The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

4 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

It's all about saving that 3.25 in cap space and getting out of the contract sooner. 

Montour isn't going to sign at the same $3.85m cap hit he had last year (which is only a $2m saving BTW). He's likely looking at something around $5m+, for an inferior player. What's the point?

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Montour isn't going to sign at the same $3.85m cap hit he had last year (which is only a $2m saving BTW). He's likely looking at something around $5m+, for an inferior player. What's the point?

Him and all the UFAs know they gonna be pinched this offseason cause of the flat cap. Nobody is offering montour 5 mill plus cmon.

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Last I checked they don't give you the cup f9r having the most cap space of all 32 teams. Heck the ones that are almost $20 million over the cap is most likely lift8ng the cup next week. 

What good is cap space when you don't have the players. You do that Schmidt trade 100 out of 100 times. Glad you ain't the GM. 

For sure.  In fact, you win the cup by being 18 mil over the cap

haha oops I should have read your whole post before replying :lol:

Edited by ilduce39

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Him and all the UFAs know they gonna be pinched this offseason cause of the flat cap. Nobody is offering montour 5 mill plus cmon.

He's likely going to get $4.5+ and isn't the player Schmidt is. It's a silly idea.

• Cheers 1

Our depth on D is awful, I'm not sure if trading one of our few NHL quality defensemen is good idea unless we somehow get a better dman back. Benning has been absolutely atrocious at signing/trading for defesemen (Sbisa, Gudbranson, MDZ, the list goes on and on) and bringing Schmidt is probably the best that he's been able to do in his tenure for our defense, sadly.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Our depth on D is awful, I'm not sure if trading one of our few NHL quality defensemen is good idea unless we somehow get a better dman back. Benning has been absolutely atrocious at signing/trading for defesemen (Sbisa, Gudbranson, MDZ, the list goes on and on) and bringing Schmidt is probably the best that he's been able to do in his tenure for our defense, sadly.

Well I would imagine he would be part of a trade for a defenseman.

Schmidt + 9thOA + Prospect for Jones is just one possible scenario.

4 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Schmidt + 9th oa + Lind for Seider??? :bigblush:

Not sure that deal makes sense for either side.

Seider is not nearly proven enough to pay that much.

Detroit doesn’t really have a need for Schmidt and would likely just need to get a Seider replacement with the 9th pick.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure that deal makes sense for either side.

Seider is not nearly proven enough to pay that much.

Detroit doesn’t really have a need for Schmidt and would likely just need to get a Seider replacement with the 9th pick.

Yeah as much as I'd LOVE Seider, that's a big pay and DET has zero incentive to move him.