The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2021 Signing Proposals

Well, the offseason is upon us. In my personal opinion, I believe the best way to improve the team going into next season is through signings. I know Jimbo says nothing is out of the question this offseason in terms of improving the team, but I would really rather not have him make any more stupid trades and give away a bunch of draft picks in lopsided trades that he "thinks" will help. With that being said, I've looked at the list of UFAs this summer and here are there are some great options that the Canucks shouldn't have to severely overpay:

Top 9 options:

Alexander Wennberg

Mattias Janmark

Joel Armia

Blake Coleman

Erik Haula

Tomas Nosek

Mikael Granlund

Bottom 9 options:

Brock Mcginn

Barclay Goodrow

Cedric Paquette (for toughness)

Riley Sheahan (good faceoff guy and kills penalties)

Devon Shore

Drake Caggiula

Tobias Rieder

I also wouldn't mind seeing them bring back Sutter maybe on a 2 year deal at $1.5 mil/year. He brings a lot of intangibles to the team both in the locker room and on the ice

These are all guys who I believe can be had for a reasonable salary compared to their output and I think could be great value signings for the Canucks. If they can sign Petey and Hughes at reasonable salaries (maybe $8-9 mil per season) and they buy out Beagle, Eriksson, Virtanen, and possibly Roussel, I think they'll have some room to work with in order to sign 1 or 2 of the guys I listed (maybe 1 top 9 guy and a . If they buy out all those guys, it will save them about $8.5 mil by the looks of it. I know there will still be some creativity needed and there is also the expansion draft (hopefully Seattle takes Holtby), but smart signings hopefully will make up the majority of the changes/additions this summer. Either way, it should be interesting as always to see what trouble Benning gets himself into this summer. Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well its definitely a no for sutter even if cheap. Dude is slow and has zero playmaking ability, we really dont need that anymore on the team. Bring in wennberg and brandon saad.

Ditto, on Sutter and (imo) you can include Edler as well.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well its definitely a no for sutter even if cheap. Dude is slow and has zero playmaking ability, we really dont need that anymore on the team. Bring in wennberg and brandon saad.

Didn't your uncle Junior tell you didn't have the makings of a varsity athlete?:P

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Definitely no edler. Watch our defense turn it around with him not around anymore. 

Ditto; but good chance he gets signed for the very important nostalgic & great intangibles reasons - the Green resigning was cringy enough and an Edler resigning will mean more of the same.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I'm not sure I agree with ditching EITHER Sutter or Edler, necessarily. I will admit neither are the player they used to be, but I think they both bring leadership and stability to the younger guys - and despite their flaws, I wouldn't mind seeing them back cheap - depending on how it works with our team dynamic. In Sutter's case, I think he works best as a shutdown guy and if we are planning on playing Beagle next season, then I actually probably would prefer a more offensive-oriented guy in 3C. As for Edler, I just don't know if there is the space for him. With Rathbone looking like he will be a regular and the Juolevi project ongoing who obviously needs ice time, I feel Edler may indeed be gone, but more for lack of room than us not wanting what he can still bring.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Not to mention Sutter’s often injured status. One of the most often injured Canucks of this era.

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Not to mention Sutter’s often injured status. One of the most often injured Canucks of this era.

Yeah that also. Just tired of it, im done expecting getting anything out of him. Hes a very rich man from being a canuck. His contract is finally over and he can go get money from a different organization now from doing very little the last 5 years.

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm not sure I agree with ditching EITHER Sutter or Edler, necessarily. I will admit neither are the player they used to be, but I think they both bring leadership and stability to the younger guys - and despite their flaws, I wouldn't mind seeing them back cheap - depending on how it works with our team dynamic. In Sutter's case, I think he works best as a shutdown guy and if we are planning on playing Beagle next season, then I actually probably would prefer a more offensive-oriented guy in 3C. As for Edler, I just don't know if there is the space for him. With Rathbone looking like he will be a regular and the Juolevi project ongoing who obviously needs ice time, I feel Edler may indeed be gone, but more for lack of room than us not wanting what he can still bring.

I get it

Imo, as proven by the young core these mentoring type vets are not needed as much as most people think.  These young player just needs ice time and they will figure it out on how to win with there peers cause imo, most of these young players are already pro ready; and with the cap, most teams are getting younger - so good chance they will be playing among there peers anyways.  If a vet is needed then sign one on the cheap or do what the Laffs are doing by signing ex first line players to cheap & short term deals; that can actually mentor from experience and with the added bonus of not just being good at face offs.

If those two wants to stay they can sign them as coaches cause an older Edler and (more) injury prone Sutter will just be taking up cap and minutes.  In the end, (good chance) they will get sign - for nostalgic & great intangibles reasons (to probably appease the season ticket holders, who probably has meet these two).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Definitely no edler. Watch our defense turn it around with him not around anymore. 

Now that we know he's playing next year, I guarantee you he's back with the Canucks. Hopefully he'll take a super cheap 1 year deal

I know Sutter has been injured a lot in the past which is a valid argument against re-signing him but when he is in the lineup, he is invaluable. He wins faceoffs, kills penalties, plays tough minutes, and actually still can score goals (which we desperately need), albeit not at the rate people seem to want out of him. And apparently he's a great locker room guy. Much more than can be said for any of the other bottom 6 guys that have been in our lineup the last couple years (exception would be Motte who I'm a huge fan of).

• Cheers 1

Based on Jim Benning's passive comments about Edler. I have a feeling management is looking to move on from him. Edler's a legendary Canuck who will be on the Ring of Honour. That said, he's slowed down quite a bit and that slowdown showed up with the amount of reckless penalties he took this season. The good news is that he can stay in the Pacific Northwest and sign a contract with Seattle. It's only a couple of hour drive down from Vancouver so he can stay pretty close to Vancouver if he wants too.

And yeah, everyone who wants to re-sign Sutter needs to remember that they are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and there's better options out there. He's slow, he doesn't produce ANY offense as a C, and he's a good but not great defender. With Beagle still under contract, Sutter is redundant. Especially if Benning is serious about creating 3 scoring lines. SAY NO TO SUTTER.

I think Haula could be an interesting 3C though he's not that offensively gifted and isn't a good playmaker.

My gut says the Canucks should target Emil Pettersson as a potential 3C. He's been buried on good teams and just had an excellent season in the SHL. He's contributed well offensively everywhere he's been (SHL and AHL), just needs a chance. And he'll be cheap. He's also a UFA this summer as his rights lapse with the Coyotes in July.

• Cheers 1

Our top priority imo should be a 3C with some offensive upside, might be hard with our cap constraints though. Wennberg, Granlund, Danault will probably be a little out of our price range but I'd for sure take any of them if we could find a way to make it work. Erik Haula could be a good option on the cheaper side of things, maybe Nick Bjugstad who I think is in line for a pay cut since he isn't the top six guy Florida once envisioned him as.

(Likely) buying out Virtanen should give us some wiggle room so maybe we can get into that higher tier of 3C candidates. I'd much rather have Sutter on a cheap deal than Beagle, but we have what we have right now. Might as well let Beagle stay as 4C for another year and let his deal expire.