The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

Just now, Scottydzik said:

So you don’t want to take advantage of someone else expansion problem with a 2nd ala Ryan graves and still have our 2nd to use to stock cupboard that is getting very thin cause I for damn sure know we’re a better team with Ryan graves and debrusk to Schmidt next year 

Sure! Just not say the cost of Schmidt. That's just silly. You don't sell Schmidt for peanuts ahead of the ED when you can get a legit return for him after it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Your not getting Ryan graves after the expansion you need make the move now he is a monster on skates amazingly defensively he makes cale makar who he is he hides a ton of his mistakes Benning should absolutely be on way with Colorado 

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m sure Virtanen is a fun guy.

Its great to have personality but you gotta get serious when it’s time to get serious.

Im not saying that’s the reason but I can see how he would have fit better in Vegas and Washington with their big personalities. Our guys seem like they take a more serious approach at work.

Can’t tell if you’re making a direct comparison to Jake but that’s a bit off base. I understand you gotta be professional but our team is in serious need of some personality, a swagger of sorts.

If there’s one thing I hate about this sport it’s that the players are generally super boring. The generic hockey phrases make me cringe soooooo hard. 

2 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Your not getting Ryan graves after the expansion you need make the move now he is a monster on skates amazingly defensively he makes cale makar who he is he hides a ton of his mistakes Benning should absolutely be on way with Colorado 

Who says you wait to get a Graves (or Mayfield or Jensen etc)? You do that move ahead of the ED, absolutely.

The whole point of this is to maximize asset value. We have the ability to trade for and protect a D, ahead of the ED, for peanuts. Then after the ED trade Schmidt for an ACTUAL return.

Why would you move him for peanuts as the alternative?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

The point was that you don’t have to use Schmidt on that particular deal… they can be different deals, one before and one after.

That is literally how we can weaponize how bad our roster is and the extra expansion slots we have.  Pick up guys before, and trade others after.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He was good in Vegas but we’re not Vegas.

We don’t have the puck possession monsters up front that make the defenders look good.

While it’s nice to have defenders that are good at a bit of everything, 6 million is a steep price to pay.

We need players that are great at a few things. Guys that are elite pkers or elite at shutting down opposition or elite at moving the puck up the ice (Hughes).

Schmidt not excelling at any of those things kind of makes him a support player. Can’t pay your support players that much.

This is literally what i was trying to say lol. Hes one of the very few assets that we can maybe move that could both help us cap wise and get a return for. We have to explore it at the very least

1 minute ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Can’t tell if you’re making a direct comparison to Jake but that’s a bit off base. I understand you gotta be professional but our team is in serious need of some personality, a swagger of sorts.

If there’s one thing I hate about this sport it’s that the players are generally super boring. The generic hockey phrases make me cringe soooooo hard. 

I agree that players can be boring and it was a breath of fresh air to have a guy like him speaking to the media.

Im just saying I could see how he wouldn’t be a fit in our locker room.

Seems to be full of more serious quiet guys; whereas Washington and Vegas had personalities like Ovie, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Marchassault, Stone, Reaves and MAF.

Maybe he’d rather go back to a team like that.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He, like almost our entire team, wasn't good last year. Just about every other year, he has been. 

Why do you want to pay Montour almost the same amount to do even less?

Why do you wanna pay schmidt 1-2 mill more for the same or a lil more? Montour is getting 4-4.5 max this summer.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

This is literally what i was trying to say lol. Hes one of the very few assets that we can maybe move that could both help us cap wise and get a return for. We have to explore it at the very least

I'm not opposed to moving Schmidt, I'm opposed to moving him for things we don't need or unnecessarily cheaply for things like a 2nd.

We can do FAR better.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

The point was that you don’t have to use Schmidt on that particular deal… they can be different deals, one before and one after.

That is literally how we can weaponize how bad our roster is and the extra expansion slots we have.  Pick up guys before, and trade others after.

I'm actually baffled how this isn't obvious... WHY IS THIS EVEN A DEBATE?! :frantic:

:lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not opposed to moving Schmidt, I'm opposed to moving him for things we don't need or unnecessarily cheaply for things like a 2nd.

We can do FAR better.

Its not the player that i think isnt worth more but someone taking his 6 mill for 4 more years which is the hard part in trading him.

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Its not the player that i think isnt worth more but someone taking his 6 mill for 4 more years which is the hard part in trading him.

THEY CAN STILL DO THAT, FOR A BETTER RETURN, AFTER THE ED.

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm actually baffled how this isn't obvious... WHY IS THIS EVEN A DEBATE?! :frantic:

:lol:

We have exactly one D in Schmidt who “needs” to be protected or would definitely get picked by Seattle.  Myers and Juolevi are worth protecting if we have extra slots… but could easily be upgraded on with better D worth protecting.  Seattle will have more than 8 D available to them that are better values than Myers or Juolevi.

We could potentially add two D pre expansion for less than market value… and then trade the exact same two guys after expansion for a better return once a bunch of teams suddenly have cap space and the need to replace players take from them in expansion.  It isn’t just going to be the 6-10 teams that had a top 4D taken… it will also be teams that would love to upgrade their defence but couldn’t currently afford it under the cap.  If they lose a forward that has a decent cap hit, they can reallocate those cap dollars to improving their defence.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Right you are Ken! ::D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING WEVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT??

About not trading Schmidt, for peanuts, or for pieces we don't need, ahead of the ED, when there's zero need to?

Oh nothing....:picard:

Maybe @Provost can draw you a picture or something...

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We can trade him after the ED and before the draft. I dont give a crap. 

I personally believe that there's a solid chance we trade for a D before ED to take advantage of other teams protection problems. Myers' contract was always designed so he could be exposed, and I think the organization views that contract as neutral, meaning if Seattle takes him he can be replaced via trade or FA but if they don't there's no harm in keeping him.

I don't think OJ will be exposed (too much time invested and still lots of potential and will sign a reasonable contract), but trading for a quality D and exposing Myers seems like an easy way for a much needed upgrade IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1