between what should be happening and what is happening.  Some things are private and should remain so.

• Upvote 1

Don't know much/anything about what underlies this - but regardless, it's a bit of a rock and a hard place for both the player and the team.

Might serve both to move on - but that's a difficult contract to move.

Personally I would have moved him long ago at first opportunity (better yet not acquire him in the first place).

There have been a few flashes in Montreal where he appeared like he might actually develop his game...

But still

3.4 on ice goals against per 60 is the worst on the Habs

-8 is the worst among Habs forwards.

58.8% ozone starts is 3rd highest on that forward group.

Top 3 among forwards in powerplay ice time.

2 goals and 23 points.

Not really a player you "win with" imo.   Thought he was an over-rated prima-donna at the junior level, wasn't impressed with how highly he thought of himself in Tampa (who made the right move dealing him)....

Seems to have grown up somewhat in Montreal - but regardless - the part that matters to a hockey fan - the 'fair game' part = the on ice performance - just doesn't look like a significant loss to the Habs.

• Cheers 1

Dealing with the media, especially in Canadian markets, brings so many extra mental hurdles for every player. You constantly have to stay on script and the slightest deviation can bring intense ridicule. Even when you don't give them anything to work with you can still end up in the headlines (ex. Hughes getting IVs). 

I'm a Canucks fan through and through and have been my whole life. When I daydream about life as an NHL player, playing for the Canucks honestly does not seem fun at all. Dealing with this often toxic media and fanbase constantly would drain all the enjoyment of simply playing hockey over time. Playing somewhere like Tampa Bay, LA, Anaheim, etc. sounds way more enjoyable. As a player I would detest the idea of someone not in the organization stepping into the locker room, which is a daily occurrence. I would get tired of the persisting circus pretty quick. 

I often wonder what would happen if we cut all game day media sessions for an entire season. Would players be more relaxed and energized? Would it translate to a couple extra points in the standings? Would other players be more interested in coming here? The players wouldn't do anything that wasn't strictly hockey related. Interviews on off days are fine and way more insightful than the game day stuff, which offers nothing of value 99% of the time. 

I have no idea if Drouin's absence is related to something similar or not and neither does anyone else. Just something that's been on my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Sorry to spam this again, but fast forward to 5 minutes in....  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/friedman-toll-gms-face-hearing-every-day-terrible/ 

Friedman goes on to say that French-speaking players would NOT want to play in Montreal no matter what.  That's why Danny Briere didn't work out in Montreal.  

Wouldn't be surprised if Drouin just had enough of the abuse that him and his friends and family are reading/hearing. 

As someone mentioned earlier, Joe Sakic had a chance to come to Vancouver but wanted no part of it.  This perpetual hate-train that goes on in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto just can't be good for the team or for the fans.  

5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The biggest knock on him

is the behemoth contract he dished out for Price. This is not aging well and will only look worse as time drags on. Hence his moves this past offseason to go for it. I like the additions he made in the offseason in Edmundson, Anderson, Perry and Toffoli. Plus if Price gets in the zone, he can win a series. He was active, agressive and seemed to make the Canadiens a contender on paper. Their window is now so kudos for going all in but Price's contract will limit MB and the Habs team going forward. 

As far as Drouin goes, I hope he has supports in place for wtv he is going thru. Social media can be cruel to say the least. But perhaps a change of scenery would do him some good as you suggested. Fanbases seem harsher with homegrown players for some odd reason.

If Toronto and MTL end up meeting in the 1st rnd, they will miss his creativity and offensive skill. They are going to need goal scorers and set up men to keep up with the Leafs fire power.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think if Drouin cleaned up his game too, that would help immensely. I think if Vancouver had Drouin (in Virtanen), fans would still complain about his defensive game.

But yeah, hometown boy not thriving in a hometown. Not everyone can play in such a heated market. I think it was Sakic who specifically avoided playing in his hometown.

And Kariya. It's not for everyone. 

• Like 1