The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Ummm yeah gotta be a real

clown to think dobson is or will be better than quinn.

Nothing wrong with Noah Dobson. 6'4'/200 RHD  and a plus/even  player. QH is 5'10"/180 and a minus player -24. Both will improve. The advantage Dobson has is he's coached by Trotz

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Nothing wrong with Noah Dobson. 6'4'/200 RHD  and a plus/even  player. QH is 5'10"/180 and a minus player -24. Both will improve. The advantage Dobson has is he's coached by Trotz

And why did u show me their size and weight and plus minus?

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Quite often these are attributes that come into question for D'men, can he PK can he defend a clean sheet.. does the goalie like the size and strength helping him.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

He was an enigma his draft year too.   In the end his career is close to forfeit now, but he was awfully close to passing the bust line without Covid and his issues.   500 games 4-6.     Could have become a Torres type minus the dirty hits.   Nothing at all different then Chris Phillips going first overall and playing well over 1000 games.   Not what your hoping for, but not a bust either.   All considered, yes he's now officially a bust for the Canucks.   We won't be able to trade him.   And big doubts Seattle will take him either.    Sad for a lot a reasons really,  mercurial player and such a waste.      At least we righted the boat. 

I think ray ferraro said on draft day that he expected Jake to top out at a Raffi Torres level player. Oh well. 

31 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Quite often these are attributes that come into question for D'men, can he PK can he defend a clean sheet.. does the goalie like the size and strength helping him.

Sorry but i like the defenseman that almost won the calder and broke every rookie record in the playoffs his rookie year. His size didnt seem to matter then 

16 minutes ago, austy said:

What do you guys think of Scott morrow? I've only watched a few vids but his skating seems really impressive. 

His skating and offense is very impressive. His defense and decision making was suspect even at a vastly inferior level playing in prep last year. Hard player to predict. At a top 10 it's a hard no from me, as late round 1st he would be great pick. If he's somehow around at our pick in the second we take him and run.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We have barely anything worthwhile for center prospects tho.

Going by positional need is like saying we don't need to draft another patty kane when he is avail because we need to draft a center and go for Sutter for example lol. Go for the best player available.

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

His skating and offense is very impressive. His defense and decision making was suspect even at a vastly inferior level playing in prep last year. Hard player to predict. At a top 10 it's a hard no from me, as late round 1st he would be great pick. If he's somehow around at our pick in the second we take him and run.

is that like a josh ho-sang? hopefully without the character issues?

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Yeah I see what you mean about the validity of assessing him against high school competition. I don't know enough about skating to project him going forward but he does look to be quinn in some of those vids. 

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agree with that, also that Johnson is more likely to pan out as an LW than a C.  We need a lot of different things, though, so BPA (except for LD perhaps).  Johnson with Horvat would be an interesting combo.

Kent with Petey would be so dynamic and exciting paired with a rugged winger that can create space.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Sure, that's fair.  Looks to me like he has plenty of compete, but that can change at a higher level of competition where he can't pull off the same moves and gets pushed around a bit more.  Love his skating though and expect it will translate.

MacT on the other hand has skating issues which can hold him back in NHL

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Saw him but he aint quick, elusive, shifty as Hughes. Kinda meh little bit quick but decision making with the puck is bit slow compared to his feet.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Could size not be considered part of a prospect's skill-set?  

Also knowing when to pass and not dangle forever, eventually losing the puck. He has a ton of flash, but sometimes less is more. He's like a wild pony the Canucks are going to spend years trying to break in and teach. His game may not translate to the NHL. No thanks to Johnson.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

So a guy like Mac T, who's built like Horvat, could potentially be able to use his skill for more effectively in the NHL, than a much lighter player - like Johnson.  I think the team needs to focus on skill, but compete must be factored in too.  If Johnson has Petey's compete (on and off the ice) then that's a good pick.  But if he lacks at all in his commitment to compete, then that's a red flag - regardless of puck skills.  

Size/Weight has nothing to do with compete. Lack of size doesnt mean lack of compete. Who cares if Johnson is lighter he is known to be tenacious off the puck aswell from scouts. In fact even more so then MacT who has tendency to disappear and pop back up with a goal kinda like Boeser. Rather have a Kane/Petey type than a O'Reilly type anyday. We have only have two gamebreakers Petey and Hughes.

Edited by PositionOfPower

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Ummm yeah gotta be a real

clown to think dobson is or will be better than quinn.

Quinn only plays one end of the ice. 
Points are great, but a defensemen is supposed to play defence.  
Im not saying Dobson is a better player, but he is a better dman. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Because those are important factors when judging a dmans attributes. 

33 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sorry but i like the defenseman that almost won the calder and broke every rookie record in the playoffs his rookie year. His size didnt seem to matter then 

I like a dman that can put up points AND keep the puck out of the net.  

I love Hughes. He is fantastic, but let’s be honest.   He is a horrible dman.   When it comes to actually playing defence, he sucks.  

• RoughGame 1