The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

Some seem to be comparing Petey to Johnson.  I think that the only way they compare is size.

Petey is a very complete player. He makes everyone around him better.  He plays the defensive side of the game as well as the offensive side.

Johnson is very skilled but has huge deficiencies with most of his game.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Petey also been getting hurt every year, something similar to how Brock started his career. Need players to play with our top end talent and not allow the cheap shots to happen. Will just lead to worse stuff especially when the refs call less during the post season and the whistle goes away more and more with every round you advance.

I just don't want a repeat of 2011 down the road and see our best players get pushed around and nobody do a damn thing about it...

McTavish does look like Olgie Ogilthorpe  from Slap Shot lol.   I agree we do need bigger bodies that can survive a long playoff grind too.   Need the pure game breaking skill as well which both EP and BB have some of for sure.   Drafting at 9 we likely will have maybe two guys worth looking at.    And won't really know which one's until 8th is called.   McTavish interests me more of the two...hopefully a better option will slip to us (LH or Clarke)..  

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

McTavish does look like Olgie Ogilthorpe  from Slap Shot lol.   I agree we do need bigger bodies that can survive a long playoff grind too.   Need the pure game breaking skill as well which both EP and BB have some of for sure.   Drafting at 9 we likely will have maybe two guys worth looking at.    And won't really know which one's until 8th is called.   McTavish interests me more of the two...hopefully a better option will slip to us (LH or Clarke)..  

I bet Benning has more than two choices to pick from.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

I thought I heard Benning say they had 9 guys they liked.  I guess he takes the highest ranked guy left on his list.  Plus, I think it will be a guy who Benning saw play at the U18.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Maybe.   If his list is 9 long, the majority of those guys will be gone by 9, possibly 8 of them.    It's pretty clear to me reading about these prospects, that there are two tiers in the top ten.   I suppose they might be interested in someone who's ranked 10-12.   But from reading THNs draft preview, it looks like there is a third tier that starts right at 10 as well.   

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I thought I heard Benning say they had 9 guys they liked.  I guess he takes the highest ranked guy left on his list.  Plus, I think it will be a guy who Benning saw play at the U18.

Yes exactly.   The best possible situation for us is a higher level guy slips to us again like it did with Podz.   That's a LH, Clarke, Bernier type.   Johnson, McTavish aren't at the same level (yet), but likely be the guys left for us.  McTavish ISS actually is pretty high on, 5  so hope he's around, others have him right around where we pick.   Given Wallstedt is quite likely going in the top ten, it would mean one player slips to us.   

Who that is is hard to say.  Johnson, McTavish and Lucius are the guys likely left when it's our turn but you just never do know with these things, they don't usually go the way anyone predicts they will.    If we are lucky two teams pick off board ahead of us and then we'd have three to choose from, i'm cautiously optimistic, that two of those 9 guys will be there at 9. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes exactly.   The best possible situation for us is a higher level guy slips to us again like it did with Podz.   That's a LH, Clarke, Bernier type.   Johnson, McTavish aren't at the same level (yet), but likely be the guys left for us.  McTavish ISS actually is pretty high on, 5  so hope he's around, others have him right around where we pick.   Given Wallstedt is quite likely going in the top ten, it would mean one player slips to us.   

Who that is is hard to say.  Johnson, McTavish and Lucius are the guys likely left when it's our turn but you just never do know with these things, they don't usually go the way anyone predicts they will.    If we are lucky two teams pick off board ahead of us and then we'd have three to choose from, i'm cautiously optimistic, that two of those 9 guys will be there at 9. 

I’m also wondering who the faller from the top five might be?  I think you’re bang on, and we get another really good prospect - like Pods - in that spot.  

Edited by Alflives

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering who the faller from the top five might be?

Hope it's Clarke although he's all over the place ranking wise including close to where we pick.    Don't think we'd be so lucky though.   Feel this time we just will have to go with whatever the BPA is on JB list.    McTavish is a good consolation prize though.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

best thing that could happen for the Canucks is that Mason Mc Tavish falls to 9, because he is the type of player the Canucks desperaterly need. There are a lot of users and people out there talking about Mc Tavish being a Center. That's true, but the best thing is, that he can play as a left winger as well. That's exactly the role I can envision for Mc Tavish on a Canucks team.

Here is some very interesting info from a HF Board user. His user name on HF Boards is "Hinterland" and he is from Switzerland and watched Mc Tavish during his time with Olten (Swiss Div. 2).

I don't think McTavish offers more grit than Beniers but he does have much better hands, allowing him to have one of the best shots of this years draft and to be a master at deflecting shots at a very young age already. Again, his hand eye coordination is fantastic and reminds me a lot of Joe Pavelski. McTavish also has a great hockey IQ, allowing him to play any forward position or any style. I haven't watched a lot of McTavish prior to his stint over in Switzerland but he seemed to be more of a shooter. Then in Olten they put him at Center and he does drive play of his line pretty much from his first shift. When they started to play him with the imports, immediately he was able to adjust to his new role of playing the wing next to two possession players. Instantly, he started scoring goals from the slot off deflections or rebounds as well as being efficient as a screen. Then he goes to the WJC where he was more of a play driver again. Takes a lot of skill and hockey IQ to be able to learn and adjust this quickly. Whatever coaches ask him to do he brings it. Instantly and consistently. Over in Switzerland as well as at the World Juniors he hardly took a shift off. I think I saw maybe one or two giveaways all year long.

There's still lots of room for improvement and his skating is never gonna be elite but to me he's by far the best NA forward. I'd probably take Eklund and the top3 defenders over McTavish though and I could see a desperate team take Wallstedt inside the top5 as well.

The bad thing is that in my opinion there is only a remote chance that Mc Tavish will actually fall to 9, because there are only two Centers in the top 10 in this years draft: Matt Benier and Mason Mc Tavish. I am 100% sure that Columbus will pick the best available center at 5, because Kekalainen knows that he can't trade for a 1C or 2C. Those 1C and 2C are neither available at the trade market nor in  free agency. Kekalainen has to draft a center. CBJ will take Matt Benier if he's there at 5, otherwise they will take Mason Mc Tavish.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Another guy who I hope may fall to us is Simon Edvinsson. He looks like a young Matthias Ohlund to me. He’d be a great replacement for the physicality we’re losing when Alex Edler moves on.

Edvinsson at 9 would be a steal and a miracle, but exactly what we need. Second choice is Clarke, but he might also be gone by then.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sassbs said:

This years draft will be like drafting in the  NHL games.  Just blindly picking 

I’m sure beyond the media and fans arrogant negligence, that NHL teams got this.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hope it's Clarke although he's all over the place ranking wise including close to where we pick.    Don't think we'd be so lucky though.   Feel this time we just will have to go with whatever the BPA is on JB list.    McTavish is a good consolation prize though.   

Who are the guys we would be hopeful to fall to us?  Like you say there is little chance for guys like Clarke.  I think McTavish’s size combined with his skill, and motor will have him go before we pick too.  Likely will be a guy with some obvious question marks, I guess.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who are the guys we would be hopeful to fall to us?  Like you say there is little chance for guys like Clarke.  I think McTavish’s size combined with his skill, and motor will have him go before we pick too.  Likely will be a guy with some obvious question marks, I guess.

I don't think we will see a guy fall to us this year like we did with Podz.   Feel the sample size is so slim that GMs won't be as willing to go off board and take a prospect in the teens or even early 20's like we've seen our last two drafts (not including last year - the two before that). Seider and two many vowels over in MTL for example.   What we probably will see is Detroit take Wallstedt, and possibly be willing to trade down to get him.   That could provide us an opportunity to trade up because nobody else needs goalies like they do around where we pick  Detroit picks  but OTT who's one after us.    So see one player ranked outside of the top ten creating a ripple affect to us.    Clarke is ranked 7 by THN and 4 by ISS (international scouting services), plus given he's a RHD that every team needs these days (there are 50% less of them in the league then LHD's),  it would be a miracle to see him slip to us.   Eklund is the guy i see slipping on some lists ... he's a LW and ranked 4-10 on most lists.    Small guy but skilled.  Marner/Aho are his best case scenario comps.   I'd rather take

McTavish still.    Beniers or Clarke would be a coupe and minor miracle at 9.   McTavish is still a good pick in his own right so hope we end up with one of these guys.    

I suppose we could trade up to Detroit at 6 and get someone better suited to what we need.    If Clarke is still on the board i'd do that.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I don't think we will see a guy fall to us this year like we did with Podz.   Feel the sample size is so slim that GMs won't be as willing to go off board and take a prospect in the teens or even early 20's like we've seen our last two drafts (not including last year - the two before that). Seider and two many vowels over in MTL for example.   What we probably will see is Detroit take Wallstedt, and possibly be willing to trade down to get him.   That could provide us an opportunity to trade up because nobody else needs goalies like they do around where we pick  Detroit picks  but OTT who's one after us.    So see one player ranked outside of the top ten creating a ripple affect to us.    Clarke is ranked 7 by THN and 4 by ISS (international scouting services), plus given he's a RHD that every team needs these days (there are 50% less of them in the league then LHD's),  it would be a miracle to see him slip to us.   Eklund is the guy i see slipping on some lists ... he's a LW and ranked 4-10 on most lists.    Small guy but skilled.  Marner/Aho are his best case scenario comps.   I'd rather take

McTavish still.    Beniers or Clarke would be a coupe and minor miracle at 9.   McTavish is still a good pick in his own right so hope we end up with one of these guys.    

I suppose we could trade up to Detroit at 6 and get someone better suited to what we need.    If Clarke is still on the board i'd do that.  

I like hearing the Canucks value compete so high.  No matter who we select he will work his hardest off the ice to be his best on the ice.  I think of our first rounders only Jake lacks that inner compete.  And Benning likely corrected that in our scouts ASAP.  No more guys who will not compete to be their best.  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I like hearing the Canucks value compete so high.  No matter who we select he will work his hardest off the ice to be his best on the ice.  I think of our first rounders only Jake lacks that inner compete.  And Benning likely corrected that in our scouts ASAP.  No more guys who will not compete to be their best.  

yup there was a purge of guys in the scoring dept after that. Our usual negative ninny media talking heads had us never picking well again :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1