The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sounds like Larsson is going to pull a Nuge and stay with Edmonton.

I wouldn't be upset to see Nate go, although I do think he's better than how Baumer used him. If thats not going to change then maybe we should be shopping him.

I wonder if NJ is a good landing spot for him? Subban is likely a buy out, and he'd be a good puck moving replacement for them. 

Maybe for the 60th oa? 

We have other options beyond Larsson, he's just an example.

Schmidt's worth more than 60th OA.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

maybe, but tbh I'd be happy with that given the cap space opening up. 

Gaffar is basically just a mouthpiece for the organization and only reports things that are absolutely true. Whether he actually ends up dealt or stays doesn’t disregard the validity to it. 

Larsson would be a good get - that’s a good suggestion.

Trading Schmidt instead of Myers is a huge mistake unless you only care about goals, height, and handedness. Schmidt is a better hockey player and is one season removed from being one of the best defensemen on a WCF team. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not many teams are going to want Schmidt at 6 mill.  We'd be lucky to get the 60th for him.   

We are weak af on the backend, but to me, Schmidt just doesnt fit all that well. 

This defense is missing that warrior, all out hustle, take a puck in the face for the team element that players like Tanev, Stetch brought to the club.  Aside from Myers, Hamonic and Edler, i don't see it with this group.   These are the character types we need to be drafting for the backend. 

Edited by EddieVedder

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Nah i doubt it. Maybe a 2nd?

Then keep him. I don’t see any reason why we  would move Schmidt unless we’re getting something of high value back. He’s a good player who (like most of our team) had a ruff season. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Last season and probably for the next two seasons at least,  Tanev >  Schmidt.  Tanev is currently a 1RD.  This is another pro-scouting mistake by Canucks management.  They misread the room again.  Cap space is money!  Many thought a third round pick was a good deal to pick up Schmidt. I wouldn't have made the move, many on CDS wouldn't have made the move, but we aren't pro-scouts employed by the team.  

Now I'm wondering if giving up another 3rd round pick would be enough to give up to trade his contract.  Like selling a stock that has cost you money.  Sure it may have some upside, but you only get so many to buy and hold.  I think they trade Scmidt for a contract player like OEL.  I'd rather they trade him for cap space.           

• RoughGame 1

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

Then keep him. I don’t see any reason why we  would move Schmidt unless we’re getting something of high value back. He’s a good player who (like most of our team) had a ruff season. 

EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif?

8 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Last season and probably for the next two seasons at least,  Tanev >  Schmidt.  Tanev is currently a 1RD.  This is another pro-scouting mistake by Canucks management.  They misread the room again.  Cap space is money!  Many thought a third round pick was a good deal to pick up Schmidt. I wouldn't have made the move, many on CDS wouldn't have made the move, but we aren't pro-scouts employed by the team.  

Now I'm wondering if giving up another 3rd round pick would be enough to give up to trade his contract.  Like selling a stock that has cost you money.  Sure it may have some upside, but you only get so many to buy and hold.  I think they trade Scmidt for a contract player like OEL.  I'd rather they trade him for cap space.           

Agreed. 

However, some on this board are still trying to convince themselves that Schmidt is a legit #2. 

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Watever give me a 2nd and use the money to get montour and sign jouveli and another RFA that we need signed.

Montour is not remotely the D we're looking for...This like the yahoos who keep suggesting targeting Dumba...like are you even paying attention?! May as well just keep Schmidt.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1