The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

Schmidt for Boston’s 2nd and debrusk be done with it your gonna get a lot more out of debrusk then Boston I can see a lot of Bennett in Florida happening he’s gonna play phsyical even on 3rd line you swing that extra 2nd for graves or zadarov 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah as much as I'd LOVE Seider, that's a big pay and DET has zero incentive to move him.

That would be like us trading Hughes for a veteran D man and another top 10 pick.

How does that help us in our build? It would basically be taking a step back in the build.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Its a suggestion jfc we dont need schmidt either if he plays like garbage again either.

Suggest better then. Try starting with player types we actually have a need for.

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

Schmidt for Boston’s 2nd and debrusk be done with it your gonna get a lot more out of debrusk then Boston I can see a lot of Bennett in Florida happening he’s gonna play phsyical even on 3rd line you swing that extra 2nd for graves or zadarov 

I'd we could land Carlo, even if we added, I'd be game. Otherwise not sure they have anything we really need (and would be willing give up).

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I mean who really knows? Could be? Maybe a combination of  his fit/personality AND the team being high on Rathbone. It would open up options for us, potentially clear/re-allocate cap etc.

What does Rathbone have to do with any of this? Nate is at his best on the right-side and neither are taking pp1 from Quinn.

FWIW the guy saying this is a complete hack with zero connections to the team. Hell even our own media is usually in the dark about trades and signings and is one of the reasons I think they crap on Benning so much.

Our own insiders have been wrong on almost everything team related, Quinn on an IV, Edler not coming back 2 years ago, Ian Clark not coming back etc etc, 

I'm not saying he's untouchable but this dude is not anyone who would get that info first if it did somehow get leaked.

• Cheers 3

Suggest better then. Try starting with player types we actually have a need for.

I'd we could land Carlo, even if we added, I'd be game. Otherwise not sure they have anything we really need (and would be willing give up).

Ya I don’t think they shed Carlo but I’d much rather have debrusk graves or zadarov then Schmidt for the price 

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah we do have a need for montour even if you agree with it or not. 27 yrs old and will make less than schmidt by close to 2 mill yeah thats what this team should do.

I like how they say “things haven’t worked out for Schmidt” 

News flash - nothing worked out for the Canucks this year. May as well put Petey on the block too for being injured. Didn’t work out for him either did it 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

News flash - nothing worked out for the Canucks this year. May as well put Petey on the block too for being injured. Didn’t work out for him either did it 

I mean we don’t know all the behind the scenes details. For all we know he has quietly requested a trade. 

At his age and with how close he was to a cup, maybe he’s looking to go to a contender. I wouldn’t blame him if he doesn’t want to waste his prime years on a team that looks like it’s at least a few years from cup contention in the best case scenario.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

What does Rathbone have to do with any of this?

Rathbone has a similar ceiling/player type IMO. If management is sold on him, they may elect to move up the timeline on that succession plan and reallocate that cap elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

FWIW the guy saying this is a complete hack with zero connections to the team. Hell even our own media is usually in the dark about trades and signings and is one of the reasons I think they crap on Benning so much.

Our own insiders have been wrong on almost everything team related, Quinn on an IV, Edler not coming back 2 years ago, Ian Clark not coming back etc etc, 

I'm not saying he's untouchable but this dude is not anyone who would get that info first if it did somehow get leaked.

Agreed!

2 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Ya I don’t think they shed Carlo but I’d much rather have debrusk graves or zadarov then Schmidt for the price 

I doubt it either, but I just don't see much else is want from BOS. 

I'd FAR rather keep Schmidt than swap him for Debrusk.

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah we do have a need for montour even if you agree with it or not. 27 yrs old and will make less than schmidt by close to 2 mill yeah thats what this team should do.

No, we don't. And no he won't. He'll be making about $1m less. For an interior player, of a type we don't need. What's the point?

Rathbone has a similar ceiling/player type IMO. If management is sold on him, they may elect to move up the timeline on that succession plan and reallocate that cap elsewhere.

Agreed!

No, we don't. And no he won't. He'll be making about $1m less. For an interior player, of a type we don't need. What's the point?

Maybe if schmidt was a good defender(hes not) good on the pp(dont need that from him) good on the PK (nope again) so why we paying this guy 6 mill again?

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Exactly. Some people are so impatient. Anyone who has watched Schmidt’s play from previous years would know that he’s better than what he showed last season. Talk of his personality rubbing people the wrong way makes me laugh. How boring of a team are we if the fun guy gets run out of town for showing some personality. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed!

Just like all people didn’t want Bennett he doesn’t pan out you let him walk next year with an extra 2nd we can go for graves or zadarov or sign oleksiak im taking combo of those 2 players for same price over Schmidt any day

7 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Just like all people didn’t want Bennett he doesn’t pan out you let him walk next year with an extra 2nd we can go for graves or zadarov or sign oleksiak im taking combo of those 2 players for same price over Schmidt any day

We can do better than Debrusk and a 2nd IMO on a gamble like that .

And I would have HAPPILY taken Bennett FWIW @Scottydzik

Edited by aGENT

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Maybe if schmidt was a good defender(hes not) good on the pp(dont need that from him) good on the PK (nope again) so why we paying this guy 6 mill again?

He was good in Vegas but we’re not Vegas.

We don’t have the puck possession monsters up front that make the defenders look good.

While it’s nice to have defenders that are good at a bit of everything, 6 million is a steep price to pay.

We need players that are great at a few things. Guys that are elite pkers or elite at shutting down opposition or elite at moving the puck up the ice (Hughes).

Schmidt not excelling at any of those things kind of makes him a support player. Can’t pay your support players that much.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

He, like almost our entire team, wasn't good last year. Just about every other year, he has been. 

Why do you want to pay Montour almost the same amount to do even less?

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Exactly. Some people are so impatient. Anyone who has watched Schmidt’s play from previous years would know that he’s better than what he showed last season. Talk of his personality rubbing people the wrong way makes me laugh. How boring of a team are we if the fun guy gets run out of town for showing some personality. 

I’m sure Virtanen is a fun guy.

Its great to have personality but you gotta get serious when it’s time to get serious.

Im not saying that’s the reason but I can see how he would have fit better in Vegas and Washington with their big personalities. Our guys seem like they take a more serious approach at work.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

The point is the 2nd can be used for similar deal as ardvindson 

We can still do better than that and use our own 2nd if we want something like an 'Arvidson deal'. I'm not giving away Schmidt for peanuts just because some teams might also be giving away ED exposures for peanuts. We don't need to move Schmidt until AFTER the ED.

• Cheers 1

We can still do better than that and use our own 2nd if we want something like an 'Arvidson deal'. I'm not giving away Schmidt for peanuts just because some teams might also be giving away ED exposures for peanuts. We don't need to move Schmidt until AFTER the ED.

So you don’t want to take advantage of someone else expansion problem with a 2nd ala Ryan graves and still have our 2nd to use to stock cupboard that is getting very thin cause I for damn sure know we’re a better team with Ryan graves and debrusk to Schmidt next year