The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Muller as Canucks Assistant Coach?

Rate this topic

Provost

Great move in my opinion. This team could really use another veteran coach for Green to bounce ideas off / keep him accountable / fine-tune team strategies. I think Green is a decent coach but like most he's not perfect and he could use some help to round out our future direction.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So, wait a minute wait a minute... does this mean we might finally see the end to the "drop-pass-as-the-only-way-to-enter-the-zone-on-the-power-play-so-do-it-at-all-costs" power play?  

:bigblush:

Never in my life have I hated a play as much as I hate that drop pass! I spent way too many Canucks power plays swearing at the players on the ice for being so predictable! 

• Cheers 1

Or how about that Nolan Baumgartner no-touch defensive zone strategy, that makes every other team's time in our zone a potential 'Sedin shift'?  Ever wonder why the tv broadcasts started using that graphic showing how long our defenders have been on the ice once the other team gets the puck in our zone?  That's something they invented just for us, thanks to Baumgartner!

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Or how about that Nolan Baumgartner no-touch defensive zone strategy, that makes every other team's time in our zone a potential 'Sedin shift'?  Ever wonder why the tv broadcasts started using that graphic showing how long our defenders have been on the ice once the other team gets the puck in our zone?  That's something they invented just for us, thanks to Baumgartner!

Ditto - Vegas in last years playoff,  took advantage of Baumers'.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Quinn Hughes used to be a one man breakout machine now he’s a one man drop pass machine. 

All the creativity beaten out of the guy by the stale bread breakout “system”

Why do we do this to our players? Not utilizing their special skills

It’d be like Washington not utilizing  ovechkins one timer on their pp..

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Not almost every time.  It is supposed to just be one bullet in your magazine… not the entire arsenal

That’s true. I’d be interested in seeing the leaguewide stats, though. Just watching the playoffs, it seems like most teams run around 70-75% drop pass/second wave on their PP breakouts, just by my eye test (I could be way off, of course).

I think having a full season of Pettersson will help us, but I also think we need to be coaching differently on the PP, because our breakouts are much too predictable, and we should be able to be more creative, and effective, even without Pettersson in the lineup, just given the talents of the other personnel available on the PP units.

EDIT: I also think our drop pass breakouts need to be more varied, as far as how they are actually executed. As in whether it’s a short drop or long reverse pass, and where it actually happens on the ice. Ideally, it’s not just one repeated play, but several different options, so that even the “predictable” drop pass isn’t easily anticipated.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

6 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

If these guys are hired, are they really replacing Brown and Baumgartner? I was under the impression that the Canucks were bringing them back and then hiring another assistant coach to help out.

I don’t think so. I noticed that when Benning talked about the rest of the coaching staff he was very noncommittal and didn’t mention either one of them specifically. He said that they still had to evaluate the remainder of the coaching staff, and only spoke specifically about Ian Clark, when asked. 

I’m thinking, and desperately hoping, that this means they’re on their way out. It would be the right move. Those two assistants aren’t cutting it and don’t deserve a second extension at all. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s true. I’d be interested in seeing the leaguewide stats, though. Just watching the playoffs, it seems like most teams run around 70-75% drop pass/second wave on their PP breakouts, just by my eye test (I could be way off, of course).

I think having a full season of Pettersson will help us, but I also think we need to be coaching differently on the PP, because our breakouts are much too predictable, and we should be able to be more creative, and effective, even without Pettersson in the lineup, just given the talents of the other personnel available on the PP units.

EDIT: I also think our drop pass breakouts need to be more varied, as far as how they are actually executed. As in whether it’s a short drop or long reverse pass, and where it actually happens on the ice. Ideally, it’s not just one repeated play, but several different options, so that even the “predictable” drop pass isn’t easily anticipated.

PP entry is really interesting to watch. If the D stand up at the blue line, the only way to attack it is by using speed to enter the zone. It's the parallel passes and the soft back hand passes at the blue line that drive me crazy in the zone set up. The Canucks try almost every player on the 1st PP unit going with speed. Horvat in my opinion is the best of the group, he does beat that first line of D most often. As of now the Canucks have no one with MacKinnon, Barzal, or McDavid speed to do it regularly, and to perfection. 

• Cheers 2