The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hamonic willing to play outside western canada

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The $11.95 mill we paid last year to Edler and Schmidt? 

Was a much bigger problem than potentially paying Hamonic 2 or 3 years at $3 or $4 mill.  

As is believing Chatfield can take over 2 knd pair minutes!!!    Jett Woo is also not ready, and Brogan Rafferty is UFA.  Schmidt a LHD.  

Hamonic at 3 x 2 is fine ... Hamonic at 3 x 4 or 4 x 3 is not fine.   Schmidt can play the R side too.     What worries me more then anything, is QHs success entirely depends on the "right" defenseman, and he was (Hamonic) the best of the bunch while paired with him. Hamonic is more important to our team then Edler at this point, have said that - but if we start getting to the 4 million mark might as well start considering a different alternative.    Like trading Schmidt and going after Hamilton with AP money.    Or trading QHs.  Or something drastic.   I'm happy to wait and see how the chips falls this year with OJ and Rathbone, so would prefer to see Edler gone (Schmidt can also play the L side), and Hamonic re-signed.   4 x 2 wouldn't be the end of the world i guess either.    The term is a sticky point though.   Larson or Savard are other options as well.   To me QHs 5 x 5 minutes need to be managed a lot more, closer to 3rd paring then 2 pairing numbers 5 x 5.  It's something i'm sure the staff will have realized and taken note on,  i get he's the best option to help us catch up when  behind a goal on the back end .... but not really, at least last season which was a screwy one anyways.   

Whomever is paired with QHs is ideally suited as the 3rd pairing 5 x 5 until we can find a better guy to play with him.   As of right now Hamonic appears to be that guy. 

Team went through the same thing with the Sedins.   That took a long time, but for sure worked out in the end.   The difference is QHs came in and did so much better, so there is hope for sure.   IF QHs ends up playing the type of smart game Brian Campbell managed in a much tougher and era,  and still puts up the type of points he's capable of, he will win Norris trophies and end up in the HHOF.   Worst case is another Barrie but on the left side.   Both have a ton of value. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hamonic at 3 x 2 is fine ... Hamonic at 3 x 4 or 4 x 3 is not fine.   Schmidt can play the R side too.     What worries me more then anything, is QHs success entirely depends on the "right" defenseman, and he was (Hamonic) the best of the bunch while paired with him. Hamonic is more important to our team then Edler at this point, have said that - but if we start getting to the 4 million mark might as well start considering a different alternative.    Like trading Schmidt and going after Hamilton with AP money.    Or trading QHs. 

While I don’t think the super cheap deals folks are talking about are on the table… I think there is a deal to be had at the 3x3 mark max… anything more/longer would make the trade market a bette bet to fill that roster spot.

If he over prices himself, then we can also just go sign the next veteran on a 1 year, cheap deal who is squeezed out due to cap reasons and having a hard time finding a contract.

I just hope that Benning sees it the same way…

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hamonic at 3 x 2 is fine ... Hamonic at 3 x 4 or 4 x 3 is not fine.   Schmidt can play the R side too.     What worries me more then anything, is QHs success entirely depends on the "right" defenseman, and he was (Hamonic) the best of the bunch while paired with him. Hamonic is more important to our team then Edler at this point, have said that - but if we start getting to the 4 million mark might as well start considering a different alternative.    Like trading Schmidt and going after Hamilton with AP money.    Or trading QHs. 

remake bingo GIF

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

that seems high to me, when you could probably get a guy like Ceci for ~2 mil. Yes he was often maligned in Ottawa, but he's been better since leaving there. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that seems high to me, when you could probably get a guy like Ceci for ~2 mil. Yes he was often maligned in Ottawa, but he's been better since leaving there. 

I was high on Ceci last season but got burned a little for suggesting him.   But good idea.   QHs needs a placeholder, or we need to make the deal now to acquire the long term partner.   That's going to take some unbelievable pro scouting.   Manson in ANA is a great target to consider too, with a trade and sign.  Could be our Willie Mitchell. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I was high on Ceci last season but got burned a little for suggesting him.   But good idea.   QHs needs a placeholder, or we need to make the deal now to acquire the long term partner.   That's going to take some unbelievable pro scouting.   Manson in ANA is a great target to consider too, with a trade and sign.  Could be our Willie Mitchell. 

we may just need to have a revolving door of RHD for Quinn until the right guy comes along via draft. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Exactly. How much are guys like Ceci or Hakanpaa going to cost?

I'd rather sign one of them or just target Larsson 1st, Savard 2nd, than overspend trying to keep Hamonic.  We should in no way be desperate.

We like you Travis, here's our offer to stay. If not, we're looking at other options.

• Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly. How much are guys like Ceci or Hakanpaa going to cost?

I'd rather sign one of them or just target Larsson 1st, Savard 2nd, than overspend trying to keep Hamonic.  We should in no way be desperate.

We like you Travis, here's our offer to stay. If not, we're looking at other options.

I think the fact that there are other options led to his agent doing his fake pressure move this week. As if Jim's going to sign him pre-expansion draft :picard:

Realistically this is another development year where we're a bubble playoff team. And thats just fine, the group needs that time to gel. Its funny that people point to Colorado and how we should be them but somehow skip over the development years part.

So. no we don't need to go out and over spend in $ and term for Hamoic. If he wants to stay on a good deal thats great. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the fact that there are other options led to his agent doing his fake pressure move this week. As if Jim's going to sign him pre-expansion draft :picard:

Realistically this is another development year where we're a bubble playoff team. And thats just fine, the group needs that time to gel. Its funny that people point to Colorado and how we should be them but somehow skip over the development years part.

So. no we don't need to go out and over spend in $ and term for Hamoic. If he wants to stay on a good deal thats great. 

True.  And COL did completely fluke out with the Duchene deal, who knew after a goal away from the cup final that team would completely implode with added firepower - the Bryam pick, if things worked out, should have been more like a 20-25th overall.    Personally i feel that could end up our future but we are still one year away at least if not two.   Timing of contacts means next off season would be basically the same time that Sakic made those trades though (Barrie and Duchene with one year left on each deal) so also get why those comps are been made.   Horvat is Landeskog, Mckinnon is EP in this case, BB and Miller are the two trade chips ... 

COL is a contender for a variety of reasons, but really it mostly comes down to the draft and the willingness to trade the first guys drafted during their rebuild to plug holes.    We are not like them though.   IMO it's going to take both a good trade and good drafting to put us into a similar situation.   Drafting BPA invevitably creates holes in the lineup, so far we've taken one organizational pick in OJ and it didn't work out so well.  

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

While I don’t think the super cheap deals folks are talking about are on the table… I think there is a deal to be had at the 3x3 mark max… anything more/longer would make the trade market a bette bet to fill that roster spot.

If he over prices himself, then we can also just go sign the next veteran on a 1 year, cheap deal who is squeezed out due to cap reasons and having a hard time finding a contract.

I just hope that Benning sees it the same way…

3 x 3 would be reasonable for the team and the player.  No issues with that, Hamonic got better as the season went along.  Not only was he rusty for not having a pre-season/camp to get to know his new team, we also didn't have time for a single practice at the start of the year.  Then he got injured (surprise, surprise) so he was behind the 8-ball for most of the year.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as ibatch said, the x factor here is that he made Hughes a steadier dman and you can't discount that.  Not just anyone can play with a Quinn Hughes and understand what he needs to do, Hamonic does and that would likely factor into a negotiation.

Just now, stawns said:

as ibatch said, the x factor here is that he made Hughes a steadier dman and you can't discount that.  Not just anyone can play with a Quinn Hughes and understand what he needs to do, Hamonic does and that would likely factor into a negotiation.

It could also depend on how his pair is deployed next year too. I'm not sure we need to go out and find a perfect match for Quinn tho, the kid is so skilled I think he'll pick up more of his end over the next couple of years as he gains more experience. He's not even close to a finished product. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

It could also depend on how his pair is deployed next year too. I'm not sure we need to go out and find a perfect match for Quinn tho, the kid is so skilled I think he'll pick up more of his end over the next couple of years as he gains more experience. He's not even close to a finished product. 

a player like Hughes has to play with someone who understands how he plays and can free him up to play that game, that takes trust and chemistry and you can't slot just anyone in there and expect it to work.  Granted Hamonic isn't the only guy who can fill that role, but aren't you better with the devil you know?  Hamonic is also an legitimate top 4 dman, not just a guy who can play with Quinn.........why skimp?

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we weren’t as bad as our record. Maybe if our schedule wasn’t the worst in NHL history it could’ve been better.

From everything I’ve heard our group is a tight group

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

a player like Hughes has to play with someone who understands how he plays and can free him up to play that game, that takes trust and chemistry and you can't slot just anyone in there and expect it to work.  Granted Hamonic isn't the only guy who can fill that role, but aren't you better with the devil you know?  Hamonic is also an legitimate top 4 dman, not just a guy who can play with Quinn.........why skimp?

Tanev says hi.

If the Canucks want to be a contender in a few years, they need to find a better partner for Hughes than Hamonic. He was serviceable there but should not be the solution for 3-4 years at 2nd pairing money.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

It took Hamonic awhile to get his feet under him. But I agree he’s a Top 4 dmen when going but those early games with him where rough

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Tanev says hi.

If the Canucks want to be a contender in a few years, they need to find a better partner for Hughes than Hamonic. He was serviceable there but should not be the solution for 3-4 years at 2nd pairing money.

Once Hamonic shook off the rust of not playing for 60% of a year, he was rock solid.  I'd have zero issues with him in the top 4 going forward.  He's an excellent dman

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Once Hamonic shook off the rust of not playing for 60% of a year, he was rock solid.  I'd have zero issues with him in the top 4 going forward.  He's an excellent dman

I would have zero issue with him too. If one of Myers or Schmidt is traded.

That right side aint getting it done especially if any of the 3 are partners with Hughes.

If the Canucks arent going to find a truly effective top pairing quality all around D partner - rather than a serviceable one - for Hughes to get the most out of him, they may as well trade him for a more well rounded LHD who can play with the right side guys they have.