The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Muller as Canucks Assistant Coach?

Rate this topic

Provost

20 minutes ago, J-P said:

Can we still whine about Baumer then? ;-)

What I said is that hiring Muller would be a bonus if it lead to the end of all the dwelling on / crabbing about Brown.

You can do whatever you like - that post did not tell people to stop whining.

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Apparently Brad Shaw is the other name associated with the Canucks.

It was announced last month that Shaw wouldn’t be returning to Columbus, so he’s available.

He’s a 23 year veteran coach, 18 spent in the NHL as either an assistant or associate, and he played around 1000 games as a defenseman, split between the NHL, AHL, and IHL.

If hired, Shaw would obviously be the Baumgartner replacement.

EDIT: Muller and Shaw also worked on the same coaching staff in St. Louis, from 2014-16, under Hitchcock.

Hiring people with experience in their jobs... that would mark a new strategy for the team...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If memory serves, Muller also coached the power play in St. Louis, which was probably top-5 in the league in the two seasons that he was there (2014-16).

Plus the 2019 WC, where Canada won Silver, and had the top power play through the tournament (IIRC Muller was the coach tasked with running it).

He has a pretty good reputation, and obviously a wealth of experience, both as a player and a coach.

Of course, every coach eventually fails, for a variety of reasons (often roster related), and ultimately gets fired. There’s just a shelf life, it seems, with NHL coaches, and good coaches can get bad results, or things just grow stale, even when they’re doing their jobs well.

I think Muller, who’s known as a “player’s coach,” in the modern sense, could actually fit in pretty well on a Travis Green staff. He’d probably step in as Green’s #2, possibly even in an associate coach role, and likely handling the forwards and the power play. He would clearly be a Brown replacement (can’t really see how they’d both fit on a staff), but might also replace a little bit of what we lost when Malhotra moved on. Muller has the reputation of being very approachable, an open communicator, and good at working with younger players.

And I think Green and Muller probably even played together on the Islanders during the mid ‘90s, so there might already be a relationship there.

very good points as usual Sid. There's a lot to like bringing him in here. 

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Apparently Brad Shaw is the other name associated with the Canucks.

It was announced last month that Shaw wouldn’t be returning to Columbus, so he’s available.

He’s a 23 year veteran coach, 18 spent in the NHL as either an assistant or associate, and he played around 1000 games as a defenseman, split between the NHL, AHL, and IHL.

If hired, Shaw would obviously be the Baumgartner replacement.

EDIT: Muller and Shaw also worked on the same coaching staff in St. Louis, from 2014-16, under Hitchcock.

well, if nothing else it tells us where they are trying to improve the staff. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

well, if nothing else it tells us where they are trying to improve the staff. 

I would seriously question whether we were watching the same team as Benning if he didn’t think the D was a mess this year.

This trend has been happening for years you can’t just blame it on the weird season.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Any one could tell me what are the roles of Sedins in the future Canucks organization?

the repots are they want to start from the ground up learning the business side, including Abby. Which is great, having them step in as co-presidents or something like that now before they know how to run things could be a disaster. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the repots are they want to start from the ground up learning the business side, including Abby. Which is great, having them step in as co-presidents or something like that now before they know how to run things could be a disaster. 

The twins are just too smart to take those roles this early, if indeed they were offered. Especially after seeing what happened with Linden. But even without that reminder, these are guys who want to earn it, learn the business from the ground up, and make sure that if and when they are handed the keys to running a team, it’s a long term gig, and one where they are going to be successful, as in building a Cup contender/winner, and not just being window dressing or a shield for ownership.

• Cheers 4
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Any one could tell me what are the roles of Sedins in the future Canucks organization?

It hasn’t been announced... it was suggested it might start as player development and maybe take the same kind of path as Ryan Johnson.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean Shaw has the experience but I would hope for an assistant with a little better track record of winning as either a coach or player.

Columbus went from missing the playoffs all the time to being a playoff team under Torts and Shaw, until this season. They'd still be relevant if the city was more desirable to players. Shaw does good work, but the teams he is on are usually bad or just don't have the power to keep talented players long like CBJ. I'd take Shaw in a heartbeat.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was gonna get into Columbus next, but you’ve saved me the time. ;) 

Also, those years with the Jackets add an Ian Clark connection.

I don’t know their relationship, but past familiarity between the goaltending and defence coaches could be a good thing, if they worked well together.

Seems like these two candidates have good familiarity with each other, and with some of the existing coaches (Green, Clark, if extended) which would be bonus, for the new staff to hit the ground running (if these guys are actually hired).

All good points.

Wasnt meant to be a dig at him, I was just hoping with that much experience he would have had more playoff wins or even a championship as a coach or player.

But I realize that’s not necessarily on him more on the situations he was in. That being said Muller has that experience as a player so maybe he can bring something in that regard.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Shaw coached the defence and PK in St. Louis.

From 2012-16, the four years when he was associate coach behind Hitchcock, the Blues had the NHL’s 3rd highest winning percentage, 2nd lowest goals against, and the #1 PK%.

He also helped develop Dmen like Pietrangelo and Parayko.

:bigblush:

• Huggy Bear 1

Really liking what I’m seeing potentially develop. If Muller and Shaw are brought in to replace Brown and Baumgartner, this bodes extremely well for the team next season. Green is a good coach who I believe needs better assistants to take the Canucks further. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1