The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Höglander 80 points or higher potential

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probaby has 50-60 potential more than likely. 

Unless he has Marchand development and turns into a star player in his late 20s. 

He's basically already producing at 50 points per 82 games (when you factor in recency bias and that he barely plays on the PP). 

To say 50 points is his POTENTIAL is massively underselling things IMO. It's saying that he'll barely get better, if at all.'

He's already producing at a fantastic pace playing primarily on even strength, and so 80 points down the line is absolutely attainable. Likely? No. But I don't think people would be that shocked based on what we know of Hog.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Grape said:

He's basically already producing at 50 points per 82 games (when you factor in recency bias and that he barely plays on the PP). 

To say 50 points is his POTENTIAL is massively underselling things IMO. It's saying that he'll barely get better, if at all.'

He's already producing at a fantastic pace playing primarily on even strength, and so 80 points down the line is absolutely attainable. Likely? No. But I don't think people would be that shocked based on what we know of Hog.

Not really when considering the small sample size of this being his first year in a 56 game year facing the same 6 teams in Canada only and already having played overseas to give him a head start. 

I’d like to see how he does in a regular 82 game schedule before proclaiming or presuming that he’s maybe capable of putting up 80 points since there isn’t enough evidence to do so. 

50-60 points is my presumption that he’s capable of producing but that’s only a guess given the lack of what we’ve seen under the limited context of this season. 

6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Did we draft a kid in the 2nd round that has the potential to be a 80+ point player? The Hög barely played much pp this year. Mighta been the steal of the 2019 draft. Whats his potential fellow crazy canucks.

like most players, depends who he plays with has a lot to do with it. However he's not done development so all we can do is hope we have another Burrows.. or better? hard to say.. he's pretty crafty with the puck but there's no need to throw a ceiling out there, but that being said, enter Podz... with Bo? ummm could be a lethal 2nd line BUT at this point who knows.. but I like the speed and tenacity of that line on paper, but what gets me going on it so much is that we need Hogs for that with Bo and Podz doing the heavy work.. one can hope..  

Just so we are clear, an 80 point season is 1st line production and not just any 1st line... we’re talking upper echelon of the league.  

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dunno if i was labeling…more of a “potentially can he do it?”

Does he have the type of game where he could do it? For sure. With the right linemates, top pp time, and a completely different offensive system and pp strategy.

The kid is a warrior. Battles hard. Has good hands. Can make plays and has a good shot.

With Petey and Boeser and a bottom 6 that can play tough minutes plus Horvats line losing guys like Pearson and Highmore and being an actual second scoring line to force other teams to spread their d out to keep both in check.

19 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wrong. Theres no cap limit to his potential 

Well using that logic, your thread is 100% useless.

Any player has fairly limitless potential... 

Hoglander isn’t likely to become a perennial 80 point guy.  Not many players do that.  Hoglander is a nice find, but he probably isn’t even going to be a Calder finalist... he isn’t an elite guy and has a low likelihood of ever being that.

Folks get themselves all worked up overhyping our players and then get disappointed when those players fail to lift up to those unrealistic expectations.

If we get a decent complementary top 6 winger who provides some secondary scoring... then we can do cartwheels.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Forget his points.  His kind of enthusiasm is infectious to other players on the team.  A keeper!:metal:

And he has a motor that doesn't quit. Even when he's knocked off the puck he's working his tail off to get it back. The great thing is I see the same type of drive in Rathbone. 

Last night he coughed up the puck and was the first guy back to try and get it back. I'm not looking at his numbers. I'm admiring the style of play.

Too much do our fans get all stats crazy. (Maybe this is a hockey pool thing?) Just sit back and enjoy. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

but he probably isn’t even going to be a Calder finalist... he isn’t an site guy and has a low likelihood of ever being that.

In a year the entire team should be nominated for the Masterton trophy, I'm ok with him not being nominated for the Calder:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&sort=points&seasonFrom=20202021&seasonTo=20202021&gameType=2&isRookie=1

That said, for rookies

Nils is  42 nd for ice time per game

18th for points per game

34th in power play points ; with 1 point

Tied for 16th with 1 game winning goal

7th leading rookie scorer.

I couldn't find a points per 60 minutes played, but it;s gotta be high, if he is the 7th leading scorer, with the 42th ice time.

• Cheers 2