The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My final 2021-22 line-up wish list. (I tried to take in account what the fan base wants and management)

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would think TO would like to extend Hyman, but we'll see. I suspect he gets around 4 mil or so given his production lately. He's TO born and bred tho, I think he stays put. 

eastern media is convinced hyman will get $6 mil.

• Haha 3

I want to keep our 1st round picks this year and next. Don't trade them.  2 and 3 years out we need talent on Elc's. To clearly see why this is important look at 2023/2024. To begin that year we need to pay Hoglander his first contract after coming off his ELC and both Horvat and Miller will be due raises.  Without cheap talent we will be in cap trouble again.

I am however willing to give up a 2nd 2022 and prospect to trade for Risto out of Buffalo.  He wants to leave and has 1 year left on his contract before he is a UFA so I think Buff will deal on him.

If we get Risto our D is looking better. His cap is 5.4 and we have room after letting Edler and Sutter go and buying out Virt and Holtby and sending down Eriksson and Roussel.

Hughes  vs Ehrhoff

Risto      vs Salo

Schmidt  vs Bieksa

Rathbone vs Hamhuis

Myers     vs Rome

Juolevi  vs Edler

Not saying the current 6 would be equal to the 2011 crew but the gap is closing...as Hughes Rathbone and Juolevi get better with experience.

2022/23 we have cap room to add to the top 9 through trade or free agency and our 2021 9OA should be ready to join as a rookie.  That should be a good year.

Edited by fanfor42

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I highly doubt Seattle does Tampa a favour and picks one of those 5 players without getting something back in return.  They could simply pick another cheaper player from their roster or someone in the minors who they think highly of.  At the end of the day if Tampa wants to keep their young core intact they will need to sacrifice picks to get Seattle to take on a big contract and then they will need to buyout one or two of the other players.  Johnson's buyout would be ugly so he is probably the player that Tampa negotiates with Seattle to take.  

Sure I think there will be a sweetener involved too. But if TBL added no sweetener, Seattle would be stupid not to pick the best player available. This is likely to be Palat.

I think TBL will add a sweetener if they take Johnson instead of Palat.

They may also try to come to a deal where SEA takes two players + sweetener, e.g. Palat + Johnson + 2022 1st round pick

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah Tampa isn't likely moving Cernak. And if they do, it's not likely for a first (would require serious assets). We'd be far better off trying to target Foote (still unlikely but at least plausible).

They likely pay Seattle to take one of Johnson (likely) or McDonagh.

We could trade them Ferland for Killorn + (pick? prospect?) though. 'Dumping' one of Johnson/McDonagh to SEA and saving $1m on swapping Killorn/Ferland gets them just under the cap. Then they use Ferland's LTIR space to perhaps extend Savard (if he'll agree to wait to sign until a day after season opener/sign a PTO for camp).

Some other moves to explore:

-Roussel + Lind +? for Jenner

-Schmidt +? For Ladd (cap) + Dobson

-Re-sign Edler x 1 year and Hamonic x 2 as interim players.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Killorn, Jenner, Podkolzin

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

MacEwan?

Hughes, Hamonic (until Dobson is ready)

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers

Edler, Dobson

Juolevi/Rathbone/Edler rotate as spares.

Demko

Holtby

Why would NYI trade us Dobson for overpaid Schmidt?  

Dobson is going to be a star in this league. 

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

1-Schmidt is not overpaid.

2-Ladd.

With the flat cap expected to last through 2024/25 not sure many teams would give him 6M today.  There are only about 30 Ds that earn 6M or more.  

Trotz developed Suter, Weber, Jones, Josi, etc.  Do NYI really want to give up on Dobson with Trotz as coach and the success he has had in developing promising young Ds.  His upside seems more interesting than Schmidt's.  

Dobson is on an ELC for another season and Dobson + Ladd buried is less than Schmidt's cap hit.  Their other Ds are under contract/team control and NYI looks solid defensively.  Not really sure why they would want to make changes when it's working for them and it gives them another season to develop Dobson.

46 minutes ago, mll said:

With the flat cap expected to last through 2024/25 not sure many teams would give him 6M today.  There are only about 30 Ds that earn 6M or more.  

Trotz developed Suter, Weber, Jones, Josi, etc.  Do NYI really want to give up on Dobson with Trotz as coach and the success he has had in developing promising young Ds.  His upside seems more interesting than Schmidt's.  

Dobson is on an ELC for another season and Dobson + Ladd buried is less than Schmidt's cap hit.  Their other Ds are under contract/team control and NYI looks solid defensively.  Not really sure why they would want to make changes when it's working for them and it gives them another season to develop Dobson.

Pretty sure Schmidt would get at, or darn close to that same deal today. Top 4 D are still getting paid.

Not remotely claiming it's a slam dunk. Getting Dobson would be a coup. And we'd probably need to add to Schmidt beyond taking back Ladd (X2 years, not just this one) and his contract. But they are likely to lose a D in expansion (Mayfield?) and are in win now mode. Clearing Ladd this year and next and an in his prime Schmidt to replace that loss, likely helps them 'win now' more.

A lot would depend on how much incentive they have to get out from Ladd and who they lose in the ED.

Edited by aGENT

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure Schmidt would get at, or darn close to that same deal today. Top 4 D are still getting paid.

Not remotely claiming it's a slam dunk. Getting Dobson would be a coup. And we'd probably need to add to Schmidt beyond taking back Ladd (X2 years, not just this one) and his contract. But they are likely to lose a D in expansion (Mayfield?) and are in win now mode. Clearing Ladd this year and next and an in his prime Schmidt to replace that loss, likely helps them 'win now' more.

A lot would depend on how much incentive they have to get out from Ladd and who they lose in the ED.

Last time they made a deal with Vegas to take on the LTIR contract of Grabovsky for a 1st, 2nd round pick and have them select goalie Berube.  They were the only team to officially protect 5 Ds although others were automatically protected through that deal.  It was under Snow though and not Lamoriello. 

Pelech, Puloch will likely be protected.  Leddy is UFA in a season and has a 5.5M cap hit.  Mayfield’s contract is more cap friendly at only 1.45M and has 2 years left.  NYI has to sign Beauvillier and Sorokin and want to bring back Cizikas.  Palmieri has also been a good fit but Lee is out injured.  They probably need to find some cap room and it might mean protecting Mayfield over Leddy.

14 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Why would NYI trade us Dobson for overpaid Schmidt?  

Dobson is going to be a star in this league. 

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

1-Schmidt is not overpaid.

2-Ladd.

Yeah I thought that was a good deal too, until I proposed that deal to a NYI-supporting friend of mine who says their GM would counter with a Hughes + Eriksson + Roussel deal in return for Leddy...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah I thought that was a good deal too, until I proposed that deal to a NYI-supporting friend of mine who says their GM would counter with a Hughes + Eriksson + Roussel deal in return for Leddy...

Funny :lol: but not really THAT comparable. Nor are the teams situations. And again, I'd assume we'd be adding a prospect or something as well.

Edited by aGENT

6 hours ago, mll said:

Last time they made a deal with Vegas to take on the LTIR contract of Grabovsky for a 1st, 2nd round pick and have them select goalie Berube.  They were the only team to officially protect 5 Ds although others were automatically protected through that deal.  It was under Snow though and not Lamoriello. 

Pelech, Puloch will likely be protected.  Leddy is UFA in a season and has a 5.5M cap hit.  Mayfield’s contract is more cap friendly at only 1.45M and has 2 years left.  NYI has to sign Beauvillier and Sorokin and want to bring back Cizikas.  Palmieri has also been a good fit but Lee is out injured.  They probably need to find some cap room and it might mean protecting Mayfield over Leddy.

Sure. And then they may very well lose Leddy and have a need for a solid, in his prime, Schmidt.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Funny :lol: but not really THAT comparable. Nor are the teams situations. And again, I'd assume we'd be adding a prospect or something as well.

Correct about the team situations, but that shows you the value of Dobson to their franchise, as of right now and for the future. The NYI's are primed to lose Leddy to Seattle, and it will be somewhat of a good thing for them to clear the cap space. They will also look to try and move Ladd's contract somehow too, perhaps with picks rather than future stars like Dobson as the sweetener.

On 6/7/2021 at 6:19 AM, aGENT said:

Yeah Tampa isn't likely moving Cernak. And if they do, it's not likely for a first (would require serious assets). We'd be far better off trying to target Foote (still unlikely but at least plausible).

It will be interesting to see when TBL get round to Foote's contract. He has to be a prime target for an offer sheet.

Any team could offer $1.439m and TBL likely couldn't match that. They will be offering him close to $1m max. The offer sheet compensation would be....nothing.

And he also has to see the long line of Dmen ahead of him, all with NMC and NTC, which indicates that he is going to be nothing more than a bottom pairing guy for another 3 years at least. Maybe he would like a shot at a decent career and the opportunity to get paid for it...

Of course being on a contender is great, but if you aren't able to contribute to the success and you are on minimum wage, where is the personal reward?

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Correct about the team situations, but that shows you the value of Dobson to their franchise, as of right now and for the future. The NYI's are primed to lose Leddy to Seattle, and it will be somewhat of a good thing for them to clear the cap space. They will also look to try and move Ladd's contract somehow too, perhaps with picks rather than future stars like Dobson as the sweetener.

It's fair. I'd be loathe to lose him as well. Been quite high on him since his draft (and why I'd LOVE so much for us to get him). I get it's not likely. And he's also correspondingly the only reason I'd even consider taking on Ladd's 2 remaining years (and adding even to that).

Does NYI management care about 4 years from now Dobson more, or trying to win a cup in the next few years though... I guess that's the question? And what price would it take to get him... Worth kicking tires on IMO.

And yes, Foote is another target as well.

Edited by aGENT

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's fair. I'd be loathe to lose him as well. Been quite high on him since his draft (and why I'd LOVE so much for us to get him). I get it's not likely. And he's also correspondingly the only reason I'd even consider taking on Ladd's 2 remaining years (and adding even to that).

Does NYI management care about 4 years from now Dobson more, or trying to win a cup in the next few years though... I guess that's the question? And what price would it take to get him... Worth kicking tires on IMO.

And yes, Foote is another target as well.

Yeah I think NYI are trying to give it a damn good shake right now. And perhaps if they knew 100% that moving Dobson would get them a cup, then they'd do it. But its not that simple and they are also keeping a good young upcoming core intact (Barzal, Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Bellows, Dobson, Wilde, Salo, Sorokin) who will take over as their 30+ aged players age out in the next 3 years or so.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

It will be interesting to see when TBL get round to Foote's contract. He has to be a prime target for an offer sheet.

Any team could offer $1.439m and TBL likely couldn't match that. They will be offering him close to $1m max. The offer sheet compensation would be....nothing.

And he also has to see the long line of Dmen ahead of him, all with NMC and NTC, which indicates that he is going to be nothing more than a bottom pairing guy for another 3 years at least. Maybe he would like a shot at a decent career and the opportunity to get paid for it...

Of course being on a contender is great, but if you aren't able to contribute to the success and you are on minimum wage, where is the personal reward?

Question...unless it is Florida Dallas or another No tax  state the offer sheet would have to be higher to equal his Net pay , No ?

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah I think NYI are trying to give it a damn good shake right now. And perhaps if they knew 100% that moving Dobson would get them a cup, then they'd do it. But its not that simple and they are also keeping a good young upcoming core intact (Barzal, Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Bellows, Dobson, Wilde, Salo, Sorokin) who will take over as their 30+ aged players age out in the next 3 years or so.

Lou Lamoriello is one the best - good choice by Shanny to go with Dubas.