The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Availability with GM JB and Head Coach Green (& Follow Up With JB on 650)

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Hell hath frozen over.......agree twice in one day!

That circumvention by TB was just the cherry on top of this ridiculous season.  If ever there was an asterisk year, this is it.

Dont worry. I am sure I will say something you strongly disagree with before the day is over and the universe will return to normal haha

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

It's all a big nothing burger in my opinion

Ok agreed.

All in all I like Benning and I’m glad he’s staying and we’re staying the course he’s put us on - I truly believe we will be in a much better spot already this coming season and moreso the following season.

I suppose I just wish we could describe 7 years of ufa signings with higher praise than ‘big nothing burger’.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, aGENT said:

Yeah... I'm getting a bit tired of the mindless 'Benning is bad at UFA's' trope that's trotted out regularly around here.

Roussel is right where his value should be, pre injury. Myers and Pearson, ditto. Edler's previous extension was fine as well. None of those are great bargains or horrible overpayments... They're simply fair. Hamonic was a steal at his current hit. Heck even the much maligned Sutter and Beagle deals... Sure they're a whopping :rolleyes: $1m 'over paid' but they're key, hard minute positions that we had to get/keep to a rebuilding team. Neither is a reason for cap woes.

Ferland I grant was risky AF to sign but his cap hit is fine and he'd look fantastic in our middle 6 if healthy.

Beyond Eriksson (the biggest reason for any of our issues), the majority of our cap woes come down to injuries (and the ridiculous Luongo cap recrapture). Plain and simple. That's not something any GM has control over, and it's also something (injuries) common across basically every team, across the league.

But Benning is 'bad at UFA's' :rolleyes:

Nothing looks bad if you have an excuse for everything lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Thank you.

Being an educator is a tough job around here but someone's gotta do it.

I'm willing to jump on that grenade for CDC.

Too bad your didn't actually do any of that.

At this point, I'm just enjoying all the hand wringing the JB hater's are doing.  Almost like the team is doomed to toil like the Oilers, who just got swept by the Jets (and we have more playoff wins/success than already).  Another poster mentioned that yes JB hasn't been great but he also hasn't been terrible.  He's been just "good" which is on the money.  I'm happy that they are staying the course as the effect of stability isn't tangible.  

Colorado gets brought up a lot as a comparison and I think it's a good one.  The one year they wanted Sakic gone because he "waited too long" to trade Duchene was a turning point for them, which turned into drafting Makar and Byram and they've been competitive ever since.  Patience and shrewd moves have been a recipe for success and you can look at Tampa, St. Louis and Washington as the past few Champions who have been knocking on the door for the past decade.  Progression isn't linear and it baffles me that some people don't understand that.  

• Vintage 3

anyone else feel like the longer we go without an announcement on the assistant coaches, the more likely there's going to be change there?

curious to see how that fleshes out. i wonder if they're waiting to talk to guys still in the playoffs? I also wonder if they could pry Manny back out of Toronto with a promotion to associate coach.

Edited by tas

4 hours ago, tas said:

anyone else feel like the longer we go without an announcement on the assistant coaches, the more likely there's going to be change there?

curious to see how that fleshes out. i wonder if they're waiting to talk to guys still in the playoffs? I also wonder if they could pry Manny back out of Toronto with a promotion to associate coach.

One can only hope. 

5 hours ago, tas said:

I dont think there will be changes other than possibly Clark leaving. I just think Benning hadnt even started discussions with them until the last few days.

I expect based on what he said they will all be back.

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think there will be changes other than possibly Clark leaving. I just think Benning hadnt even started discussions with them until the last few days.

I expect based on what he said they will all be back.

assistant coaches should be boiler plate. head coach got this much money and this much term, you guys get this fraction of that. 

6 minutes ago, tas said:

assistant coaches should be boiler plate. head coach got this much money and this much term, you guys get this fraction of that. 

Theoretically yes. There could be lots of reasons though. Maybe they are all signed except Clark and Benning doesnt want to set off the rumor mill by announcing all but him.