The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks sign Jonathan Dahlen

3 hours ago, gurn said:

San Jose, do you want to reunite Dahlen and Petey?

Here is what it costs you, imo:

After a second look, never mind, all they seem to have left is draft picks.

yeah, that's a team that doesn't look like it can be turned around quick. 

Basically Dahlen asked to be traded because he wants to play in the NHL and thinks he deserves a shot. Then Benning instead of handling it skillfully like a GM with words and EQ just shrugged his shoulders and trades Dahlen for lesser value. 

Nothing smokes and mirrors here, very straightforward to see. And no need to make up lies about the player Dahlen. We have seen so many players fallout with Benning over the years. Baertschi, Tanev, Toffoli... All saying Benning hardly communicates with them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

well i mean seeing the canucks roster in 2018-2019 it was pretty bad and the canucks had 0 intention to even give him a look is pretty disappointing.. we have goldobin leivo eriksson schaller gagner baertschi spooner all doing basically nothing.. i mean if the canucks would have given him couple games in the season or even to start the season and if he's not good enough then we can send them back down.. i'm sure if we had dahlen in the lineup for couple games it can't be any worse than any of the other players mentioned earlier.. problem with this team is they never give their prospect shots at the NHL once the season starts.. like this is literally the first time in green's tenure we have seen him trying out prospect at the end of the season once the team is eliminated.. and i'm betting it was just because of fatigue otherwise none of them would be playing.. the only guy that we gave chances to at end of season were boeser and hughes who were pretty much guranteed spots on the team the following year.. the canucks usually are eliminated after 70 games or so.. plenty of time for them to  give prospect looks but they feel non of them deserves a look till next year training camp.

• RoughGame 1

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Basically Dahlen asked to be traded because he wants to play in the NHL and thinks he deserves a shot. Then Benning instead of handling it skillfully like a GM with words and EQ just shrugged his shoulders and trades Dahlen for lesser value. 

Nothing smokes and mirrors here, very straightforward to see. And no need to make up lies about the player Dahlen. We have seen so many players fallout with Benning over the years. Baertschi, Tanev, Toffoli... All saying Benning hardly communicates with them. 

What a black mark on Jim. Doesn’t speak well of his abilities to communicate when players over and over again have said the same thing. 

That being said, I can’t believe Aquilini has retained and kept him for this long. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

How much time elapsed between Dahlen wanting out and him getting traded?

Your post seems to make it like a Dahlen wants out today, J.B. trades him tommorrow, and I'm reasonably sure there was time, and talks between the request and the actual trade.

• Cheers 2

Jeebus the amount of vitriol spat at benning for a mean nothing signing by a long shot player. 

I shudder to think what people would be slinging if Frank Corrado signed in europe or, heaven forbid, Niklas Jensen. 

Its like ..... “Benning didnt do what i feel he should, so i hope he gets hit by a truck after being diagnosed with cancer that he gave to his children who died in a plane crash.” 

What a bunch of angry little trolls, jumping up and down shaking their fists at their laptop screens. 

People disgust me. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:00 AM, wai_lai416 said:

well i mean seeing the canucks roster in 2018-2019 it was pretty bad and the canucks had 0 intention to even give him a look is pretty disappointing.. we have goldobin leivo eriksson schaller gagner baertschi spooner all doing basically nothing.. i mean if the canucks would have given him couple games in the season or even to start the season and if he's not good enough then we can send them back down.. i'm sure if we had dahlen in the lineup for couple games it can't be any worse than any of the other players mentioned earlier.. problem with this team is they never give their prospect shots at the NHL once the season starts.. like this is literally the first time in green's tenure we have seen him trying out prospect at the end of the season once the team is eliminated.. and i'm betting it was just because of fatigue otherwise none of them would be playing.. the only guy that we gave chances to at end of season were boeser and hughes who were pretty much guranteed spots on the team the following year.. the canucks usually are eliminated after 70 games or so.. plenty of time for them to  give prospect looks but they feel non of them deserves a look till next year training camp.

I agree - the team was doing terribly and we could have played him a few games with EP just to give him a shot, maybe 5 or 7 games to see if he could produce anything at the NHL level. When I watched him in the AHL he looked fantastic. Baertschi actually looked great that year with 9 goals in 26 games but had a lot of injuries. 

The biggest mystery is Gaunce - he had very solid underlying numbers with the lowest percentage of offensive zone starts in the NHL, gets sent down to the AHL the next year. 

3 game call-up, finishes with 3 points, +3, 4 hits and 61% in the faceoff dot. I think he could have developed into a very good fourth line player and played well in his role. 

The frustrating thing about Jim is he has expectations on certain players. Wanted Gaunce to play more uptempo, Tryamkin to be more aggressive, Jense to kill penalties and then we end up losing those players despite them being young and performing well for their salary. At the same time he is willing to blow cap space on "character guys" who do those things but bleed chances and are on the decline. A vet can score a goal per million dollars and its fine but a rookie essentially has to be a top line level player to stick. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I agree - the team was doing terribly and we could have played him a few games with EP just to give him a shot, maybe 5 or 7 games to see if he could produce anything at the NHL level. When I watched him in the AHL he looked fantastic. Baertschi actually looked great that year with 9 goals in 26 games but had a lot of injuries. 

The biggest mystery is Gaunce - he had very solid underlying numbers with the lowest percentage of offensive zone starts in the NHL, gets sent down to the AHL the next year. 

3 game call-up, finishes with 3 points, +3, 4 hits and 61% in the faceoff dot. I think he could have developed into a very good fourth line player and played well in his role. 

The frustrating thing about Jim is he has expectations on certain players. Wanted Gaunce to play more uptempo, Tryamkin to be more aggressive, Jense to kill penalties and then we end up losing those players despite them being young and performing well for their salary. At the same time he is willing to blow cap space on "character guys" who do those things but bleed chances and are on the decline. A vet can score a goal per million dollars and its fine but a rookie essentially has to be a top line level player to stick. 

I agree that I would have liked the Canucks to give Gaunce more of a chance but I can also see why they decided not to keep him.  The difficulty with young players who cannot carve out a niche quickly is that there is a constant flow of new prospects itching to make it to the big show and veterans who have plied their trade who may be more attractive to managers.  Gaunce was one of those guys.  I don't think Gaunce's destiny was entirely the call of Benning.  His usage game to game would presumably be more on coaching, and that usage was very limited.  The knock on Gaunce from the get go was his skating and while that improved and he was reasonably productive at the AHL level, something about his game just wasn't enough for him to get more of a look.  It's not like the Canucks were the only team to not give him a chance.  Boston signed him and he barely got a chance either.

As for Dahlen, to me he's a top-6 or bust type player and for whatever reason, it seems like Canucks management from Benning down to the development team in Utica did not seem convinced.  Personally I agree with others that the Canucks probably had nothing to lose with giving Dahlen a chance to show what he could do at the NHL level. Now that Dahlen has signed with the Sharks, I guess we'll get to see if management was right.

I agree in general that there is a theme of Benning (and perhaps management in general) not communicating well with players which is concerning.  For the most part however, the Canucks also don't seem to have been entirely wrong about most departed players.  The ones that have done reasonably well post departure (e.g. McCann, Forsling) weren't necessarily "thrown" away, even if the return the Canucks received ultimately turned out to be far below expectation (i.e. Gudbranson and Clendening).