The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen update

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Personally, at this point, I hardly doubt Jake proves anything beyond what we already know about him on the ice.  He tries, but seems so unfocused.

I had high hopes for him but don't think his head's really in the game.  No pun intended.

Over him at this point.  Even if he succeeds elsewhere...I'll be happy for him like I am for Kassian.  Get your stuff together and enjoy this gift you have to its full potential even if somewhere else.  I am tired of the sideshow he brings and waiting for him to fully commit to the team.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Personally, at this point, I hardly doubt Jake proves anything beyond what we already know about him.

I had high hopes for him but don't think his head's really in the game.  No pun intended.

Over him at this point.  Even if he succeeds elsewhere...I'll be happy for him like I am for Kassian.  Get your stuff together and enjoy this gift you have to its full potential.  I just am tired of the sideshow he brings and waiting for him to fully commit to the team.

He was playing well pre Covid and I wonder as to how much of his lackluster performance this past year has had to do with “the Covid lifestyle.”  If Jake is found innocent, and IF it makes sense for the Canucks cap wise, I would absolutely be comfortable with giving Jake one last shot to prove himself in a post Covid world in which he resumes his normal life.   If he doesn’t perform?  We walk from

him when he becomes a UFA.   If he gets his game together?   Then - we’ve got a great asset on our hands.

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

He was playing well pre Covid and I wonder as to how much of his lackluster performance this past year has had to do with “the Covid lifestyle.”  If Jake is found innocent, and IF it makes sense for the Canucks cap wise, I would absolutely be comfortable with giving Jake one last shot to prove himself in a post Covid world in which he resumes his normal life.   If he doesn’t perform?  We walk from

him when he becomes a UFA.   If he gets his game together?   Then - we’ve got a great asset on our hands.

I feel like that ship has sailed already.  He was playing ok....his usual inconsistent self.  He has spurts of brilliance but nothing sustained.  A great game followed by 10 where you don't even realize he's playing.

image.png

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like that ship has sailed already.  He was playing ok....his usual inconsistent self.  He has spurts of brilliance but nothing sustained.  A great game followed by 10 where you don't even realize he's playing.

image.png

Good points, but I’m talking about the 19-20 season where he netted 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games.   He produced that primarily in a 3rd line role with almost zero power play time.   That’s pretty good if you ask me.   His game became garbage in the bubble and beyond, and my hypothesis is that he has struggled with the restriction introversion that comes with the Covid lifestyle.   Not all of us have the mental toughness of a Bo Horvat or a Michael Jordan.   Some guys are more reliant on a social life outside of hockey in order to actually perform better inside the rink?  Why?  Because - they are happier.  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Good points, but I’m talking about the 19-20 season where he netted 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games.   He produced that primarily in a 3rd line role with almost zero power play time.   That’s pretty good if you ask me.   His game became garbage in the bubble and beyond, and my hypothesis is that he has struggled with the restriction introversion that comes with the Covid lifestyle.   Not all of us have the mental toughness of a Bo Horvat or a Michael Jordan.   Some guys are more reliant on a social life outside of hockey in order to actually perform better inside the rink?  Why?  Because - they are happier.  

Would be interesting seeing him on a line with podz and whoever plays center for us this year. Maybe if he sees someone working harder than him he would elevate his game?

just kidding he wouldnt lol

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Would be interesting seeing him on a line with podz and whoever plays center for us this year. Maybe if he sees someone working harder than him he would elevate his game?

just kidding he wouldnt lol

Jake may not work harder, or ever become a smart hockey player, but his 19-20 game was consistent with that of a very good 3rd line hockey player.  18 goals / 36 points / almost zero PP time is nothing to scoff at.   I’d really be interested in seeing how Jake performs in a normal post Covid world, assuming that he’s absolved of all wrong doing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Cant help but feel the act of intercourse will become a signed declaration of services rendered, with video tape proof sometime in the near future. 

I am afraid for my son, and i would be afraid for a daughter if i had one. 

What worries me ( as a father) as much as any thing is the likelihood companies saying to themselves why would I risk employing a future sexual harassment case or worse still sexual discimination case, best steer clear and employ a man. It's one thing for a large corporation but a small or mid size company the legal battle may destroy the company for every one

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Jake may not work harder, or ever become a smart hockey player, but his 19-20 game was consistent with that of a very good 3rd line hockey player.  18 goals / 36 points / almost zero PP time is nothing to scoff at.   I’d really be interested in seeing how Jake performs in a normal post Covid world, assuming that he’s absolved of all wrong doing.

Same but this city or organization would never let it happen. Hes as good as gone imo. The media and progressive nitwits would probably torch rogers arena

On 6/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, shayster007 said:

The amount of victim blaming is both shocking and disgusting.

Yes I agree.   The amount of victim blaming is both shocking and disgusting.   

And by victim of course, I am referring to Jake Virtanen since he is innocent as of this writing.

• RoughGame 2

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Yes I agree.   The amount of victim blaming is both shocking and disgusting.   

And by victim of course, I am referring to Jake Virtanen since he is innocent as of this writing.

I hope you don't have a daughter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m not sure if Jake gets back to that season where he scored 18 goals and 18 assists. That was pretty good production. But since then he hasn’t even come close. I don’t even think it has to do with mental fortitude. I think it has to do with maturity, and he doesn’t have that…yet. Maybe he never matures, who knows. But at 24 years old, and being in the league now for what, 7-8 years now, just short of a decade. If you haven’t matured since then, I’m not sure it’s coming. If it is, I’m not sure if Benning or the management team or the entire organization is willing to wait over a decade for something that may never actually come to fruition. It’s kind of sad. He had everything skill set wise to become a dominant player in the league - his speed, his shot, his physical tools (body) - he had everything literally that any player could want in their tool kit, but he never was able, for whatever reason, to put it together. Maybe he does somewhere else, sadly. 

But I’m like 99 percent sure that it isn’t going to be here in Vancouver unfortunately. 

This is truly a sensitive issue, one which people have all sorts of views, some based on personal experience and some on personal bias. 

I totally agree, this is a subject to totally be careful with when talking about.

As for Jake, he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not public opinion.

And who ever is proven innocent should be treated as such. And who ever is proven guilty should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

PS.........stupid is not against the law, whether it is the man or the woman, or both!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not sure if Jake gets back to that season where he scored 18 goals and 18 assists. That was pretty good production. But since then he hasn’t even come close.

Time will tell obviously but I wouldn’t discount the effects that mental health has on people as a result of the “restrictive” covid lifestyle.

Everything you said might be right with regards to Jake, but I’d be willing to see how he performs in a normal post Covid world.

And what’s the worst that can happen?  If Virtanen continues to play like a chump, then we walk away from him when becomes a UFA.

Edited by Patel Bure

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Time will tell obviously but I wouldn’t discount the effects on mental health that Covid has on people.   

Everything you said might be right with regards to Jake, but I’d be willing to see how he performs in a normal post Covid world.

And what’s the worst that can happen?  If Virtanen continues to play like a chump, then we walk away from him when becomes a UFA.

Yep. I’d agree with that. There’s nothing to lose. I mean, he could probably play much worse than he has been recently (the last time he’s played). But that would just cement the fact and reality that the organization will eventually move off of him. I guess we’ll see how he performs once this whole case against him is done, assuming the organization wants to retain him after that. 

If we don't trade him or don't release him, we should send him down to Abby. Close to home, let him get his head straight and for him to just be willing to be coached and keep learning. Be good to spend a year away from the pressures of pro hockey. And keep the press hounds away from him. Too many factors to weigh in concretely here. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel