The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

I'm honestly fine with dealing Schmidt to Boston for Debrusk and a 2nd. We get a youngish forward that's only 2 seasons removed from a 27 goal campaign and should fit snuggly into our lineup, a 2nd round pick (our last 2nd turned into Hoglander), and we free up some cap space. 

Anyone expecting a king's ransom is going to be disappointed. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm honestly fine with dealing Schmidt to Boston for Debrusk and a 2nd. We get a youngish forward that's only 2 seasons removed from a 27 goal campaign and should fit snuggly into our lineup, a 2nd round pick (our last 2nd turned into Hoglander), and we free up some cap space. 

This is the exact deal jim should be looking for this summer. Id rather keep myers over schmidt. I mean if we opened up that cap space we could use that 2nd to get a Dman from seattle or maybe a greenway from minny while still having our own 2nd. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

This is the exact deal jim should be looking for this summer. Id rather keep myers over schmidt. I mean if we opened up that cap space we could use that 2nd to get a Dman from seattle or maybe a greenway from minny while still having our own 2nd. 

Why would a team who needs more defensive depth move a top 4 D for a middle 6 right wing and a crapshoot pick? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Why would a team who needs more defensive depth move a top 4 D for a middle 6 right wing and a crapshoot pick? 

You find bargain depth dmen for a year and next offseason you go hard for one of the top dmen like parayuk or jones. If schmidt played like a 6 mill dollar dman it might be a different story.

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Who would be opposed to

Schmidt + Beagle for Duncan Keith + Kubalik

??

Well kubalik would be effin amazing to get. I mean i could also see them wanting holtby. So maybe

Schmidt+Holtby+Beagle

for 

Kubalik+subban+Keith 

we aint getting kubalik so its a nice thought anyways

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

The Blackhawks

Schmidt is a fantastic top 4 D with amazing numbers the year before last as a #2 D next to Theodore. Kubalik is a top 6 scoring winger. 

Benefits to both we also take the worse contract. Beagle might be on IR next year. It's a decent foundation to a trade imo. Maybe add a part or something.

Schmidt is 29 Kubalik is 25

Edited by Rush17

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Can't sell low on Schmidt now. He should have a bounce back season next year... 

most NHL clubs are sophisticated enough to look at more than one shortened season when evaluating a veteran.

Schmidt’s value now isn’t lower than it was when we acquired him.  The time to trade him though is after expansion when there will be half the league  looking to improve their top 4 and not just a few suitors who currently have an extra expansion protection slot available.

What's with these stupid comments about Schmidt? Quite a few people on here are exposing themselves as not knowing what the hell they are talking about with regards to Schmidt. He's a very good defenseman. FACT! Go cry more somewhere else if you don't like it.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

What's with these stupid comments about Schmidt? Quite a few people on here are exposing themselves as not knowing what the hell they are talking about with regards to Schmidt. He's a very good defenseman. FACT! Go cry more somewhere else if you don't like it.

How about 

image.gif.37d910948981b288be88e5c519533ec3.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah Morrissey sucks too right 

Does Q Hughes suck? Morrissey is the Jets Hughes but he has $&!# d partners...just like our team, so I was actually surprised to NOT see Hughes on that list but Mr. Sheltered we like 6m Meyers on the 3rd pair was nice and high on that list...

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Get back to me in two years, I'll be interested to see his goal production then too. Fairly reliable, I don't think TT is that good in his own end, but that's my opinion. Tanev and Markstrom both looked lost on that Flame roster as well. But, I wouldn't give either of them the deals they got in FA.

Go on a Lames forum board, Tanev was a loan bright spot and formed a good pair with Hanifin if I recall correctly. 

But oh ya, lets not sign TT cause in year 3 or 4 of his deal he may not be a 50pt plus player for us...Or lets not sign or offer Tanev a better deal than 4m per on a 2yr term becuase his 10 years of loyalty and warriorism wasn't appreciated by the fans or all his teammates...plus Hughes eluded to Tanev being a great help for his game since he came into the NHL from College, that means nothing when your stud offensive D vocally supports Tanev. Seemed to worked for Demko and Goalie coach Ian Clark getting a 5 year contract after Clark himself saying talks were non existant with the Canucks during the season about staying on board with them.

Okay, talk to you in...Never!

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boston isn't trading Carlo.  If they want Schmidt it would be to play WITH Carlo.  We'd have to look elsewhere for a partner for Hughes.  With Schmidt's salary off the books, Holtby and Virtanen bought out and a guy like Hakanpaa signed to a reasonable deal we should have enough cap space to go hard after either a UFA Dman or make a trade for one.

We shouldn't trade Schmidt unless we are getting a D like Carlo back, otherwise it makes no sense to get another Lefty unless the player has asked to be dealt then you get the best package you can for the player