The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hamonic willing to play outside western canada

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is all true.   But he's not worth much more.   Not in flat cap at his age.   There are others available to go after.  For sure he was worth more then what we paid him last season,  but it's a bad bad idea to re-sign him at 3 x 4 or 4 x 3 or something like that.   Remember Schenn?  Or even Benn.  Who also had a decent season.   We don't have to pay our 3 paring D's 3 million.   2-2.5 would work.   If it doesn't work with our cap structure move on.   Wouldn't call Hamonic year fantastic, but i would for sure re-sign him before Edler but only because of the age difference.   Hamonic still has good hockey left for sure.   But i'm also sure he's looking for a 3-4 year deal... would you bank on that?  

There was a flat cap last off season & Tanev was poached.  The ''best''  openly available RHD on the market. Who could actually play defence anyway.  Your characterization of 3rd pair usage for Hamonic is not real accurate. Jordie Benn, Jalen Chatfield, Olli Juolevi, when in the line up, played 13 or 14 minutes a night.  Schenn played 11 or 12 minutes a night when he was here, by memory? Played 10:45 TOI for Tampa this year. One of these things is not like the others; Hamonic!

Who played just shy of 20 minutes a game; 1 min 30 less a game tham Edler. A trend that would change as Edler is 36. 40 seconds less a game than $6 million dollar man Nate Schmidt. And would resume playing 21 or 22 minutes a night healthy.  

He will command a good dollar on the open market; Hamilton the marquee guy. Maybe behind Adam Larsson, but ahead of David Savard?

We could pay ''the other'' RHD, a glorified forward Tyson Barrie $4 mill? Become a run & gun Harlem Glob Trotter style team...

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

A Year too long. I didnt find harmonic amazing actually when i think about it literally any of our d was very good. I guess everyone just wants the same re-sign harmonic and edler. 

I am perfectly fine having Hughes, Juolevi, and Rathbone on the left side next year and seeing what they can do with it. Let Edler walk and if Hamonic wants more than 1 year at sub 2 mil, let him walk too. Schmidt and Myers on the right with those guys is serviceable for now. Shaw should be able to build decent balanced pairings and tweak the system to get more out of what we have.

If you can get a guy like Larsson on a good deal, do it. Otherwise replace Hamonic with someone inexpensive. Maybe Jordie Benn would sign a cheap 1 year deal to come back. But there are a lot of cheaper options available out there. No need to overpay Hamonic imo.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

signing a guy like Larsson would be a better way to go

I am not sure I disagree?  I don't.  Presuming Larsson wants to be here...

That said he played 17 seconds a game this year 19:37 more than Hamonic at 19:22.

Is 3 years younger, adds speed.

The odds of us getting him are not that great in comparison though. And Larsson, for his 17 seconds a game will cost more.

While everyone believes we have the power in the market to be penny pinching!  Pocket GM'ing is not a valid occupation, except on CDC.

Here is the thing.  Hamonic would play with Edler.  Against all the tough match ups. Which he has done his whole career. Except that we needed a RHD to coddle Hughes.  Our D was sh!t with him missing from the line up the first third of the season. We were competitive nearly as soon as he returned. My opinion our D falls apart without, and we may not be able to replace TH.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That said he played 17 seconds a game this year 19:37 more than Hamonic at 19:22.

The odds of us getting him are not that great in comparison though. And Larsson, for his 17 seconds a game will cost more.

While everyone believes we have the power in the market to be penny pinching!  Pocket GM'ing is not a valid occupation, except on CDC.

Here is the thing.  Hamonic would play with Edler.  Against all the tough match ups. Which he has done his whole career. Except that we needed a RHD to coddle Hughes.  Our D was sh!t with him missing from the line up the first third of the season. We were competitive nearly as soon as he returned. My opinion our D falls apart without, and we may not be able to replace TH.

I dont think Hamonic is a bad player. He actually adds some things our defense overall is lacking. I just dont think he is the longer term solution to play with Hughes. And neither are Schmidt or Myers. 

Thats a huge issue for me. Hughes needs a true top pairing quality guy beside him. One of Myers, Schmidt, or Hamonic woukd need to go next summer at the longest to make that a reality. Both those other guys have term and would be more difficult to trade. So committing term to Hamonic now essentially locks in the right side as is and imo its not set up to support the guy they are building around.

If we had a Juolevi-Hamonic I think that could be an effective pair. Even Rathbone-Hamonic could go a long way to giving us a solid 6 deep group. But neither happens if it means Myers or Schmidt is with Hughes. The only option of the 3 imo is Hamonic. And to be competitive and get the most out of Hughes, his partner longer term needs to be better than that.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am perfectly fine having Hughes, Juolevi, and Rathbone on the left side next year and seeing what they can do with it. Let Edler walk and if Hamonic wants more than 1 year at sub 2 mil, let him walk too. Schmidt and Myers on the right with those guys is serviceable for now. Shaw should be able to build decent balanced pairings and tweak the system to get more out of what we have.

If you can get a guy like Larsson on a good deal, do it. Otherwise replace Hamonic with someone inexpensive. Maybe Jordie Benn would sign a cheap 1 year deal to come back. But there are a lot of cheaper options available out there. No need to overpay Hamonic imo.

I’d like to see what a healthy and well conditioned Juolevi paired with Schmidt would look like. They kinda cover each other’s weaknesses IMO. 

Edited by Sean Monahan

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’d like to see what a healthy and well conditioned Juolevi paired with Schmidt would look like. They kinda cover each other’s weaknesses IMO. 

I would think that could be a good pairing that gets more out of both. Juolevi has earned a chance at regular minutes now imo. And Schmidt needs to be able to play his game.

Rathbone-Myers is another pair I feel could be solid. Rathbone has a small sample size obviously but he looks like he will be able to play a good defensive game.

That leaves a huge need for a partner for Hughes. Hamonic is serviceable there but I really think its a waste of Hughes to not have a top all around RHD with him.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would think that could be a good pairing that gets more out of both. Juolevi has earned a chance at regular minutes now imo. And Schmidt needs to be able to play his game.

Rathbone-Myers is another pair I feel could be solid. Rathbone has a small sample size obviously but he looks like he will be able to play a good defensive game.

That leaves a huge need for a partner for Hughes. Hamonic is serviceable there but I really think its a waste of Hughes to not have a top all around RHD with him.

Hamonic is a textbook placeholder in that spot as far as I’m concerned. The team really needs to upgrade that spot. If Parayko hits the market next summer that might be their best bet. With his relatively modest offensive numbers I can’t see him commanding outrageous money, especially if he’s given term. Larsson might be a decent fit if they want to address that spot this summer. 

If they do decide to put it off for next summer and Hamonic walks it could be a tough year for Hughes though. Neither Schmidt nor Myers are a great fit with him.  

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Edler coming back almost guarantees Green and company overuse him and it means one of Juolevi or Rathbone are sitting or traded.

Yeah, time to move on and give OJ & Rathbone a chance in the NHL - Edler has had a good run and he is not cutting it anymore; perhaps they can sign him to play in Abbotsford to appease the nostalgic crowd.  

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think Hamonic is a bad player. He actually adds some things our defense overall is lacking. I just dont think he is the longer term solution to play with Hughes. And neither are Schmidt or Myers

Essentially you are saying get rid of;

Hamonic

Edler

Myers

Schmidt.

Not happy with anyone.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think what it comes down to, is that Hamonic makes a LOT of sense at under $2.5... maybe $3m, and likely 2 years, as a solid interim guy to play with Hughes, that we can also slide down the pairings if we manage a bigger fish next summer (Parayko? Risto? Etc). That cap hit/term is manageable to move down your roster.

More money than that and I'd prefer we target guys like Larsson (1st) or Savard. Otherwise we just look for a cheaper 3rd pair guy with some physicality and roll with Myers, Schmidt and that guy.

Even better if Benning can snag an ED exposure guy like Foote, Mayfield etc.