The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Discusion - Emil Pettersson

Bit of  a long shot but say 

Emil Pettersson just put up 22 g 26 a for 48 p in 52 games in the SHL 

what if were to sign him and bring him over then he magically starts playing awesome hockey with his brother and Hoglander. We could have a really cheap top 6 center option which would allow Miller to go third line C and allow us to save $$

Then use that money for a free agent to play with Hughes 

I think playing with Hogs and his brother Elias would bring out the best in him forcing him to be a faster player and improve all the areas he needs to so that he can be on that line. I think it would also bring out the best in Elias 

Hoglander Emil Pettersson Elias Pettersson 

Pearson Horvat Boeser 
Highmore Miller Podkolzin

Motte Beagle Hawryluk 

Pettersson MacEwan 

Hughes Barrie 

Edler Schmidt 

Rathbone Hamonic  

• Cheers 1

Emil is not a 1C in the NHL. He's a depth piece with the potential to be the 3C next season. Emil and Elias are not Sedins 2.0. I do like Emil and think he'd be a really savvy, cheap signing.

Barrie is also a big fat no. We already have a better version of Barrie and his name is Rathbone. And also Hughes. The Canucks will only tolerate two "short" defensemen and there names are Quinn Hughes and Jack Rathbone. Barrie probably returns to Edmonton.

Edited by Quantum
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Bit of  a long shot but say 

Emil Pettersson just put up 22 g 26 a for 48 p in 52 games in the SHL 

what if were to sign him and bring him over then he magically starts playing awesome hockey with his brother and Hoglander. We could have a really cheap top 6 center option which would allow Miller to go third line C and allow us to save $$

Then use that money for a free agent to play with Hughes 

I think playing with Hogs and his brother Elias would bring out the best in him forcing him to be a faster player and improve all the areas he needs to so that he can be on that line. I think it would also bring out the best in Elias 

Hoglander Emil Pettersson Elias Pettersson 

Pearson Horvat Boeser 
Highmore Miller Podkolzin

Motte Beagle Hawryluk 

Pettersson MacEwan 

Hughes Barrie 

Edler Schmidt 

Rathbone Hamonic  

His team also won the SHL championship this year where he scored 2g + 5a in 14 games

371875F5-0703-4676-8A4A-6D6DACEF36D1.jpeg

• Cheers 1

Interesting take... only concern about this would be in case it doesn't work out. Could it influence Peteys general feelings towards the Canucks in a negative way?

Think they both would love to at least try to play together, so sure why not...

• Cheers 1

Maybe a chance but the Canucks don't have much in the way of extra contract room to take many gambles. They need a checking centerman, not sure Emil is a good fit at 3C and he would have some serious competition for the top 6

Big no to Barie...... Canucks would become the softest team in the league.

• Cheers 2

I'd give him a shot if he wants to take minimum 1 year deal and is able to play winger position where he can be utilized as an offensive top 9 forward.

Perhaps more of a reason to get a player like Reinhart whom can play Center or RW so can see how things turn out between the two down that middle. Having Podz on the wing to fetch pucks could be interesting.

I would be open to giving Emil Pettersson a chance if management feels like he's good enough. 

But he's no 1st centre - that's Elias' place to lose. 

I'd be open to see if Emil could possibly win the third line centre position. If not, maybe Sutter (at a cheap contract) fill in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Interesting take... only concern about this would be in case it doesn't work out. Could it influence Peteys general feelings towards the Canucks in a negative way?

Think they both would love to at least try to play together, so sure why not...

That's always the risk. But I think Elias probably knows this is a business at the end of the day...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

That's always the risk. But I think Elias probably knows this is a business at the end of the day...

True... but family is family... last thing you wanna do is alienate an alien.... :o:P

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1